Couch to 5k Question.

Options
I haven't put my running shoes on for about 8 years, since becoming pregnant with twins, but I used to regulary run between 3-7 miles a few times a week, at about 10 min per mile.

I am ready to start again, and am hoping my body remembers what to do, but I am much heavier than I was back then.

Today I started the couch to 5k program,

There are 4kph and 8kph buttons on the treadmill, so I set it to 4 for my walk, then just pushed the 8 when it was time to run.

Despite being a couch potato I found it quite easy. I'm not sure whether to do the other 2 sessions of this week, or just jump to week 2?

The other option could be to do the other 2 sessions but do the run faster, but I know the first week is only meant to be a jog.

What do you people who have finished the C25K recommend?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I generally start on week 3 or 4 (I've done it three times, but been sidelined by injuries each time, doh!) and set the time on the treadmill for 45 minutes and just do the run/walk over and over until my time runs out. Since you were a runner previously, you could probably move up to a more advanced week. Just don't hurt yourself!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I would probably just stick with it and no skip ahead because even if it feels easier, some conditioning is probably happening. Usually conditioning doesn't stick with you for 8 years unless you were a high-level athlete.
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any requirement that you jog. Definitely you can take the runs faster. It actually becomes a High Intensity Interval workout if you do. I completed C25k 18 months ago and I still do w1 for interval training once a week. I've seen it said many times not to skip a week, as its not just your lungs but your bones, joints and muscles conditioning for running too. Full disclosure, I skipped a week. It was week 5 or 6. I came to this training not as a complete couch potato but not as a runner, I just extended the run. I also didn't have a treadmill or anything telling me my pace etc, I really had to listen to my body. In any case you know your fitness level and can probably assess what is best for you. Stick with it, you'll be back to 3-7 mile runs in no time.