Help with new Wii please?

Options
Hi

My original Wii and balance board died on me last week, had them since balance board first came out with the first wii fit.

So I got myself a nice shiny new black one and matching board, it arrived today, set it up but I used the Wii Fit disc that I had all my data on and put it in and it started me up as a guest? .. and told me how to make Mii's.

I had one as me and have gone from 12st 7 to 10st on the other Wii but it doesn't work anymore.

If my info wasn't on the disc how was it saving my progress? .. I did have a little SD card for saving pics on the uDraw thingy and transferring to computer but it can't be on there as I had the Wii Fit for years before I got uDraw and it had been saving my info.

Does this mean I'm going to have to start ALL my fitness games.. all over again? :sad:

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My Wii caused me so many problems when we first got it, we nearly just threw it out! So sorry to hear you're having problems.

The Wii saves your data on a drive inside the machine, or on a memory card if you set it up that way. I'm not 100% certain. Perhaps you have a computer repair store that could help you out?

Otherwise, think of starting over this way, you have all new times/scores to beat!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I can't remember what my old scores were without seeing them in front of me.. lol.. got memory like a sieve for stuff like that!

Mine has been fine never had any problems with it until recently. Started before xmas the Exerbeat game wouldn't recognise the balance board but at that time every other game did... the new Pilates game at xmas weighed me alot heavier than Wii Fit, then wii fit said I wasn't stood on it when I was and then said I exceeded the weight limit when I wasn't stood on it!!..After then repeatedly getting messages to unplug the Wii before the game had even loaded, I decided it was time to get a new one as I've had that since 2006!

Its the just the inconvenience of having to unlock all the games again when I had a routine which was made up of the advanced games and levels and my weight loss chart won't be as dramatic as I only have 7lbs to go but started at 12st 7! :embarassed:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I know, it's so annoying! I'm not a techy by any means. But I suspect starting over is what's going to happen. Technology generally hates me, so I'm kinda used to having to start things over.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I guess I could try the new board with the old console but it was taking me 15 mins to get started as I was having to unplug it 2 out of 3 times before I got as far as starting the game and getting on the board! I was spending more of my exercise hour either unplugging the damn thing or getting on and off the board cos it couldn't find me!! :explode:

I think what I'll do is.. do first weigh in tomorrow morning on new one then I can see if any difference between what it said i was last, I reckon by the time I've gone through unlocking everything again on ALL the games I will have lost my last 7lbs.. lol!

Be interesting to see if it gives me the same target weight as last time, if so once I reach it I'll try plugging the old white one in once more (only has to work once) with new board and record my target weight on there too, just so I can see how excited the little balance board gets when I reach 3st lost! :laugh:
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Unless you had an SD card in your WII. Every thing was saved to your WII hard drive.

So yes, you are going to have to start every thing over. Which really sucks.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Chances are very good you will have to start over.
  • flittershy30
    Options
    I had the same issue with my wii. My husband and I got it when it first came out and it started acting up about a year ago. We looked into a new one but found out there is no way to transfer saved game data to the new system. It is one of those start all over things.

Wish I had some fix I could tell you about but there really isn't one, sorry.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that you're going to have to hook your old wii up to your computer and transfer data. Idk. have you goggled it? http://techtips.salon.com/transfer-game-data-one-wii-another-2399.html
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Like others said it saves on the hard drive. You will have to start again I think... Maybe try plugging the old board in like you said. Maybe it will transfer the data? X
  • LostScarecrow
    LostScarecrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have an SD card, it should be possible to move your Wii data on the old Wii onto the card and then plug the SD card into the *new* Wii and again transfer all the data there.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    All of your Wii Fit profile info is saved in your Mii, which is on the internal memory of your old Wii. If you still have your old Wii and it still works, you can transfer your Mii to the memory in your Wii remote, and then from the remote back to the new Wii.

http://www.technipages.com/wii-save-mii-to-remote.html
  • shakybabe
    Options
    It's ok I'll start with the new one tomorrow once I get to the goal weight, I'll give it one last try with connecting old wii to the new board, it only has to start up once and hopefully I can record me at my goal weight! ... just so I can get a screenshot for my records!

That little animated balance board had better be real excited and doing cartwheels when I make it to 3st lost after all this hassle! :laugh:

Just going to clear a SD card off flip camera first and use it for new Wii, not gonna make the same mistake again!! :embarassed: :ohwell:

I need a treat meal.. lol then its back to the salads and workouts from tomorrow!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    If you have an SD card, it should be possible to move your Wii data on the old Wii onto the card and then plug the SD card into the *new* Wii and again transfer all the data there.

