Hypothyroidism

Options
hey all. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism which seems to be the huge contributer to my 30 lb weight gain. I have an incredibly hard time loosing weight and was wondering if anyone else shares in my same struggles!!!

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I also have hypo thyroid. I take Cytomel for it. I have no problem losing weight if I eat right and exercise while taking my meds. If I don't take my meds, I am lethargic and gain weight....
  • amknapp82
    amknapp82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, was diagnosed about 9 years ago. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an auto-immune disease of the thyroid. I am also struggling with losing weight with a condition that makes it somewhat difficult.
  • nbarry2284
    Options
    Thanksfor sharing. I'm
    On synthroid. I have tried many different ways to try and loose weight. I'm just worried that now that I have this it's hopeless to loose the weight.
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanksfor sharing. I'm
    On synthroid. I have tried many different ways to try and loose weight. I'm just worried that now that I have this it's hopeless to loose the weight.

It's not hopeless, but it does make it harder.
  • nicolle66
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. It does affect it, but it is not impossible. Keep at it because if nothing else, the eating right and exercising will help you maintain your current weight rather than gain even more. :happy:
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried that now that I have this it's hopeless to loose the weight.

It isn't hopeless, don't ever think that, don't give up.

I had my thyroid removed in July 2010, and during the first following year (while trying to get my medication levels just right) I just kept gaining and gaining weight. And no matter how careful I was, I couldn't stop it, I couldn't lose anything.

However, my levels have been stable since last August and I've lost 10 kg since. Still got 10 more to go, but there's a proof that it's possible.
  • jurrie
    jurrie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year with hypothyroidism. It does affect your ability to loose weight since your thyroid hormones regulate your metabolism. So it just means you have to work a little harder to boost your metabolism than the average person. My advice is have your thyroid levels checked at least every three months since this is a new disagnosis and it will take awhile to get the dosage right for your body, and stick with the exercise. The more muscle you have, and the more you use them the more calories your body needs. Another plus to the exercise is that your hands and feet wont be so cold all the time!
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year with hypothyroidism. It does affect your ability to loose weight since your thyroid hormones regulate your metabolism. So it just means you have to work a little harder to boost your metabolism than the average person. My advice is have your thyroid levels checked at least every three months since this is a new disagnosis and it will take awhile to get the dosage right for your body, and stick with the exercise. The more muscle you have, and the more you use them the more calories your body needs. Another plus to the exercise is that your hands and feet wont be so cold all the time!

I completely agree with this. Once you are on the right dose for you, your body will level out. I have been on synthroid since I was 18. I am 43 now. It may take a few months to get to the right dose, but your doc will monitor you closely.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 12+ years ago. I lost 100 pounds (starting a few years after diagnosis). If your thyroid levels are properly regulated, you should be able to lose weight using the same method that people without thyroid disorders do, moderate caloric restriction, regular exercise (more helpful with maintaining than losing really, but good for you anyway), and patience/persistence.
  • Julie7869
    Julie7869 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Once you are on your medication, you should not have a problem with weight gain. It's only a problem when your thyroid is not working properly. I have been on it for 20 years. I am able to lose weight. So make sure you take care of yourself and take your medication (I am on synthroid -- or levothyroxin (sp?) which is generic). I take it in the morning 1 hour before I eat. Certain vitamins and minerals make it not absorb into your body, so wait one hour after and then eat breakfast. This is a turning point for you now, on yoru way to good health and weight!
  • ktaft77
    ktaft77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

This is excellent advice! I have been on thyroid medicine for about 10 years now, and I can maintain my weight or lose, but it takes more effort. Also as you lose weight your thyroid dosage may need to be adjusted so you are taking less thyroid medicine.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    It's not hopeless at all, I was only diagnosed with hypothyroidism four weeks ago, and I've been taking 50mg Levothyroxine ever since. Before I lost most of my weight before I was diagnosed, I just ate less than most people (for instance, I never eat back exercise calories at the minute, but I'll start once my medication is worked out), it just takes a little bit more time and patience, but don't ever think that it's helpless :)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid surgery almost a year ago - removal of half my thyroid along with a tumor the size of a golf ball. I gained back 12 pounds between surgery and November while they regulated my Synthroid. My level is now 2.81 and I have lost 15 pounds since December 5th. Keep open communication with your doctor about your goals. It is definitely possible to lose the weight once your meds are regulated. Good luck and feel free to add me if you need friends.
  • rorossonera
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 10...it has always been so hard.

