please help me not feel guilty :(

Options
mfp has me eating 1200 a day. and ive been so good everyday. but today i ate closer to 2,000 cal...only burning about 200.300 of those. i feel guilty. please help me not feed so down on myself :( what i gained back all that i lost last week or something. :/ mmm. i was just really hungry. :/ but ill do better now. only my first oops in over a month.

Replies

• juliekat1955
    Options
    Don't feel bad, it's only one day. Tomorrow is a new day and if you continue with the 1200, that 2000 that you had today won't matter.

Hugs
    Julie
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It isn't what happens each day. It's all about the average. If you average everyday for the last couple of weeks together, you'll see that what happened today didn't completely undo what you did before. Besides, it is all part of a process moving toward positive changes.

This is what I keep telling myself, anyway. :) I hope it helps you!

Shannon
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it takes a whole 3500 calories over what you burn to create a pound of fat. I think you will be fine :-)
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Don't feel guilt feel optimism. Tomorrow is a new day to get back to doing things right. It won't matter too much anyway. 2000 would probably be around what you would need to maintain anyway so its not like you're going to gain any weight. Sometimes on days I didn't stick to my calorie cound I would find that the next time I weighed myself I lost more.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Some people will eat 1000-2000 calories over on one day ON PURPOSE! I myself make a point to go over one or two days a week. Many say that it is not the daily total that counts, but the overall week. Soooo, if you've been "good" 6 out of 7 days, then all is well. My favorite saying on here is "When you were fat, you didn't get skinny after one day of eating healthy, so don't think you'll get fat after one day of eating badly". Good luck! Beating yourself up is counter productive. Eat, live, enjoy...move on! You can do this!
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Remember, the calories and exercise deficit will average over the week...I think if you've been good all week, you'll be fine.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad....
    Inside us all lives a skinny person crying to get out. But we can usually shut her up with cookies..:wink:

Just keep punching!
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    dont worry! on saturday, my mom and little sister took me to lunch. my sister chose Sonic. I had NO idea how many calories where in their food!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! in my meal, there were over 2500 calories!!!!!!! i about died when i came home and logged it. i had been doing so good, eating around 1300-1600 a day depending on my exercise, but that really blew it! but oh well, nothing i can do about it now except keep working. even though i went over double my calories that day, at the end of the week i was only 64 calories over my "goal" calories for the entire week, so really not to bad.
  • Innae
    Innae Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I regularly have at least one day a week where I eat WAY over (like 1000 calories over) -- and I have still lost. Don't beat yourself up..just don't give up -- one day is just that..ONE DAY...keep up the good work and one day in a week just doesn't matter
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey you *know* it was a bad day...and you're not in denial about it...that's something. Don't feel guilty...feel resolve!

If you're really worried, pick up an extra 100cal of exercise a day for the next week, that will burn through the difference.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

this day, I repeat this day is but one day.

you are okay.

if you're hungry go ahead and eat more than 1200 calories

if you're consistently hungry reconsider the 1200 calorie restriction and go higher that way you can eat, feel comfortable and not be too high or too low

and remember drink plenty water, quality of your calories is important, give be a 110calorie banana not a 110 calorie cookie, see what I did there? lol :happy:
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    What you have done might actually help. Some people believe in caloric cycling, which helps you metabolism keep guessing. Occassionally, when I would hit a plateau, I would go over my calories by 600 or 700 for a day or two, and it would break the plateau. Dont fret my dear!
  • jerrysteck
    jerrysteck Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If this is a one day lapse I wouldn't worry. If it is a constant thing then I think you might revise your goal a bit to allow a few more calories per day. You might take a bit longer to take the pounds off but you will feel better about yourself and still reach your goal, just a bit slower. I say this with experience. I can loose a bunch of weight quickly but by the time I get close to my goal I feel starved and start binge eating. I have done what I'm suggesting you do and have been good so far. I don't feel starved and the pounds are still dropping. Good luck and hang in there. We'll get there together.

Jerry
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You workout really hard most days and are only eating 1200 cal. It does not surprise me you had this day. Sounds like it was a much needed day. You body was probably crying for more nutrients and you gave it what it needed. There is definitley no need to be guilty.

If you want this to be a healthy life style change then remember that life is not perfect and neither should you nor your diet be. Life has room for "mistakes" thought I don't like to see them as mistakes because if we learn something from it then there is no real mistake is there? And life has room for pizza and pasta and dessert you just have to know that you can have those things and still lead a healthy lifestyle. How unrealistic is it to believe we can never have more than our alotted calories? or that we can not have a piece of cake at a birthday party?! Keeping things realistic is often the thing that bridges the gap between diet and lifestyle. if your diet is healthy but still realistic it makes it easier to live with making it a lifestyle.

As a person on your friends list I see your progress everyday and you are doing great but again and I can't stress this enough you have got to give your body enough fuel to be healthy AND happy. You know I am here everyday if you need me or have any questions. If I don't know the answer we can find it. :flowerforyou:
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    thank you so very much everyone:) i really appreciate it
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You workout really hard most days and are only eating 1200 cal. It does not surprise me you had this day. Sounds like it was a much needed day. You body was probably crying for more nutrients and you gave it what it needed. There is definitley no need to be guilty.

If you want this to be a healthy life style change then remember that life is not perfect and neither should you nor your diet be. Life has room for "mistakes" thought I don't like to see them as mistakes because if we learn something from it then there is no real mistake is there? And life has room for pizza and pasta and dessert you just have to know that you can have those things and still lead a healthy lifestyle. How unrealistic is it to believe we can never have more than our alotted calories? or that we can not have a piece of cake at a birthday party?! Keeping things realistic is often the thing that bridges the gap between diet and lifestyle. if your diet is healthy but still realistic it makes it easier to live with making it a lifestyle.

As a person on your friends list I see your progress everyday and you are doing great but again and I can't stress this enough you have got to give your body enough fuel to be healthy AND happy. You know I am here everyday if you need me or have any questions. If I don't know the answer we can find it. :flowerforyou:

aww thanks :))))
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You have to go over by hundreds more calories to even gain a pound. You probably also bumped your metabolism up a few notches with your "spike" day. It's not a bad thing, and it certainly won't hurt your progress.
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    If it makes u feel better..... I just had a big ol buritto from chipotle and a beer.... I been good for7 days and tonight I'm not so good, but you and me will be okay. One day won't derail your hard work, one week will..... But not one day. Keep your head up!
  • blueandigo
    Options
    don't feel bad it hspprs to everyone.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I will always believe that one day of poor eating won't cause you to gain weight just like one day of exercise won't cause you to lose weight.

I ate over 4,000 calories the other day and lost a half lb. Of course I also burned 2700 calories which made me barely break even. My thoughts are to say okay that was not what I should have done, learn from it and move on.