What should my calorie intake be?

Options
Hello Everyone!

Lately, I find that I am having a hard time sticking to my diet. I set MFP to the 2 pounds a week weight loss and it set my calories at 1290. What usually happens is at night time I feel like I am super hungry. Sometimes, so hungry I can't even sleep! Then I end up eating so much that I break my diet every day. I was thinking that if I raised my calorie levels it might be easier but, I want to make sure that I still lose weight. What do you recommend? SW - 241 / CW - 229

Replies

• ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I would change your settings to 1 lb a week instead of 2 and see how you do. This will give you more calories to work with and you can see how you do after a couple of weeks. Plus, the more you exercise, then you'll get to eat back some of those.

Hope this helps!
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    and if you exercise you can eat more calories.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    I don't recommend trying to lost 2 pounds a week. Realize that this is a process, not an instant change. You should be ok with losing less weight over time because you are trying to make a lifestyle change. That's my opinion at least. You should ALWAYS eat when you are hungry.
    MFP is a guide line. A helping hand to let you get an idea of what you are putting in your body. Lessen your weight loss goal and eat more. Just eat healthy and in moderation.
    Find good food to make you feel full.

Good luck and stay positive!! That's the most important thing :)
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    unless you have over 75lbs to lose... 2lb a week is not ideal... and if you are genuinly hungry at night then its probably your bodies way of tellin you that you're not eating enough... it really is trial and error... you could try drink water just incase you're mistaking hunger for dehydration but like i say... play around for a few weeks...adding and taking away cals to see what works best... its not a race..its a lifestyle change ... good luck :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what others have said, set it to 1lb a week and also workout a bit and you'll have loads more calories to play with.

I can't see your diary but you may also be eating the wrong foods. Foods high in carbohydrate and sugar will stimulate cravings.

Foods high in protein, fiber, and to a lesser extent, fat will give you satiety. Try eggs, lean meat, whole grain foods, fibrous veggies etc. You might find you feel full longer.

There's also some studies that suggest having protein with breakfast is most effective at staving off hunger for the rest of the day.

Hope that helps!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would change your settings to 1 lb a week instead of 2 and see how you do. This will give you more calories to work with and you can see how you do after a couple of weeks. Plus, the more you exercise, then you'll get to eat back some of those.

Hope this helps!

My thoughts exactly! Doing this, you may even find that you lose *more* than a pound a week. Give it a try!!