Dropped a jean size, but gained 2 lbs...??

Options
I have been on my diet and excercise plan for about 6 weeks. I am staying within my calorie limit 6 days a week, (taking a cheat day every Sunday) and working out 6 days a week on the treadmill, plus some other excercises mixed in. I have lost an inch off both my waist and hips, but when I weighed, I have gained 2 lbs. Can someone tell me why this is? I can tell a difference in the mirror and others are noticing I look thinner too. I have also gone from size 14 jeans to size 12. Confused and disappointed...

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most likely just temporary fluid retention that will go away in time, particularly if you just had a cheat day that may have included high sodium foods.

That's why I go by photos and how clothes fit rather than the scale.
  • GlynisH
    GlynisH Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You could have possibly gained some muscle.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I just don't understand this mindset!!! I could care less what the scale says, a whole jean size????? and your dissappointed :huh: I will never understand why people put so much bank in that darn scale!! I have lost 18 pounds and am dissappointed that I still haven't dropped a jean size!! Muscle is more compact than fat, so your fitting into a smaller size which is a good thing :flowerforyou: congrats :wink: keep up the good work and realize this is a victory
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago, I threw away my scale because I had become a slave to it. But since I have been working so hard, I went out to Walmart last night and bought one, and I kind of wish I hadn't.
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been on my diet and excercise plan for about 6 weeks. I am staying within my calorie limit 6 days a week, (taking a cheat day every Sunday) and working out 6 days a week on the treadmill, plus some other excercises mixed in. I have lost an inch off both my waist and hips, but when I weighed, I have gained 2 lbs. Can someone tell me why this is? I can tell a difference in the mirror and others are noticing I look thinner too. I have also gone from size 14 jeans to size 12. Confused and disappointed...

I felt the same way last night and I have been on this site for the past 5weeks. My husband and a lot of people on this site say, when we start eating right and exercising, we build muscle first and then the fat starts burning. As long as you can see the difference in the way your clothes fit, you are doing great!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago, I threw away my scale because I had become a slave to it. But since I have been working so hard, I went out to Walmart last night and bought one, and I kind of wish I hadn't.

ok so what you are saying it sthat you have used different scale (as you bought it yesterday...)
    that might be the reason.

whole size donw WTG!
    i have to sizes to go (don't care about lbs)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    unless you write the scale number on your forhead, nobody know how much you weight.....what they see is your behind getting smaller. Forget the scale and use a mesuring tape.
  • alharbour
    Options
    Yes, this is a different scale. I weighed January 16th on my sister's scale. It is possible that scale was weighing too light and I really have lost a few pounds, I just don't know it. I will start only weighing on my new scale and see what happens.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No two scales are ever the same. Even the same scale in a different room can give you a different number.

Forget the old number and start fresh with the new one.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it, you used two different scales. Bottom line is your down a pant size and you lost inches. Use the new scale from now on and be happy with your results so far. Do NOT be disappointed.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hey great job!!

My guess is your gaining muscle it weigh more then fat.

what takes up more space a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks!
    what is more pleasing in the mirrow 2 lb lose or 1 jean size smaller :)
  • alharbour
    Options
    OK...I just put up 2 pictures side by side of my face and WOW!!! I am not gonna complain anymore! How do I post my pics on here?
  • alharbour
    Options
    Oct. 29, 2011
    [img]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/alharbour/Me 2012/71-1.jpg[/img]

Feb. 8, 2012
    [img]http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/alharbour/Me 2012/me.jpg[/img]