Eating at Disney World

Options
So in a week the kids finally get their Christmas present and we take them to Disney! But now I'm worried about food. I've lost 16lbs so far and I don't want to go backward. We have a room with a full kitchen so we plan on doing breakfast there and preparing lots of snacks. And trying to do one meal a day there but we'll see how that goes. And my plan is just to increase my active level while we are there but not to log all the walking inside the park.

So on to the point ;-) Question for those that have been there more recently(my last trip was almost 20 yrs ago). Is there healthy fast options inside the park? Or anything you found works really well?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mellimeter
    mellimeter Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am a Cast Member at the Walt Disney World Resort, and it is so hard to eat healthy in a world where everyone is "carefree" for a vacation. Planning ahead is key, and it sounds like you've got healthy breakfasts covered! There is an unofficial Disney site that is updated pretty regularly with very accurate information that I use to determine my meals at the parks/resorts ahead of time, and that is www.allearsnet.com While the nutritional information is not posted, a number of recipes are, and I use the recipe calculator on MFP to get a rough estimate.

As far as healthy snacks are concerned, a number of the quick service and outdoor foods locations now offer healthy alternatives (again, the website above has the menus for every place in the park, so please check there for more details). Most of the quick service restaurants allow you to choose apples instead of fries, and you can find grilled chicken sandwiches on multigrain bread and salads pretty easily, but some spots that have more of a healthy emphasis in the parks include:

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbour House - a Quick Service location in Liberty Square. CHH has steamed broccoli as a side, and items like grilled salmon.
    Epcot: Sunshine Seasons in the Land Pavilion. Great salads, healthy sandwiches, lots of healthy snacks in the grab and go (carrots, etc.)
    Disney's Hollywood Studios: Sunset Market Ranch on Sunset Boulevard has a "produce market" where they serve salads, fruits, and veggies.
    Disney's Animal Kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ - you can't go wrong with BBQ chicken!

If you're looking to eat at a sit down restaurant, I highly recommend using disneyworld.com/dining to make dinner reservations ahead of time, or call 407-WDW-DINE. Reservations can be made 180 days in advance, so a lot of the reservations fill up quickly. A lot of these restaurants have incorporated a number of healthy items into their menus, for example: Tony's Town Square at the Magic Kingdom has a whole wheat pasta option, and the Wave at the Contemporary Resorts specializes in Organic options.

Also, check out the Disney Parks recent blog entry about eating healthy at Disney:
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/sticking-to-healthful-eating-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Hope this information helps :)
    -Melissa
  • BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think I gained 5lbs when I went there a year ago, and that was because I had the deluxe dining plan and felt like I needed to eat everything (each of us were entitled to our own appetizer, dinner, desert and wine) in addition to all of the snacks! Just remember you'll also be walking around the park so you'll be burning calories which will allow you to eat a little more than usual.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney in August and maintained my weight when I got back! Yes, there are some healthy options you just have to do some research and look around at all the restaurants and food service counters! For example. we went to one place in tomorrowland I think and I got the grilled chicken sandwich.. pretty good and you add your own toppings. Also everytime we got food there was the option to get apple slices instead of fries. You are doing so much moving and walking that honestly u will just maintain. we ate breakfast at my friends house both mornings and did lunch and dinner at the park.. I just watched my portions and drank water.

Also - if you're in the mood for a treat do it.. just share w someone! and the chocolate covered bananas are amazing and so worth it :) have fun! I'm jealous.. I'm going to Disney for my honeymoon!
  • mellimeter
    Options
    I just watched my portions and drank water.

Yes, do not forget to drink water! Diet sodas may have zero calories, but they do not hydrate you in the Florida sun! There are countless paramedic runs to the parks every day for dehydration. One of the first questions they ask is "how much water have you had? I'm not asking about soda, or juice, but water!" Even on days where it isn't overly hot, you're doing so much walking - water is absolutely necessary!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and the link!! We are bringing waterbottles with and just plan on refilling them. Water isn't a concern, we live at high altitude so we have to drink a lot normally so it won't be extra to us. I pulled the map and looked for the Columbia Harbour House so we'll make sure we hit there! And I love that they do apples! I know fast food places are giving that option, I'm glad to hear Disney is doing that too!!
  • RunningDisneyMommy
    Options
    My family and I spend every Sunday afternoon at Disney and to make sure we snack healthy while we are there. We bring a backpack with fresh fruit. It cuts out the trips to the ice creams shops and little carts. We also freeze bottled water so it stays cold most of the day, which you'll need since today is 78 outside. Have fun at the "House of Mouse"!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So great to get info from a cast member!

Every time we've gone to WDW, I've always ended up weighing the same when I got home as I did before we left. Must be the miles and miles of walking we do every day. But it's great to know where to find healthy options, will save this info for the next time we go!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    i dont know about disneyworld but disneyland allows you to bring food in which allows you to save calories and $$ (you can call disneyworld and see i cant imagine them being different) i always lose weight at disney! have fun im so jealous!
  • mellimeter
    Options
    Walt Disney World allows you to bring in food as well, you're just not allowed to bring it in a large cooler. If you bring in a cooler, it has to be carried, not pulled on wheels.