Home Workout DVDs without jumping

Options
2»

Replies

• muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Any of the Richard Simmons workouts. They get you moving and have a lot of fun without killing my knees. I have bad knees and can't really do much if any jumping until I get some weight off, so I totally understand not wanting jumping in your workout.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If your DVD have Jumping Jacks and jumping rope you can still do it and get an effective burn without doing jumping jacks o jumping rope. You can just tap your feet out to the sides for jumping jacks and walk in place for the jumping jacks. I love the Leslie Sansone DVDs, with all teh kicks and knee lift you get a good workout. If you ave bad knees and that is what bothers you about the jumping jacks then Zumba might not work since it is very active and there are lots of twist. If they are not executed properly it will mess with your knees. I think that you just have to learn to modify the moves that bother you most regardless DVD you are doing. Good luck.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim 5 really big miles is awesome! There is no jumping but there is definitely a lot of moving and you can pick any amount of miles you want. LOVE IT!

@busrider71: I love Leslie Sansone too!! Can I ask you how to you log it here when you do one of her dvds?

I asked that question when I first started and the general consensus was low impact aerobics. I chose that way because I know my movements were modified. If you had a HRM you could just log walking based on the calories your hrm says, or could do low impact aerobics!! :)
  • lgubbels
    lgubbels Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 100% pro Turbo Jam! They have 1 or 2 girls modifying every high-impact move so you don't have to jump. I haven't done any jumping at all and still getting the results I want!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    how does jumping 'kill you'? Does it hurt your joints? I wouldn't avoid it entirely if it's not an issue of pain. Why not modify the jumps yourself, to marching or side jacks? And then gradually do a few jumps each time until you can handle the whole set?
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Some of the Firm DVD's are really good. They work too, if you use them.
  • twilightsm
    Options
    Richard Simmon's Sweating to the Oldies...
    Low-impact aerobics with no jumping, and they are super fun to do! :)
    Plus, he has people of all shapes and sizes doing the excersizes... so you know anyone can do them.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My Chalean Extreme DVDs show alternatives to use to keep the exercises low impact (no jumping). I now use the same alternatives when I do other DVDs, such as Tae Bo, to keep the routines low impact. I still get a good workout. For jump roping, just flex up and down at the knees and work your arms. For jumping jacks, alternate feet and step to the side into a bit of a sumo squat while working your arms.
  • twilightsm
    Options
    Any of the Richard Simmons workouts. They get you moving and have a lot of fun without killing my knees. I have bad knees and can't really do much if any jumping until I get some weight off, so I totally understand not wanting jumping in your workout.

Woohoo!! I thought I was the only person still rockin' out to Sweating to the Oldies :)
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You could try P90X and just skip the jumping parts. There really aren't that many exercises in P90X where you jump, and some of the ones that do jumping, you can modify so you aren't jumping. Sometimes jumping gives me headaches, so I just modify the move and don't jump at all. And the ones where you have to jump to do the move, I just walk around my living room and recover my heart rate lol.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that gets headaches from jumping. I don't mind jumping jacks but the Plyo move where you have to jump and put your knees to your chest makes my brain feel like its rattleing.

I would agree with P90X. Most of the dvs does jumping jacks in the beginning as a warm up but you can substitute something else.
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options
    I get headaches when jumping. And maybe this is TMI... but I am amply blessed in the chest area and jumping hurts my chest and back as well.

I will definitely try the Leslie Walk dvds and some of the others that you guys are suggesting.

Thanks for all the responses. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The only ones I have done is Jillian Michaels. 30 Day Shred, 6 Week 6 Pack, and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. I like her kick boxing moves the best. In BFBM, there are 7 circuits focusing on different areas and you can choose which circuits to do instead of doing all 7 straight through if you don't want to. I pick the circuits with the most kick boxing in them. If you have to, as someone else suggests, just modify the jumping jacks or jump rope sections. As long as you keep moving to keep the heart rate up, you should still get great results without doing it exactly like she is.
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Woohoo!! I thought I was the only person still rockin' out to Sweating to the Oldies :)

I LOVE Doing Richard Simmons. So much fun and he is just so...Nice! I have Disco Sweat and Party off the Pounds (80s music) I do them when my husband is out because the tiny shorts freak him out. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    how does jumping 'kill you'? Does it hurt your joints? I wouldn't avoid it entirely if it's not an issue of pain. Why not modify the jumps yourself, to marching or side jacks? And then gradually do a few jumps each time until you can handle the whole set?

There are lots of reasons people can't do high impact.... not all of them involve pain. If you live in an upstairs apartment, or have kids sleeping in the next room for example.

Another way to make high impact moves low impact .... mini trampoline. Personally I love Leslie Sansone DVDs, basic, but easy to modify (up or down). Use light hand weights, a mini trampoline, your own music. Here's a sample ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone videos are very easy to follow and low impact. I love her videos. She has a lot of them and you can even modify or even increase intensity if you want.
  • gildinha
    gildinha Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim 5 really big miles is awesome! There is no jumping but there is definitely a lot of moving and you can pick any amount of miles you want. LOVE IT!

@busrider71: I love Leslie Sansone too!! Can I ask you how to you log it here when you do one of her dvds?

I asked that question when I first started and the general consensus was low impact aerobics. I chose that way because I know my movements were modified. If you had a HRM you could just log walking based on the calories your hrm says, or could do low impact aerobics!! :)

Thank you :)