Problem...

Options
Melroxsox
Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
Okay, so I know you're supposed to try and eat the extra calories you earn from working out, but I seriously cannot manage to eat that many calories in a day. Is the fact that I can't consume that amount of calories going to impede my weightloss progress?

Replies

• GlamNGlitter
    Options
    I seem to have that problem too!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Banana smoothie! It's my secret weapon. Lots of cals and protein. It's easier for me to drink the extra calories than to eat them sometimes.
  • dachinababe
    dachinababe Posts: 185
    Options
    me 2, I have the same problem with eating my exercise calories. I barely manage to eat my 1200 a day. not because I don't eat, I eat every 3 hours but its really hard to fill up my calories. I don't like peanut butter, I do eat nuts everyday for snack.
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I would say listen to your body, eat when you are hungry and until feeling satisfied, but not full. I never log in my workouts (no extra calories) and it works out just fine.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i don't mean to sound harsh but i don't get how you have weight to lose if you can't even eat 1200???

i have been on this site about a year and a half and i have never understood this.:blushing:

btw....it does screw up the way you lose weight if you don't eat your calories.

an easy way to add calories is to drink a glass of milk :drinker:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    i don't mean to sound harsh but i don't get how you have weight to lose if you can't even eat 1200???

Speaking for myself, I was eating about 400-700 calories a day. No fat, not one ounce. So my body, it knows best, thought we were starving. Erm, because we were :blushing: So anything that I ate went straight to fat. My metabolism slowed to nothing. I wasn't hungry- my stomach had shrunk and I had no energy to move anyway because I had no fuel coming in.

Eventually eating so few calories will make you very thin- but honestly it takes quite a while. Plus even in starvation mode in developed countries- it's not like we're only eating rice or bread. We have calorie dense foods and most foods are so supplemented that we're not going to waste away like some in developing countries.

Just my two cents! :tongue:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I was doing, Gemi. For 4 long years, I ate almost nothing and lost exactly the same (nothing). I'm having a terrible time getting out of starvation mode and eating 1200 calories, not to mention +300-500 when I work out (3x a week). :mad:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Oh yeah, it's so hard. It's getting easier day by day. Still, there are some days where I can't physically eat another bite.

Honestly drinking my calories is so much easier. Shakes and milk, it sounds silly but it really works for me. I've never been a huge nut fan but peanut butter and a banana I can do. Or add peanut butter and some cocoa with some stevia and milk- yummm!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I was very confused by this when I first started. I got some very good advice from people on this site. It was do what works for you. I experimeted and found what works for me. I have been doing this since Feb and lost a total of 38 pounds (avg about 2 per week). I always make sure I eat my regular calorie amount even if I have to eat late. I sometimes eat my exercise calories but mostly not. If I am having a hungry day, I will eat a little more as long as it is good food. I burned off about 1000 calories yesterday. It would have been crazy for me to try to eat this. A lot of people eat theirs and that works for them. I hope this helps you. Just play around with it and find out what works for you. My regular goal for day is 1200 also and I find it hard to make this some days.
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    Your body need a certain amount of calories to function. When it does not get these calories it starts hording them (going into starvation mode). It will hold onto it and turn it into fat thinking it is starving. You should try to eat your 1200 calories a day plus what you add for exercise. Your body need this to function. Try adding little things like a slice of avacado to your salad. Or a glass of milk. One thing that works well for me is to add a protein shake and mix it with milk. That will give you 200 calories right there. Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    LOL, if only I liked avocados or milk. If I had to do this in order to lose weight, I'd say forget it, I'll stay fat. But that's just me, thankfully!

Now, a protein shake I can do. I also like cottage cheese, nuts, eggs, peanut butter in celery, whole wheat pasta, hummus w/whole wheat pita, and lentils.
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Options
    LOL, if only I liked avocados or milk. If I had to do this in order to lose weight, I'd say forget it, I'll stay fat. But that's just me, thankfully!

Now, a protein shake I can do. I also like cottage cheese, nuts, eggs, peanut butter in celery, whole wheat pasta, hummus w/whole wheat pita, and lentils.

LOL! I can only stomach protein shakes if they are mixed with milk. :smile: I do think I could live off cottage cheese though. Cottage cheese & oatmeal, cc & fruit, cc & yogurt. I do love Cottage Cheese!
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Okay, so I know you're supposed to try and eat the extra calories you earn from working out, but I seriously cannot manage to eat that many calories in a day. Is the fact that I can't consume that amount of calories going to impede my weightloss progress?

I don't worry about the calories I earned back from exercising. I just try to stay at the 1200 calories per day. (Which some days are hard for me---sometimes I end up going over--which sucks!):grumble:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    wow this has been a wealth of information and very helpful to me! I think that it's nearly impossible for me to eat more than 1,200 calories a day so thats what im gonna stick with:) I will just continue the workouts dillegently and eat healthy but sensible meals:) thanx for the help guys!!