Weightlifting for beginners

Options
Hey everyone,

I am interested in losing inches and I was inspired by the women's weight lifting thread. I was wondering if people knew of any websites or good weightlifting programs for people that are relatively new to weight lifting and want to work out all parts of the body and improving my strength.

Thanks
Also I am a 21 year old male if that helps

Replies

• gaddamo
    Options
    bump
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    bump
    Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is pretty much the bible of "getting started in strength training." I cannot recommend the book enough. If you search for his name on youtube, you can find a ton of instructional videos too. When you're getting started, you should have someone with you who can spot your form (preferably a good personal trainer if that's possible), as it is REALLY hard to do by yourself. You can also video yourself and post the video to the SS forums:
    http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php
    and get critiqued.

Fitocracy also has good form critique. If anyone wants an account, I have 10 invites left:
    http://ftcy.co/zkEFbH

Edit: I can't grammar.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This book is amazing! Not sure if it is only available in Canada. The Women's Health Big book of Exercises. Excellent weight training book with great pics that show you proper form.
  • figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Look up Jamie Easons Livefit trainer. It's a free program with video guides and nutrition plans as well.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 19 and the best thing I ever did was hire a personal trainer for a week to help you get started. With the workout I had from my personal trainer, and a lot of hard work, diet, and supplementation, I dropped from 210lbs to 160lbs in 3 months and was cut with a six pack....but that was when I was 19 and my metabolism was still rockin.