Reading With Your Kids

Options
LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
Does anyone else enjoy this as much as I do? I love reading with my kids...I love making them laugh by using funny voices for the characters. But I really love listening to them...especially my son (age 7) who's hearing impaired. Tonight, he was sounding out just about all of the words he didn't know. And his big sister (age 10) was reading Spiderman stories to him to help him along. I just have a great time when we read together and was wondering who else does. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't read romance novels with them.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I loved reading to my kids...I have adult children now and a 13yo still at home so don't get to read to my babies anymore.:cry:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    This is one of my most favorite things to do with my kids. I promised myself a long time ago that I would make every effort to stop what I am doing and read to them when they ask me to read to them. Not only do we get to spend the time together, but it forces me to stop, and take life a little slower.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

It's funny you say that...My 10 year old is begging me to let her read the Twilight books :huh:
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

It's funny you say that...My 10 year old is begging me to let her read the Twilight books :huh:
    I'll call CPS if you do it.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options

LOL...relax...I put the kibosh on that PDQ.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love it. My 3 yr old daughter and I lie in her bed before she goes to sleep and I'll read her 2 or 3 stories. It gets hard when she wants to read the same books for 8 months straight but you change it up and make up new things to keep the smile on her face. I know she will grow out of this so I am making the most of it while I can.

Current Favourites; Winky Wonky Donkey, My Daddy, The Mummy Book.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    I love it. My 3 yr old daughter and I lie in her bed before she goes to sleep and I'll read her 2 or 3 stories. It gets hard when she wants to read the same books for 8 months straight but you change it up and make up new things to keep the smile on her face. I know she will grow out of this so I am making the most of it while I can.

Current Favourites; Winky Wonky Donkey, My Daddy, The Mummy Book.

LOL...I know what you mean about the repetition...my son loves "Oh Say Can You Say Dinosaur". I've read it so many times I have it memorized! But you're right...it's still fun :bigsmile:
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer with two books out for sale and two to be released this year so...reading holds a very special place in my heart. I read to both of my girls when I was pregnant with them. And, I didn't stop there. We have reading time, even for my youngest who is just 3 weeks, every day. I get such great pleasure in reading to them and I hope they care for reading and writing as much as I do one day.
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That was my favorite thing to do as a teacher - story time :) My K & 1st graders loved it!

I do like having stories read to me as well....yes it's the kid in me :)
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    I used to read to my kids all the time when they were younger, but sadly, that's one of the things we just don't have time for anymore. So instead, my two youngest read to me while I cook dinner, my 8 year old first and then my 10 year old reads a little slower so she reads the rest of the time I'm cooking. But during that, I'm usually also helping one of the other kids with homework so it's just not the same. :(
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids, but I have a little brother who is 11 years younger than me.

He's 8 and he loves when we read together. Not just me to him, but he likes reading to me too (even if I have to help him on some words sometimes).
    It's a really great practice for getting up there on his AR points :p

His favorites are:
    ANY Grimm Fairytales, Buy my Hats, Stellaluna

Typically, since he's a second grader, he brings home a new book every few days. It's sort of become a tradition for us to crack open the brand new book right after he finishes his homework as a "reward".
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    We just started the Harry Potter books with my 7 year old. He got the set for Christmas and it's been great. It's also great to listen to him read now that he can. Quality time.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

LOL...relax...I put the kibosh on that PDQ.

I was going to call CPS too...I decided to read one first and kiboshed it within a chapter. Read the whole book looking for redeeming value, didn't find any. We're big on Harry Potter, the Percy Jackson series is good (not HP good) too.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    No kids, but I used to work in the childrens department of a bookshop and used to do story time with up to 25 small people! We're Going on a Bear Hunt (with actions of course) was always fun :smile: I think I can remember most of it......
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love it. I've been reading to my kids since I was pregnant with my first. We read at least one book before bed every single night. The baby laughs when we all read together. And my big boy is now starting to read with me. I absolutely love that time with my kiddos.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I dont have kids but i have a neice and i love reading her books to her, she loves pop up farm yard books so i do the noises and it cracks her up which then makes me laugh and i always get a little tear in my eye!
  • Brandie1029
    Brandie1029 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It one of my most favorite things to do! That's why I am a Children's Librarian. :drinker:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Definately! We read every night before bed. We read everything from Clifford to Charlotte's Web. Most times it depends on how much time we have but right now we are reading Amber Brown (the chicken pox one). It's MY time with him and I would trade it for NOTHING :flowerforyou:
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I miss those days... The kids would each select a book and we'd snuggle in bed together - that was the best part of the day. Now, my 16 year old recommends young adult books that I might like. Thanks to him, I discovered The Hunger Games trilogy and the Ender's Game series.