Roller Derby!

Options
So, in the interest of preventing boredom, releasing some stress, and meeting some bada$$ chicks who I can see myself getting along with fabulously, I have decided to try out roller derby. For those of you that are unfamiliar, roller derby is played on roller skates in a skating rink and is a full-contact sport. :bigsmile: It's sort of like horse race meets rugby, but with girls on skates. It looks SO FUN. I'm going to practice from 6:30-9 tonight, so I imagine I'll be pretty sore after 2 hours of skating! I haven't skated in a couple years, but I have never felt uncomfortable on skates, so I think it'll be sort of like getting back on a bike. They let you borrow equipment and go to a couple practices for free so you can decide if you like it. After that it's only 40 bucks a month! I will have to get back asap to tell you all how it goes!!:drinker:

Replies

• jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Good to see you around SBS! Have fun, and I'd love to hear what you think of Roller Derby!
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I :heart: rollerderby! I so wish that there was a team close to us here!
    Good luck
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, I got pretty lucky, this is like 10 minutes away! I met one of the girls at the summer solstice fest on Saturday...I thought, man, I get a cool nickname and I get to run into people, this will be awesome. :laugh: I LOVE contact sports. MMA, boxing, b-ball...grrrr!!! :devil:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Roller Derby as well! I also don't have a team close by either. 1 1/2 hours away is to far for me to do something and not get paid for it. :laugh:

Think of a cool name they say you can't have a name that anyone ever has had. Good luck on that!:laugh:

Let us know how it goes!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of fun Song!! Let us know how it goes :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Okay, that ROCKED. Initially I was really slow and fell on my butt repeatedly, but after about an hour I was actually cruising along and falling with good form (on a knee pad). I actually got a lot of compliments that I was doing better than most other newbies, and I really have some speed already! :happy: I am going back Wednesday, then Sunday I'm going to a bout to volunteer and see how the whole thing works. I get to use the fresh meat pads until I can buy some of my own. I REALLY want some legitimate skates, because the rentals SUCK. They are sooooo heavy, but at the same time it's great conditioning. I expect to be quite sore tomorrow. Can't wait! :bigsmile: The ladies are all super cool too and helped me out a lot. Yay!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Oh ya, and I got to lead the stretches cause I know some stuff about exercise hehe :bigsmile:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!! You go girl!! Sounds like you had a blast - are you sore yet?? :drinker:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Our local dcrg team has a huge following and all the girls on it are just great people. It's such a fun sport too- talk about conditioning!

You'll have to keep us updated on your experience! I'd love to hear what it's like.

:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Woohoo!! You go girl!! Sounds like you had a blast - are you sore yet?? :drinker:

YES.

My wrist is sore from falling. My bottom is sore from working and falling. My legs are just sore from working. And I just had a really intense upper body workout of nothing but supersets. I am ready for a nap. :yawn:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! So glad you decided to do it! Best of luck! Keep us updated==wanna know your cool nickname ;)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Tonight I have practice again!!!!! :happy: :happy: :drinker:

Wendesdays apparently are more about endurance and form, so I will be skating more tonight. I am planning on REALLY kicking butt. I bought myself a couple pairs of tights in pink and black, a little yellow skirt and some black and pink booty shorts:bigsmile: Next month I'll look into some gently used skates and pads. Woohoo!!
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I tried out for the LA Derby Dolls about 2 months ago and it kicked my butt. Unfortunately L.A. has such a big squad they are very choosy about who they let in so out of the 30 of us that tried out only two got picked to go to practice. You then have to go to the practices for a few months before you can try out for one of the four teams. I'm now taking adult skating lessons once a week to try and get ready for the next try-out :devil:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Good luck. I tried out for the LA Derby Dolls about 2 months ago and it kicked my butt. Unfortunately L.A. has such a big squad they are very choosy about who they let in so out of the 30 of us that tried out only two got picked to go to practice. You then have to go to the practices for a few months before you can try out for one of the four teams. I'm now taking adult skating lessons once a week to try and get ready for the next try-out :devil:

Wow, that sounds intense! This team is fairly small and they're actively recruiting people. Last night I had to do a TON of balance drills...so lots of side stepping and step crossovers, plus lots of sprinting laps and explosive starts and duck walks....anything to kill my inner thighs LOL. I took a couple of good spills while sprinting, but had no pads on, owie! I think it's time to invest in a butt pad soon. :ohwell:
  • MRSWESSON
    MRSWESSON Posts: 107
    Options
    my co-worker is totally in to roller derby she has scrimmage all the time and she says they practice for 1.5 hours 4x a week...thats some serious calorie burning!!! :bigsmile:

Sounds so rad hope you love it!!! :glasses:
  • StVal
    StVal Posts: 91
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm new to the website and thought that I would chime in. I play rollerderby here in San Diego and I LOOOOOVE it. It's such an awesome workout (I sweat buckets, especially in the heat of summer), I've toned up my legs and buns...more like steele. I play bouts (games) once a month (nonstop for 2 periods of 30 mins) with a monthly scrimmage thrown in and we also practice regularly 3xs a week for 1.5 hours. I also skate for fun at the rink or outside for fun usually 2xs a week anywhere from 1.5-3 hrs at a time. It really helps with strengthening and toning the lower half of the body. I highly recommend everyone who is interested to give it a try. Even if you don't play the sport, just for the exercise.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about the sport anyone might have. Thanks!

P.S. To the ladies who aren't able to join, because there isn't one close enough to you. Start your own league!!
  • MRSWESSON
    MRSWESSON Posts: 107
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm new to the website and thought that I would chime in. I play rollerderby here in San Diego and I LOOOOOVE it. It's such an awesome workout (I sweat buckets, especially in the heat of summer), I've toned up my legs and buns...more like steele. I play bouts (games) once a month (nonstop for 2 periods of 30 mins) with a monthly scrimmage thrown in and we also practice regularly 3xs a week for 1.5 hours. I also skate for fun at the rink or outside for fun usually 2xs a week anywhere from 1.5-3 hrs at a time. It really helps with strengthening and toning the lower half of the body. I highly recommend everyone who is interested to give it a try. Even if you don't play the sport, just for the exercise.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about the sport anyone might have. Thanks!

P.S. To the ladies who aren't able to join, because there isn't one close enough to you. Start your own!!

Haaaaaa there she is!!!! HI MAMA!