How would I move data from old Wii onto a SD card? how big would it need to be?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    All of your Wii Fit profile info is saved in your Mii, which is on the internal memory of your old Wii. If you still have your old Wii and it still works, you can transfer your Mii to the memory in your Wii remote, and then from the remote back to the new Wii.

so will this only transfer the Mii or also the data of all the games they have played on? .. as I already created them again on the new one.

Also what happens in games where they have their own characters and you haven't use a Mii? .. ie Zelda where you would play Zelda.

Thanks
  • LostScarecrow
    LostScarecrow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Assuming the "Mii" suggestion made above doesn't work for you, you need to access your Wii's data settings if you can. I can't say the space you'd need as I am not aware of how large the file is, but you can check. Basically plug in your SD card and then go to your Wii menus.

From the "Wii Main menu" select "Wii Settings".

Then select "Data Management".

Then select "Save Date".

"Then select "Wii". You'll also notice a "SD" option. these basically say what's on which. So go into the "Wii" one and then search for your Wii Fit data. Selecting it should give a "Copy" option, and allow you to copy it to the SD card.

Then once this is done, exit out and put the SD card in the new Wii and do the same, only copying from the SD card to the Wii.

Without one in front of me, it's hard to recall exactly, but that *should* work.

This will work for ALL games you select and copy over. Including things like Zelda.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I'm thinking that you're going to have to hook your old wii up to your computer and transfer data. Idk. have you goggled it? http://techtips.salon.com/transfer-game-data-one-wii-another-2399.html

I knew you could save it on a card when I got uDraw and it said to save pics on there to transfer to computer but I had been on Wii Fit for a few years by then. I didn't know you could transfer data from Wii hard drive to a card, I'll have a look at that thanks!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Assuming the "Mii" suggestion made above doesn't work for you, you need to access your Wii's data settings if you can. I can't say the space you'd need as I am not aware of how large the file is, but you can check. Basically plug in your SD card and then go to your Wii menus.

From the "Wii Main menu" select "Wii Settings".

Then select "Data Management".

Then select "Save Date".

"Then select "Wii". You'll also notice a "SD" option. these basically say what's on which. So go into the "Wii" one and then search for your Wii Fit data. Selecting it should give a "Copy" option, and allow you to copy it to the SD card.

Then once this is done, exit out and put the SD card in the new Wii and do the same, only copying from the SD card to the Wii.

Without one in front of me, it's hard to recall exactly, but that *should* work.

This will work for ALL games you select and copy over. Including things like Zelda.

Thanks, I'll try this later.. I'll try plugging old wii into bedroom tv, see if can get it to start up.
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options

so will this only transfer the Mii or also the data of all the games they have played on? .. as I already created them again on the new one.

Also what happens in games where they have their own characters and you haven't use a Mii? .. ie Zelda where you would play Zelda.

Thanks

I'm not sure about non-Mii data such as Zelda, that may have to be transferred to an SD card via data management as LostScarecrow mentioned. I do know for a fact that transferring your Mii via the remote will transfer Wii Fit data. My mom started a Wii Fit profile on my Wii, and then I got her Wii Fit for Christmas a couple years ago and she transferred her profile over, along with several other Mii's that had Wii Sports profiles.
  • shakybabe
    Options

Thanks

I'm not sure about non-Mii data such as Zelda, that may have to be transferred to an SD card via data management as LostScarecrow mentioned. I do know for a fact that transferring your Mii via the remote will transfer Wii Fit data. My mom started a Wii Fit profile on my Wii, and then I got her Wii Fit for Christmas a couple years ago and she transferred her profile over, along with several other Mii's that had Wii Sports profiles.

well I did half the process but forgot half.. lol! .. I got the files copied and put the SD card in new wii then started it up and still had to start again! .. I guess I thought it would appear on screen like it would on a computer so I figured it hadn't worked so just started on my first workout anyway I got a good 60 mins exercise, then when sat down with a cuppa realised I forgot the end bit.. ie going into menu on the new wii and copying it over... DOH!!! :ohwell:

so I'll try again tomorrow morning! .. hopefully I'll be able to carry on from where I left off tomorrow!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    it didn't work! :sad:

went into Wii menu on new wii to transfer files across to memory form SD, it would only do the Wii fit one, so it didn't start on profile I started yesterday I deleted that then transferred wii fit data from old wii, none of the other games would transfer it saud the game had to be played first

When I went back to game and started it, it said my Mii wasn't present in plaza and would start with a Guest Mii so I turned it off.

I don't understand why it data transfer didn't work from SD card? I'll try putting my Mii onto the remote and see if can get it to work that way.

Do I have to have started the game first before I can transfer the Mii into Wii Fit? or put it in the Plaza first before I start the game?