Time of Day instead of Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner

Options
Does anybody else track their meals by time of day instead of the regular ol' breakfast, lunch and dinner entries? I find that I eat at odd times and often 4-5 times a day instead of the Basic Three, so I decided to break my day down into six 4-hour increments and track it that way. I figure that might yield some interesting information later on, if nothing else.

Anyway, does anybody else do that? How does it work for you?

PS joined Thursday, it's Monday night and I'm 4 lbs down. Not that I expect that trend to continue, but HELL YEAH.

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    First off, GREAT JOB!

I've been thinking about changing mine to be Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Daily Snacks, Evening Snacks.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack. Works for me since I eat all day long!
    Also, FANTASTIC job! You're doing wonderfully!
  • Lona728
    Lona728 Posts: 105
    Options
    Yes, I track mine by time of day.
    7am-10
    10am-1
    1pm-4
    4pm-7
    7pm-10
    10+

That works great for me. Also helps me see where I am getting hungry.
  • pittures
    pittures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do 7 - 12, 12 - 3, 3 - 6, 6-9 and 9-12 it works for me rather than identifying everything as a meal
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great start to MFP! I eat my breakfast at a different time each morning--depending on my workout. Have breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, AND sanity snacks :bigsmile: Basically, I'll try to eat at least 6 times throughout the day.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is that I'm basically eating all the time. And do I consider my protein shake before my workout as breakfast, and the one after as a snack? Are they both snacks? Hehe ... we can make the simplest thing complicated! :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep! I do 6 four hour increments starting at midnight. It kinda helps me to not snack after midnight (I'm a night owl) when it doesn't just get lumped into breakfast. Don't want ppl thinking I eat 24/7.
  • naastrodamus
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I do find it's best to eat when you're hungry, and not wait around for some artificial "meal time". Cuts down on overeating, no? And I know from experience that most of my calories are consumed in the evening; what I'd like to do is spread that out some, and I do believe MFP is going to help with that.
  • kdw_130
    kdw_130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I break mine into 7-11, 11-15, 15-19, 19-23, 23-03, and 03-07. I work shift work so the times I eat are always different. I really like this way because it helps to identify my key hunger times (and the extra calories I tend to eat at night)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to bump this to see if any change can be made to this feature? Sometimes I eat lunch at 11, sometimes 1:15 depending on my work schedule. Sometimes breakfast is at 7:30, sometimes 10:30, etc etc
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yep i changed mine to time of day when my daughter started school. it was just easier for me to keep everything planned and make sense when logged.
    feel free to take a peek at mine if you want.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have 6 spots for entries on my log, but I call them breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and dessert. I just log whatever I'm eating in whatever spot seems closest. Breakfast on weekdays is usually around 7:00 a.m. but it might not be till 10 on the weekends. If it's 11 or after I usually just log it as lunch and leave the top 2 blank. It all adds up the same at the end of the day.