cooking wine

Options
i use wine in quite a few meals but never stopped to think how many calories this adds to recipes when cooked. does anybody know the answer? :love: :heart: :love:

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In cooking with wine, the alcohol evaporates off so there are less caloreis than oyu start with but who know how many less. I'd just count what I was putting in eg 200 calories for a cup (8oz) of red and divide that by the number of servings, eg 4. That would be 50 calories per serving. That's probably a littel high due to the alcohol evaporation but close enough and there is no way to get an accurate net that I'm aware of.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    In cooking with wine, the alcohol evaporates off so there are less caloreis than oyu start with but who know how many less. I'd just count what I was putting in eg 200 calories for a cup (8oz) of red and divide that by the number of servings, eg 4. That would be 50 calories per serving. That's probably a littel high due to the alcohol evaporation but close enough and there is no way to get an accurate net that I'm aware of.

This is what I do too. I'd rather log conservatively than low ball it.
  • pwillini84
    Options
    Your typical wine is 12%-15% alcohol. If you use 8oz to cook, and that wine has 200 calories / 8 oz., one way to eliminate the alcohol is multiplying that 200 calories by .88 - .85 to take that out of the equation. Then divide that by the number of servings. This will get you even closer to the actual calories per serving.

example:

A dish for 4 calls for 8 oz white wine, 12% alcohol, 200 calories.

200 x 0.88 = 176 / 4 servings = 44 calories / serving

Hope this helps.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    My understanding is that the alcohol is what contributes most of the calories in wine. (Definitely true for distilled liquors.) The rest is mostly just water (and awesome flavors).

If you "reduce" the wine/liquor in a pan, you boil off essentially all of the alcohol, so I wouldn't worry too much about the remaining calories.

Now if you're making rum-balls, that's another story !