muscle milk/MM Light bad for you?

Options
I drink those 100-cal muscle milk light drinks after hard workouts sometimes, but was just told by a friend he read or saw that they were really bad for you. i tried looking it up, but didnt find anything BAD other than regular MM having too much saturated fat. thoughts?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Ask your friend why.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    he didnt remember where he read/heard it, but heard there was something in there that was dangerous- he thinks for the heart.

who knows. he could be confusing it with something else- thats why i wanted to reach out here to see if anyone heard something like that.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    he didnt remember where he read/heard it, but heard there was something in there that was dangerous- he thinks for the heart.

who knows. he could be confusing it with something else- thats why i wanted to reach out here to see if anyone heard something like that.

Without knowing details I will give you my vague opinion:

He's probably wrong.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    All i heard abou them is drink the Light. The regular one has to much fat or something like that.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    He may have seen the report that listed Muscle Milk having high metal content.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    He may have seen the report that listed Muscle Milk having high metal content.

That is what came to mind for me also.

Here is a link for the Consumer Reports article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    How about a more detailed response:

Unless there's something that's been proven harmful in that specific dosage level and outside of the context of any other food eaten, then you can't really say that ANY given food is good or bad.

Context and dosage are CRITICAL when making claims like this.

For example, suppose it's very high in fat. Suppose it has 50g of fat per serving. Can you say that it's bad for you because it has too much fat? You could, but you'd be making a statement that is not considering the context of the individuals dietary needs and the rest of his or her diet. I could drink a shake with 50g of fat in it (I might not enjoy it) and still need additional dietary fat each day to hit my minimums. Someone else might not be able to do that, and moreover most people wouldn't WANT to consume 50g of fat in a shake because of the restrictions it may place on the remaining food choices for the day.

In closing, context context context. Unless there's a poisonous substance in Muscle Milk (which I very much doubt), I'm going to guess that by itself, it's totally fine to consume.

EDIT: Think mercury in tuna. Small amounts of it are fine and won't lead to issues. Large amounts of it can lead to problems. Context.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i love it. haven't noticed that any of my limbs have fallen off or anything. must drink it cold though. i'll never make that mistake again. woof.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    awesome. ill keep drinking my MM Light -- thanks everyone :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle Milk Light all the time to add in some extra calories without extra sugar/fat. Oh an yes, cold is the only way...choking it down at room temperature is TOUGH.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    How about a more detailed response:

Unless there's something that's been proven harmful in that specific dosage level and outside of the context of any other food eaten, then you can't really say that ANY given food is good or bad.

Context and dosage are CRITICAL when making claims like this.

For example, suppose it's very high in fat. Suppose it has 50g of fat per serving. Can you say that it's bad for you because it has too much fat? You could, but you'd be making a statement that is not considering the context of the individuals dietary needs and the rest of his or her diet. I could drink a shake with 50g of fat in it (I might not enjoy it) and still need additional dietary fat each day to hit my minimums. Someone else might not be able to do that, and moreover most people wouldn't WANT to consume 50g of fat in a shake because of the restrictions it may place on the remaining food choices for the day.

In closing, context context context. Unless there's a poisonous substance in Muscle Milk (which I very much doubt), I'm going to guess that by itself, it's totally fine to consume.

EDIT: Think mercury in tuna. Small amounts of it are fine and won't lead to issues. Large amounts of it can lead to problems. Context.

I'm in agreement. There is a witch hunt out on supplements.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing before and trying to remember what people had told me. Somethign about too much sugar/calories in the regular muscle milk and artificial sweetner in the light mm? i haven't tried regular muscle milk, but tried the light and have to say it's the best tasting protein powder i've had to date. Thought it was delicious. Can't remember if it did actually use artificial sweetners, but i know i've seen others with it. As long as it's within the calorie range you want to have for a drink/shake, I wouldnt worry too much about it ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Probably from this

protein-powder-findings.jpg
    Consumer Reports Isn’t Immune to Sensationalism By Alan Aragon
    http://alanaragon.com/researchreview
    http://alanaragonblog.com .

