Toes go numb on elliptical

Options

Replies

• karley511
    karley511 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make sure your weight is on your heels, not on your toes. I use one all the time and this doesn't happen to me.
  • angijunbug
    Options
    I have that same thing happen to me after about 20 minutes! Thank for posting this! I see a lot of good suggestions & I will have to give them a try as well.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bend your knees and stay back on your heals. This used to happen to me but I was given that advice. The tendency is to lean forward too much. Not a problem once I corrected the posture.

This is what my trainer told me too, focus on leaning back on your heels instead of your toes. It does help once it's started to wiggle your toes, which is hard when your moving, but it helps.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue and couldn't get rid of it, then I switched to running and haven't missed that elliptical one bit.
  • ChristiMightGetFit
    Options
    I read somewhere that It is easy to focus all your weight onto your toes when using the elliptical without even realizing it. The pressure on the front of your foot can disrupt blood flow to your toes. Your foot should roll through each step, heel striking first, roll through the middle, and push off with the toes.
  • lgcyfrms
    Options
    That happens to me everyday! I am a rider so I figured it was because I was pushing off my toes as one tends to do in the stirrup. I guess that is not the case! I found when I put my feet all the way to the back on the peddle with my heel slightly off the edge it goes away.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    vibram fivefingers = solution
  • Janalynrenee18
    Janalynrenee18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank god im not the only one........ I thought i was a freak... :)
  • sdb111
    sdb111 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had that problem until I started changing the positions of my feet while exercising. That has made a huge difference. Also try to push with your heel instead of the balls of your feet. I hope it helps.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    really . . . i can use elliptical for well over an hour with no problem. what the hades am i doing wrong not to get my toes going numb????? seriously you may wish to consult a personal trainer at the gym and pose your question if not satisfied with responses here. possibly your shoes or how you are positioning your feet on the pedals or the need to reverse course every so often.
  • loblo23
    Options
    I have the same issue and finally got it checked out. Turns out I have pinched nerves between my L4,L5, and S1 discs in my low back. Never had low back pain but had awful foot numbness! My physical therapists said that when I am on the elliptical I need to make sure my core is tight and that I am on a medium grade incline so that my pelvis is at a less stressful angle. That really does seem to help!
  • Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's probably from your piriformis muscle tightening across your sciatic nerve which will cause a tingling/numbness sensation in your toes. You just have to adjust the way you are "running" on it so your sacrum isn't tilted forward so much. :) All of the suggestions to lift your heels will help, good luck!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Do you train on your tippy toes? Try it flat footed. It helps
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I have the same problem but I can't adjust the incline because the type of machine I use only allows you to change in resistance. As another member mentioned, bending your knees slightly and applying pressure to your heels should help- atleast I don't notice the numbness/tingling anymore.

I use this & it's awesome! http://www.precor.com/products/en/home/amt/amtr-835-adaptive-motion-trainer
  • ycassidy
    ycassidy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The motion on the elliptical forces weight forward, and pushes too much on the ball of the foot. Typical running is heel striking, then a rolling motion through the ball, onto the toes and off. However, on an elliptical, the hell strike is skipped. If you are at a gym, increase the incline slightly...doesn't have to be much, just enough to get you to set back on your heels...you will feel the difference as you heels will set back in the shoes more on the strike. Another factor to consider is shoes. Running shoes are at an angle with a cushioned heel, again to absorb on the heel strike. Use a shoe with a lower flatter heel...notice that cross training shoes have a much lower angle of attack than a running shoe.

good luck..
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I don't know why but I just work through it. I usually switch and reverse.
  • CTK3989
    CTK3989 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If your toes are going numb, that means you are putting weight on your toes. Lean back a little and focus your weight in your heals.
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OH MY! I seriously thought I was the only one in the world who this happened too!!! HA HA!!! :)
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously flat footed, so I've done the elliptical with and without shoes on, to see if it would make a difference.

Nope. My toes get all tingly and numb no matter what I do.

Glad to know that I'm not alone!! :)
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Typical running is heel striking, then a rolling motion through the ball, onto the toes and off. However, on an elliptical, the hell strike is skipped. If you are at a gym, increase the incline slightly...doesn't have to be much, just enough to get you to set back on your heels...you will feel the difference as you heels will set back in the shoes more on the strike. Another factor to consider is shoes. Running shoes are at an angle with a cushioned heel, again to absorb on the heel strike. Use a shoe with a lower flatter heel...notice that cross training shoes have a much lower angle of attack than a running shoe.

good luck..

Heel-striking is a terrible way to run. I know we're talking no impact eliptical here, but as far as running goes you're putting way more stress in your joints heel-striking to an already higher impact workout. You "should" have a mid-foot or ball strike with a slight heel tap as you push onto the next stride. If you're heel-striking while running your stride is too long. Your foot should hit the ground under your center of gravity, not ahead of it so your arch and joints can absorb the impact the way they're designed to.

Sorry to get off topic.