lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
I was just wondering what everyones thought were on honey?:bigsmile:

Do you use it not use it???
How do you use it???:huh:

Is it good for you?:glasses:

Replies

• LittleMissDoll
    Options
    I'm very interested too! I just bought a little bear jar of it, and I have no idea what to do with it..
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of it, but it's a good sugar replacement being that it is a natural substance.
  • vanilakitten
    vanilakitten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you mix a spoon of honey in warm water, add a little bit of lemon juice to that mix, and drink a glass of it first thing in the morning, it helps with weight loss and great skin!
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is a sugar...so use in moderation. 1 Tbsp is 17g carbs, 16g sugars. So a lot will jack up your macro levels. I avoid any sugars if at all possible. When I am weak, or need a little sweetness I will add a little to my hot tea or enjoy the below:

1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt + 1 Tbsp of Raw Honey = my guilty pleasure. Sooo yummy! (0g Fat, 26g Carb, 23g Protein)
  • PNOIZE
    PNOIZE Posts: 44
    Options
    i use honey as a substitute for maple syrup on my pancakes.
  • qwe3nz
    qwe3nz Posts: 29
    Options
    Honey is good for you as long as its raw or else its just like empty calories with no nutirents. Only raw honey has all the added benefits you read about
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Really!?

I thought it was a well known fact that people used it seeing as they sell it in the shops...

Sarcasm aside.

Yes I do use it.
    Great alternative to sweetener/sugar ALTHOUGH NOT CALORIE FREE...but it is low GI.
    Use it in porridge, in salad dressings, as a glaze, on vegetables, on toast, on pancakes, in hot milk (great sleep remedy) in hot water with lemon when ill but also with a touch of cayenne pepper as a meal replacement (ONLY once a day) on ice cream, whatever you fancy really. Use it as you would sugar or syrup.
    Contains lots of good bee stuff in the form of slight impurities such as propolis which has lots of healing and health benefits.
    Manuka honey, albeit expensive, has medicinal and health benefits due to the activity level of it, lots of antibacterial properties.

My Dad keeps bees. Honey is amazing stuff.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's part of the "glue" in my homemade müelsi bars I eat for breakfast
    It's a sweetener for tea (especially when having a cold.....actually goes really well with rum too when fighting a cold)
    It's sweetener in greek youghurt
    It's a sweetener in smoothies
    It's a spread on my weekend breakfast white bread
    I use it to spice up/sweeten some of my stews
    It's great in marinades for a barbeque
    ....only let your imagination limit how you use it
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I admit, I love honey. Almost as much as Vermont maple syrup. When I cook/bake, I use both as substitutes for sugar. But I only buy honey at the local Farmers Market, not in a supermarket.

And with anything else, moderation. But my go-to hot drink when I've had enough tea is hot water with lemon and honey. Also helps me when I don't feel well. Something I got into when I was in China.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I treat it like sugar in a different form. I don't expect it to have any magical properties and I highly doubt that it's "great for weight loss")but if you like the taste of it (it's delicious on toast or crumpets or porridge) and have the calories to spare, go for it!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    It is a sugar...so use in moderation. 1 Tbsp is 17g carbs, 16g sugars. So a lot will jack up your macro levels. I avoid any sugars if at all possible. When I am weak, or need a little sweetness I will add a little to my hot tea or enjoy the below:

1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt + 1 Tbsp of Raw Honey = my guilty pleasure. Sooo yummy! (0g Fat, 26g Carb, 23g Protein)

that sounds good...all the ideas sound good ...thanks:bigsmile:
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I use it as a sugar substitute, and also in marinades. One of the great things about local honey is that it is pollenated by local bees and is great to help build up your immunity for allergy season.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My thought on it is that I love it. I try to stay away from refined sugars so I eat raw honey and it's so tasty. Yes it is full of sugar and calories so can't go too crazy with it.
    I love to eat it with apple slices, in oatmeal & mixed with berries in greek yogurt.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    yes dear?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of sugar sometimes. I regularly use it in tea and smoothies.

It's fine for you, a rather natural and unprocessed sweetener.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Honey is one of those miracle foods that I will never give up. I eat some form of honey everyday. I put it in my tea at night mostly. But sometimes I put it into a cake or cookies I am backing. Onto my morning english muffin or whatever.

Locally produced honey (That honey you can get from local bee farmers) can help as an antihistamine for allergies. Honey is good for the skin and keeps the digestive track in line.

Honey should not be given to children under 3 or 4 though.