Protein

Options
I have been doing MFP for about 2 weeks now. I am doing fine calorie wise. I just seem to be coming short on my protein. I started drinking Atkins Advantage which was suggested by a MFP friend. Any suggestions

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I don't like Atkins, personally. But I do advocate getting plenty of lean protein. My BF says if you're looking for protein with little else in it, try low fat or fat free cottage cheese.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, how short are you coming up?
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, how short are you coming up?

I am getting a little more than halfway what they are suggesting close to 25g maybe a little more. They are suggesting 50 and higher
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You can make that up easily with a daily protein shake. I'm not that familiar with Atkins shakes, but I would maybe try Myoplex Lite. It has good protein content and isn't bad on carbs. There are also a variety of flavors so you dont get bored....and tastes pretty good. Another suggestion is grilled chicken breast. Generally, a chicken breast is about 20 to 26 grams of protein. If you are eating the recommended 4 to 6 meals a day, you can incorporate a chicken breast with some veggies. Like a previous poster suggested, you can also try cottage cheese. I eat the small curd mixed with yogurt. Does it tastes great, no. lol But I've gotten used to it and helps supplement my protein intake. You can also add protein powder to yogurt. Thing is, making up 25 grams can/should be pretty easy.
  • Lizabee84
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Egg whites...I cook them with no cal cooking spray and 3 egg whites have 11 grams of protein.
  • missco26
    Options
    I would second this comment on the protien shakes. My trainer had me start drinking 2 day because I was in the same boat. I am not a big breakfast person so I have 1 for breakfast and one right after I work out. I use Muscle Milk light power, I think it tastes great and it's so easy just mixing it with water. Each shake is 25g of protien so it's a huge help! Good luck!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    one serving of meat or eggs should put you over 25 grams of protein. what are you eating?
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eggs, nuts, nut butter, cheese, lean meats, protein shakes!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of lean meats, beans, low fat cottage cheese/string cheese, hummus, egg whites, greek yogurt...I generally try to eat my protein, as opposed to shakes, but I'm sure shakes are a good option too. I try to get 75-100g per day, and I know it can be difficult!
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC Lean Shakes (25g) and the Myoplex Lite (20g) they are my favorites.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I aim for (and typically exceed) 120 gms of protein per day. I get it from a variety of places. Lean meats, cheeses, greek yogurt, beans, etc. I'm also a user of protein powder/bars/shakes. I put protein powder in my oatmeal almost every morning. I also add it to pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc. - anything I'm making that has a 'cake like' texture. I can also drink it mixed with water or soymilk or made into smoothies. I also like some of the smaller protein bars (around 200 cals, less than 10 gms of fat, typically 15 gms of protein) - Supreme Protein and Oh Yeah make some of my favorites.

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    eggs, Greek yogurt, beans, chicken, lean beef, fish. Peanut butter doesn't have a ton of protein. Neither do nuts. Just clarifying.
  • Lizabee84
    Options
    one serving of meat or eggs should put you over 25 grams of protein. what are you eating?

I am a picky eater so i mainly eat chicken, salad, and peanut butter lately. Trying to be more open to food. I eat about 3 oz. of chicken and it is shows on the nutritional facts 11g so i guess i should double it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The one thing that irks me about MFP is the default values they set. Carbs are high and protein is low. As a general rule of thumb you should be consuming 1 gm of protein for every pound of body weight. Most think...what protein can I have with my meal. You should actually be thinking what can I have with my protein.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    String Cheese
    Beans
    Meat (Chicken, Ham, Pepperoni)
    Nuts

Gatorade Protien (after work out drink)
    Whey Protien shake

Keep carbs low and protien up and you'll see a difference!
  • pootop
    pootop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tuna
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I am a picky eater so i mainly eat chicken, salad, and peanut butter lately. Trying to be more open to food. I eat about 3 oz. of chicken and it is shows on the nutritional facts 11g so i guess i should double it.

3 oz of chicken has more than 11 grams of protein.
    try adding another serving of chicken breast some time during the day. or a cup of egg whites.
    for breakfast i like to have a cup of egg whites, 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. it's really good and keeps you full through the morning.

that will give you approx 40 grams of protein right there.
  • Lizabee84
    Options

3 oz of chicken has more than 11 grams of protein.
    try adding another serving of chicken breast some time during the day. or a cup of egg whites.
    for breakfast i like to have a cup of egg whites, 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. it's really good and keeps you full through the morning.

that will give you approx 40 grams of protein right there.

i guess it is time to learn how to boil a egg...lol thanks for the suggestions