Anyone else using FitBit?

Options
Anyone else out there using FitBit? I just got one, and am excited about using it. I synced that site with this one because I like the food/activity entry here better. It also seems as if the community is more active. So I was just curious if anyone else out there is interested in challenging each other with this little glorified pedometer! :tongue:

Happy Monday all!

Replies

• Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but I've been looking at them. How is it for accuracy? If you wear it in a car does the car vibration tell you you've burn a bunch of calories even though you were just sitting there? I am really close to ordering one. I'd love to hear your feedback on it.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been using fitbit for just over a month. Riding in a car doesn't seem to have much effect. I don't know for sure how it can distinguish between running and walking but it appears to. I went for a 2 mile run immediately followed by a 5 mile walk and it had higher calorie burn for the portion I was running, even though it was all coded "very active."

I like how it syncs to MFP. Some people complain that it isn't as accurate as a HRM for calorie burn. However, when my husband and I both compared 30 day calorie burn on fitbit versus intake it corresponds nearly exactly to the weight we've each lost. Seems pretty good to me.

In short - I really like it and it has opened my eyes how sedentary my workday schedule is - therefore motivates me to get moving!
  • rkmnp
    rkmnp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It's made me realize that I am a terrible judge of how active I've been during the day. It is so motivating to look down at it throughout the day and know just how active (or inactive) I have been.

I agree with you...MFP site is much better than FB. There is a group on here for MFP + FB users...definitely check that out!
  • my_username_was_taken
    Options
    I love mine!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost a month and really love how motivating it is!
  • kauaibaby
    kauaibaby Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks and I'm addicted to it! I love how I can let it link to my fitness pal and I get a very accurate adjustment. Please add me I would love to have a group of friends working it off with a fitbit!
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this is your all talking about, but im thinking its something worth checking out:)
  • Jcao1214
    Jcao1214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit 2 days ago and I'm addicted. As far as riding in the car if you log the activity in the activity log it will discount any perceived "steps" during that time period
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have considered getting a fitbit for a while. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I may.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks and I'm addicted to it! I love how I can let it link to my fitness pal and I get a very accurate adjustment. Please add me I would love to have a group of friends working it off with a fitbit!

I've been interested in this too. What does it adjust? Does it count as exercise calories or does it modify your base calorie requirements because I imagine just moving around during the day is already represented in the mfp base calorie calculation. I think you all have me sold. It looks like fun. I used to wear a regular pedometer as I do work in an office environment and it did get me moving more throughout the day. That one failed and I tried some iPhone apps but now I think this looks pretty cool.
    Anyone tried it for sleep patterns ?
  • CoffeeAndCrazy
    CoffeeAndCrazy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work in a psychology lab that is testing and refining FitBits right now. We have 25 of them, and have determined that they are indeed a reliable way to measure basic physical activity. We've done tests in which 2 FitBits have been placed on each hip, shoulder, and in pockets. They all measure within 10 steps or so of each other. We have a program that graphs steps per minute for a more accurate view of the step count. That's for activities more like the treadmill, running, and other full body movement. We are currently looking at specific levels of activity. We have trouble classifying certain activities for reliability however. The levels are based on previous studies, and we are in the process of tweaking them to apply to a wider spectrum of physical activity. We currently are working with kids. We all know how active they can be, and they definitely engage in tons of different movements during recess. Things like monkey bars, slides, kickball, jump rope, etc give interesting results, but we're still in the preliminary stages. If you have questions about the FitBit itself, feel free to ask, but that's about all I can reveal about our work so far :)
  • tcsmomma
    Options
    I just got mine on Friday and have used it religiously ever since LOL I love it! It really does seem to be fairly accurate. Every once and a while I'll check my step count and then I'll count myself from that number and check it again. It's usually within one step of being exactly what I counted. I use it all day long, but specifically ordered it to see what I was burning and how active I am at work (retail in the airport). So I spend a pretty good portion of the day on my feet. Not necessarily 'active' (this I've discovered since I got my FitBit LOL). It's definitely a motivator.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The sleep withing was very interesting to me...who knew I woke up 12-14 times a night? No wonder I'm tired!
  • Fitness4Paul
    Options
    Very cool. Thanks for that scientific input. I'm going to order one for sure now.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Got an e-mail that mine shipped today!!! I can't wait to get it and begin using it. I've been through several low-cost pedometers in the last five years.
    My cousin has one and absolutely loves it!
    Kaye
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about a week and a half, and initially, I wasn't sold, but then the other day, I was on a special assignment and I did so much walking and had so much more physical activity that day, than normal. I would check it periodically to see where I was, and I kept challenging myself to walk or do just a little bit more, By the end of the day, i'd walked 13,848 steps, and I was super excited. Now I can't seem to get enough of it. Feel free to add me.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Love mine! Anyone want fitbit friends on that site too, add me!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I've been interested in this too. What does it adjust? Does it count as exercise calories or does it modify your base calorie requirements because I imagine just moving around during the day is already represented in the mfp base calorie calculation. I think you all have me sold. It looks like fun. I used to wear a regular pedometer as I do work in an office environment and it did get me moving more throughout the day. That one failed and I tried some iPhone apps but now I think this looks pretty cool.
    Anyone tried it for sleep patterns ?
    It seems really accurate with my sleep, if I'm restless it shows and it's just cool. :wink:
  • viclsmith
    viclsmith Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just received mine today and synced it with my computer and added the app to my phone. Cant wait until tomorrow to begin using it. I currently have a broken foot so I am limited in how much I walk but no less it will help motivate me. Glad to see others are also using it. Let's all keep in touch.
  • smadrigal04
    Options
    I got mine for Christmas and love it! I didn't realize how much I was burning at work until I started wearing it. Found out I wasn't eating enough calories due to the calories burned at work! Now that I've upped my calories, I'm starting to finally lose the weight! And I never realized how many times I actually wake up during the night too! I highly recommend it!