clothes

Options
What do you do with your clothes once they get too big? I've heard from many to get rid of them. But the practical side of me doesn't want to "just in case". Especially considering we are hoping to have one more child eventually, what if I "need" them? Currently I have a pretty good chunk of clothes ranging in sizes from 7- 12. I'm in the 12's now but almost ready to move down a size. What did you do?

Replies

• TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually sell them! BUT with that being said after a medication making me gain 50+lbs I have been taking everything I am no longer to fit into anymore and storing it away in boxes in my basement!!! I hate keeping them as a backup, but with 3 kids, and my medical bills I wont be able to afford more if I NEED THEM later lol! So away they go to the dark spot in my basement to hopefully ROT haha
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I gave everything away to some friends and what ever was left I gave to goodwill. :smile:
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    For the record though I'm not planning on having anymore kids. So the body I have now is here to stay :wink:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i kept one pair of jeans for comparison. Goodwill, friends and selling in a facebook group for the rest! Buying new smaller jeans from that same group and from ebay, then reselling as i get littler.
  • shazzalass
    Options
    i read that you must get rid of your bigger clothes to truly throw away the old bigger you!!
  • ruggedBear
    Options
    If you have professional clothes, you can probably find a program in your area that provides services to homeless women. They can really use career wear for job interviews and ultimately for their new jobs! I just donated 20+ suits!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In your shoes I'd keep them if I had room to store them out of sight and out of my way.

I'm beyond that stage of life and know I won't need any of my too large clothes unless I let myself get fat again, so I've donated of most of them to Goodwill.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The bottom half clothes, skirts and trousers have mostly gone in the bin as they were falling apart, if they were okay they went to the charity shop. The top halves i am still wearing because i really cant afford to replace stuff until i reach my goal. When it gets warm enough for t-shirts i will go and buy a few in the new size as last years are all at least 3 sizes too big. I think it will be a bit of a shock to people, so few have commented on my weight loss and it is probably because i am hiding in baggy tops :smile:
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've limited myself to anything that can be classified as maternity wear (which in my case does include some of my 'plumper' clothes options). Although, by me keeping it and hoping to get pregnant in 2013 or 2014 - I am working towards dumping them all in return for cuter and newer options - as I hope to hit my goal weight before then!

My nicer clothes (ie. work clothes) I took to a local consignment shop. Anything they didn't take went to a 'Dress For Work' charity for women who need assistance with work clothes, or goodwill.

Good luck to you!
  • DonnaAltott
    Options
    Donate them. Someone can use them.
    and you dont want to have to use them again
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure this one out as well. The clothes that are REALLY big, I have started putting in a garage sale box. But I haven't been able to bring myself to clean out the closet. Fear, I guess. I did buy some new clothes (I am in an 8 or 10 now) . But I am still wearing some of my size 12 jeans with belts. Guess as I rebuild my closet I will continue to add to my box.
    And keep my fingers crossed!!
    Good luck. It is a total leap of faith!!
  • ericaarehart
    Options
    I would keep them if you are having more kids. You never know what might happen out of your control like bedrest or c-section that will keep you from being really active during your pregnancy. When you are done having kiddos though, get rid of them. I am getting rid of mine as they are getting too big for me because I do not want to ever get back to this place....
    Great job getting into a smaller size!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and bought all new clothes, giving the old ones to good will. Then I started to gain weight again, and I said to myself I'll be damned if I'm going to buy all new bigger clothes. So what did I do, I started to eat right once again, joined MFP, and started to lose weight. So even though I still have a ways to go, I once more fit into my semi-new, hardly worn clothes.