A dress for a fat girl....

Options
OK so when I was thinner, I liked to dress up, but never in a dress... My boyfriend is taking me out to dinner tonight and I have to wear a dress. Its a black tie type place.... I havent worn a dress since freshmen highschool dances. I felt gross wearing one then and I was 160#'s... Im now 40 pounds more. I dont even know what kind of dress is appropriate for a female with a bigger belly. That I could still feel semi-confident in.

Any suggestions ladies?

Replies

• jenfactor
    Options
    Knee length, A-line (or any kind that flares out at your knees) would be flattering! Actually this is going to sound weird, but if you have a David's Bridal around you, they have tons of knee-length dresses that don't look wedding-ish.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Knee length, A-line (or any kind that flares out at your knees) would be flattering! Actually this is going to sound weird, but if you have a David's Bridal around you, they have tons of knee-length dresses that don't look wedding-ish.

I do have a davids bridal... Ill try it. A-line. Okay :) Thanks

Im so nervous. I ALWAYS avoid dresses... Everythign I do is pretty much in hoodies, and Im such a girly girl I cant WAIT to feel comfortable in one.
  • jenfactor
    Options
    good luck! let us know how it goes
  • JanaMatchett
    JanaMatchett Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I was at my largest and needed a dress for a Christmas party the only thing I found that looked okay and hid my rolls was a black dress that had layers - it was that kind of see thru material on the outside that was kinda flowy...so it had like 5 layers going down...like they hung over the top of the next lawer. I'd add the pic if I could I think I have it here at work...if you want to email me I'll see if I can find it and show youwhat I mean...I think it helped cause it wasn't fitted but it also created the illusion of smaller cause the layers going down makes the eyes go from top to bottom and not accross.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Try a babydoll dress! And because it's Valentine's Day, maybe a sweetheart neckline? :)
  • LBlake12
    Options
    David's Bridal is a good idea. Good advice so far... here's a little more food for thought: I agree - A-line is good, or a nicely cut knee-length shift with a long-ish jacket (maybe of chiffon or organza) can look really great, actually. Or, an empire waist can be good (but it definitely needs to be the right cut). If it's black tie, then fabric matters, too. A little bit of sheen can be appropriate. A nice taffeta or other silk weaves can be good for solids/opaques. Organza (kind of a stiff, sheer fabric) over an opaque base can be a very nice look. Did you see Adele on the grammy's the other night? If you're into prints/patterns, for black tie, getting your print from a weave (or texture) rather than from different colors, is better. For flowy sheers, chiffon or georgette are what you want, but with these, layers are probably a must. Also, with chiffon especially, polyester doesn't look nearly as good as silk. Satin is unlikely to be very flattering by itself, but can be combined well with chiffon.... good luck! If you're not comfortable in a dress, it's just not the right cut. Keep looking. :) A well-cut dress can look good on any figure.
    Oh - also - almost everyone has pretty shoulders.
    And - I think maybe it's called a Mandarin neckline? - with a little stand-up collar and closes in the front - can also look great and chic, and make a neck look surprisingly long.
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A-Line is good!
    I got my favorite Little Black Dress from Old Navy a few years ago. It is my special occasion go to. And I think it only cost maybe $20.
    Best of luck!!
    Post a picture of you guys tonight!!
  • V_Zanoudakis
    V_Zanoudakis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    anything empire waist. you'll look fabulous. and you could always just wear a skirt?
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    First I want to say, you are such a pretty girl!! From what I can see in your profile pic, you have gorgeous eyes and lips. Flaunt it!

If you have a Maurices nearby, they have some great pretty, flowy dresses for pretty good prices. Like this one:

pMAUR1-11765352_alternate1_v275.jpg

I always look for ones that cut in right before where my stomach fat starts, so it emphasizes the smallest part of your waist and makes you look smaller. Black always helps too. :) Most of my fat distribution is in my stomach so I totally know where you're coming from. We'll get there!!