And about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with a whole slew of environmental allergies...never followed my diet plan until now. I'm also going to be starting to eat gluten-free...I've never been tested, but I'm pretty sure I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis because my sister was diagnosed with it, and I fit all the symptoms...her doctor actually told her it's a possibility that I have it. but I don't have insurance and can't afford to go to the doctors to have a test done.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Checking often is good advice! I'll try to keep a long story short.... I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism YEARS ago... I had been on the same dosage of Synthroid for years. Doctor did blood test in late 2010 and said everything was fine. In April I had bad health problems. I went to a gyno, who suggested we do blood test for thyroid first. I told her my last test was about six months ago and she shrugs and says "things change...". WELL, I had the test, was out of range, and my doctor still didn't want me on more Synthroid because it was "only a little out of range..." I had a fit, got my dose upped, and the problem went away just like gyno suggested. Before that I had been tired and without energy... My doctor said I was depressed. It made sense. I certainly didn't feel good. But nope. Now that my dosage is up, I have energy to get out of bed and do things, INCLUDING going to the gym to exercise!

All that was just to say a) Get your blood tests done regularly b) Know your numbers and if you are out of range and insist on help, or at least a referral for another opinion c) Being on the correct dosage of medication helps a lot. I have lost 36 pounds since this happened. (I could tell you more stories about how he wanted me on weight loss drugs and or surgery consultation, yet was uncooperative about my thyroid meds at first, but you get the idea.... You CAN lose weight, but it isn't easy, and you have to be vigilant about your own needs.)
  • candyastra
    Options
    It's never hopeless, unless you give up! I've had hypothyroid for quite some time, but never treated, I ballooned! But the junk food and unactive lifestyle didn't help. I am on synthroid and it seems to be pretty regulated. I've been eating much healthier and exercising regularly (whether it's just dance on the wii, wii fit, zumba DVD's, jillian michaels, showshoeing, walking, hiking, whatever it takes!) I'm down 50lb since Mid October and couldn't be happier. I feel better & I look better. YOU CAN TOO!!!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So, if I can ask, how difficult of a time have any of you that have been officially diagnosed actually getting that diagnosis? My wife exhibits all the symptoms of hypothyrodism (in fact I downloaded a checklist of 124 symptoms, of which she had 64) but the doctors insist that she's "normal" and refuse to do other tests. We demanded a referral to a endocrinologist and he dismissed the checklist and said her blood work was "fine" and that she was just fat and should just try to loose some weight.

I am 100% convinced that she has an issue, but all these doctors seem not to care to even bother doing the additional tests. We have an appointment with a naturopath that specializes in metabolic disorders tomorrow, of which I have high hopes, but still not sure. We've been dieting and she's been exercising more frequently lately but after a year of trying to loose weight while I've gone down about 65lbs now she's lost and regained the same 10-20lbs over and over.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!! I had a partial thyroid removal almost 9 years ago due to a tumor and cyst on my right side. I now have one on my left side which is being monitored. I am hypo and take Levoxly .88. Over the years we have to adjust the medicine which is normal. Does it make losing weight a little difficult at times, sure, but have faith you are doing the right thing and continue with what you are doing. Never give up and when you feels discouraged reach out to us. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. My hands and feet get cold all the time but I have a cup of tea and usually I am good to go.

Please feel free to add me. We are all here for support.
  • jurrie
    jurrie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had absolutely no trouble, I went to my family doctor told him how I was feeling. I had blood work done that day, and he called me within a week to let me know what was wrong and that he had called my prescription in to the pharmacy.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yay! Finally a message board I can relate to in terms of weight loss- had my entire thyroid removed (did two 1/2 removals LOL) last surgery was 9/22/11 (was proactive on weight loss right away- knowing that weight gain is a symptom of having automatic hypothyroidism due to complete removal of my thyroid for cancer)
    ... I was a Weight Watcher nut for years, and am finding it harder now than ever to lose weight, weird things can add pounds that never did before. (like any processed carbs). I am still early in my treatment (I know it takes a while to regulate meds)... anyone else have a total thyroidectomy? Care to share how you’re eating, what else you’re doing besides low cals, working out to lose the lbs?

I have been working out pretty hard, and running .I had stopped running for the few months with the surgeries. I am SO HAPPY to see all of you here! Doing something. I have read so many horror stories online about weight gain post-op after thyroidectomy, and phew, what a relief to hear losing weight can be done! I was beginning to wonder with the terrible things I have read online, people who say they’ve gained 80-90-100 lbs, and cannot lose weight! I was frightened to say the least! So happy you all have had success!

It’s scary reading all the terrible stores out there I mean " hey yeah I gained weight after surgery, but am diligently trying to get it off and keep it off" Just so HAPPY to find others who actually have lost weight, gives me the hope and staying power I need. Fortunately, I've only gained 15 lbs, post-op (was severely hypo 25tsh) 10 days after surgery, ha was told by my doc, "Ohh that never happens so soon after surgery, we need to give you more Synthroid." Geez.. thanks for the insight, doc.. never happens is a stupid thing for a doctor to say everyone’s body chemistry is different.

Anyway, I’d love some support from people who actually know what this hypo condition feels like - others seem to just say look, if you exercise more and eat less, you'll lose weight, (well, golly gee why didn’t I think of that?!?!) - duh~!