Knee problems

Options
Good Morning and Happy Valentine’s Day! When I was 15 (I am now 21) I had arthroscopic surgery to remove some torn meniscus, that was injured playing softball/basketball for 8 years. After my surgery I played the following year and realized I wasn’t ready to go back. I think this brought on some of my “Lazy” tendencies. Anyway, when I was 17, I was hit by a car (while walking across the street) in my other knee, there was no tears but my knee went out of place and the Doctors had a very hard time getting it back in properly. Long story short, It hurts. Both knees kill when I work out. It makes me feel like a failure. Nothing I have tried helps any more.

Does anyone have any tips to help with knee pain?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have some knee pain (I'm sure no where near what you are dealing with! yikes!) and people have suggested that I use a patella band. You can get them at a drugstore or Wal Mart.
    The elliptical is good exercise without putting too much stress on your knees. To ease the pain after a workout, use ice (not heat). And you might try using Bio Freeze before you start - I use that on my shoulder sometimes with great results. Good luck!
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    I second the tip to use ice! I've had a couple of knee surgeries and still get some pain. Really cold ice right on the knee for about 20 minutes helps a lot.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this would help you or not- but I have "irritability issues" as the doc called it, with my knees. My running coach suggested strength training my legs, specifically suggested leg extensions, 3 times a week. The doctor suggested seeing a sports physiotherapist. I think I'll try strength training first (physio costs more than the gym for me lol)
  • binkxo3
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I thought That they needed strengthening too, but I can leg press about 210 on them no problem. I Can also do about 180 on the leg curls. I usually start out on the Stationary bikes, and after about 4 miles the pain starts to go away.. but as soon as I switch machines, it comes right back… I really need to use the stair climber LOL I sware that machine is a god send but I literally push myself for burn in 25 calorie at a time on that I think that comes out to be about 1.5 minutes? I will definitely try the biofreeze! And Ice when I get in thank you guys!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into giving your knees a little more support when working out until you gain more strength. I have patella femoral syndrome, basically mal-formed knees, and sometime I need to use a brace when working out. Yoga has actually really helped my knee pain.
  • daisydieter
    Options
    I have knee pain but mine is due to osteoarthritis.... I've also had bouts of bursitis over the course of about years.

It all stopped once I started taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin (Two 900mg caplets a day). It took about two weeks... and I've been pain free (still take it faithfully) ever since. My doctor had told me at the time, there is no scientific proof that it would work but it "couldn't hurt." I can't believe the last 4 pain free years (after 8 years of pain off and on) are all in my head.

Google it. Ask your doctor. Maybe others here have experience with it?
  • daisydieter
    Options
    I have some knee pain (I'm sure no where near what you are dealing with! yikes!) and people have suggested that I use a patella band. You can get them at a drugstore or Wal Mart.
    The elliptical is good exercise without putting too much stress on your knees. To ease the pain after a workout, use ice (not heat). And you might try using Bio Freeze before you start - I use that on my shoulder sometimes with great results. Good luck!

I also use the elliptical of my cross training days (jog the every other day) for this very reason.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    you should friend my wife, she has had knee problems but still works out 5+ days a week.. its kinda knowing it will hurt, but not go to far to injure it again.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I know that your knee problems are more severe than people who just have knee tendonitis and such, but I've been doing some asking around and if you can use your muscle to stabilize your body and moreso than your joints when youre working out, it could help. This sounds counter to what you might think you need, but doing increased strength exercises for your legs might be a solution. Now, I certainly wouldn't advocate going home and doing 400 squats with 30 lb. weights or something, but if you can work on squats with extremely good form and possibly some calf raises, you can sort of bypass the reliance on your knee joints in favor of using your leg muscles. I did this in a very mild fashion when I had some tendon issues in my right knee. My squat form was off and it was making my knee so much worse. Good form was key for me as was adding light weights to my exercises and wearing properly fitted shoes not just while working out but all day long. :)

I think I rambled stuff.... take it with a grain of salt
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    Wow...I can relate!
    I, too, was hit by a car when I was 18 (many years ago..lol) and broke both knees and my left ankle. As I get older (and heavier) the pain is getting worse. Of course, I need to lose weight..but it is hard when there is not much cardio I can do without extreme pain.

I just started going (beginning of this month) to a wellness center (recommended by ortho doctor) to learn exercises (isometric) to help strenghten my muscles around my knees and ankles. Great improvement already! I also use a Nu Step there and an arm bike (for some cardio). I LOVE the Nu Step and wish I could afford to get one at home. I found an upper body cardio workout on youtube that really works my upper body and feels like I'm getting some good cardio.

I try to stay within my calories and I have lost some weight...even without much cardio right now.

Good Luck to you! :smile:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I've an incident of bursitis in my knee that popped up over the weekend. I bought a nifty brace that keeps your knee stable, with metal, bendable stablizer bars on either side as well as velcro straps to hold the brace part snug around your knee. It isn't uncomfortable at all, and I've worn it basically 24/7 since my knee started acting up last Friday (from sitting in an odd position for nearly 5 hours, engrossed in a project). It's purpose is to allow you to exercise while preventing further injury. I can run, jump, step up/down...everything except twist the knee to one side (which was my issue). The bar keeps the jump/step impact on my knee from being severe. The pain is nearly gone, although still swollen and tender. I plan to continue to wear it the rest of this week, then go back to exercising (zumba and kickboxing).

Maybe something like that (plus the ice) would help?

http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:595/sku:4280/mcdavid-pro-stabilizer/black/&SID=7111&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Engine-_-Google-_-Plusbox&siorigin=pla
  • aimeeang
    aimeeang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi !

I have knee problems too. I used to play basketball and do free running a lot but i'm not doing it as much (sad about it). I use the bicycle to commute to work, which is very efficient although there is some strain on knees. i don't do as much jogging anymore. i'm also doing exercise videos (yes, i've succumbed to doing the jillian michaels 6 pack abs) for toning. doing some tabata training (pushups) and leg raises.

might jog today though since i kinda miss it. will wear a knee brace too...