Adjusting Calories as you loose weight??

Options
One question I have had for awhile now is whether or not I need to adjust my weight in the settings area as I lose weight.

Is this something that myfitnesspal adjusts automatically? I have not see my total calories decrease as I have lost weight and am just wondering if that is something I need to adjust myself?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The site will prompt you to adjust your calories/settings after 10#, if you haven't already adjusted them in that time.
  • smithskiman06
    smithskiman06 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. So 10 what? After 10 lbs lost? 10 days?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Pounds. # is the "pound sign." :smile:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    You can adjust it also. I tend to do that at least every other week. (I weigh every week.) This last week it only dropped 20 calories, but figure might as well be accurate.
  • DawnBeckom
    Options
    I have a question...If I am given a 1600 calorie intake and I burn 270 calories, am I supposed to eat those calories back? I am so confused with calories taken in and calories burned and what I SHOULD be eating.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes. The program sets you up with a deficit already, so you can eat back and still be at a deficits

That said, burn estimates aren't always exact. So I usually leave several hundred left when I can from workouts. The few left won't hurt me at 1700 a day, and I may lose a few extra tenths here and there.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    One question I have had for awhile now is whether or not I need to adjust my weight in the settings area as I lose weight.

Is this something that myfitnesspal adjusts automatically? I have not see my total calories decrease as I have lost weight and am just wondering if that is something I need to adjust myself?

Any help is appreciated!

Yes.. As you lose weight, your body burns less calories. Also, on a secondary note, as you lose fat mass your body cannot metabolize fat as fast. Meaning as you lean out, you should not have that high of a calorie deficit.

I personally started out with a huge deficit when I was obese and slowly over time increased my calories because I was losing faster than I should have at my level of leanness.
  • lormel61
    lormel61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm new to mfp...what should my daily net be to ensure I'm losing weight but not in starvation mode...I find that part very confusing...Thanks for your help :)
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    Pounds. # is the "pound sign." :smile:

I'm English, we call # a Hash. If we were write pound in weight we would type "lb" and for pound as in pound sterling we type "£".

It's strange how countries differ in little things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Your net should be the same, or as close as possible, as your goal.