A lot of people have asked me for my opinion of the infamous Consumer Reports (CR) July 2010 article on the supposed dangers (and relative uselessness) of protein supplements. For the most part I’ve responded like, “The city air is worse for you, so either move to the country or just relax & don’t sweat the small stuff.” However, when I was contacted with this same question by Nick, I thought to myself, “Holy crap, this is Nick Fricking Tumminello…it’s time to get serious.” . Let’s take a look at the danger part first. An important thing to consider is that Consumer Reports is not the end-all authority; it’s merely a single resource to be viewed as critically as any other. No information should be taken on blind faith (even mine!). An early example of CR’s fallibility was a dog food comparison in their February 1998 issue. Iams (one of the companies under CR scrutiny) presented proof that CR mismeasured various nutrient levels. Subsequently, CR published a correction the following month. There are other examples of CR’s mistakes in other industries, but suffice it to say that CR has steered clear of testing dog foods since this 1998 debacle. Assuming that they are the final word on food safety testing would be a hasty move. . In response to CR’s recent protein supplement article, Greg Pickett, founder of Cytosport (maker of Musclemilk), made the valid point that, “…it must not be overlooked that the substances tested by Consumer Reports are naturally occurring in the environment, and it would be uncommon, if not impossible, not to detect the trace amounts reportedly found in any agricultural product, such as dairy products, fruits and vegetables.” [1] . Also noted by Cytosport, CR slickly based its calculations of the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) permitted daily exposure limits on a bodyweight of 50 kg or 110 lbs [2]. Using the extreme low-end of adult bodyweight makes it easy to cook up a gripping tale and claim that the amounts exceed safety limits. . Optimum Nutrition (maker of Gold Standard Whey & Platimum Hydrowhey) posted a response comparing the lead, arsenic, and cadmium content of more than 3-dozen ’regular’ foods with the protein powders tested by CR. The facts put things into perspective really quick. Many of these commonly consumed foods absolutely blow away the heavy metal content of the protein powders. Instead of selecting a few examples that stick out to me, I’d encourage anyone to have a look at the entire list, and then relax a little about your protein supps [3]. I personally don’t see any compelling reason to sacrifice the convenience of incorporating protein powder to meet your daily requirements. . Now, let’s take a look at another protein-related claim made in the same issue. In an article titled, “How much protein?” CR quotes a nutritionist saying, “The body can only break down 5 to 9 grams of protein per hour, and any excess that is not burned for energy is converted to fat or excreted, so it’s a ridiculous waste to be recommending so much more than you really need.” In short, this is simply a load of bunk prone to misleading people into thinking that anything beyond 5-9 grams of protein per hour will go to waste. I have no idea where this figure was pulled, but my guess is from somewhere that the sun don’t shine. For an in-depth look at the topic of protein consumption per meal, I’ve provided a link to a recent article of mine [4]. . Suffice it to say that the idea that protein dosing per meal should be limited to [insert your favorite mythical number here] is usually based on a gross misunderstanding of how the body works - combined with an unawareness of what’s been demonstrated in research. Those who choose to meet their protein needs with 2-3 meals will assimilate it just as effectively as those who get their allotment over 4-6 meals. Digestion/absorption is an efficient process whose duration varies according to the size of the dose (our digestive system is way smarter than we give it credit for). Therefore, individual preference should ultimately dictate protein dosing per meal. Don’t you love it when simplicity wins? .
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think whats bad about them is that they give you muscles! Why would I drink Muscle Milk to get muscle? I use it an nothing wrong. If anything it may be the calorie/fat count in proportion to the amount of protein that you take.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i love that stuff
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Does creatine (in MM) cause bloating?
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    my little brother drank alot of muscle milk when he played football. but he says now the best thing you can drink after a good workout is plain old Chocolate milk, as its just the right combination of sugars, carbs and proteins.
  • Rodneymc4
    Options
    I don't know if MM is bad for you but it is high and sugar and fat per gram...these two components I don't need from a protein shake. For 200 calories of MM you get 10 carbs, 6 sugars and only 30g of protein.

What I want from a protein shake are high grams of protein per scoop, low sugar, low carbs and high quantities of other essential amino acids.

I've compared many of the more popular protein powders on the market and I find the Super advanced Whey Isolate to be one of the most complete.

Body Fortress™ - Super Advanced Whey Isolate Protein Vanilla Cream, 2 scoop 260 calories
    1g fat
    0g sugars
    60g protein

Typical Amino Acid Profile (milligrams per 36 g scoop****)

Essential Amino Acids
    Histidine 457 mg
    Isoleucine 1,619 mg
    Leucine 2,515 mg
    Lysine 1,967 mg
    Methionine 493 mg
    Phenylalanine 709 mg
    Threonine 1,788 mg
    Tryptophan*** 426 mg
    Valine 1,433 mg

Nonessential Amino Acids
    Alanine 1,202 mg
    Arginine 530 mg
    Aspartic Acid 2,681 mg
    Cysteine 605 mg
    Glutamic Acid 4,265 mg
    Glycine 399 mg
    Proline 1,747 mg
    Serine 1,197 mg
    Tyrosine 725 mg

• Enhanced with additional free-form amino acids to work synergistically with Whey Isolate's high concentration of aminos.

• Contains more naturally occurring Branched Chain Amino Acids than regular Whey Concentrate.

2 scoops contain over 10 grams of the following Branched Chain

Amino Acids:

Which typically provides:
    • Isoleucine 3.23 g
    • Leucine 5.03 g
    • Valine 2.86 g
    ***L-Tryptophan is naturally occurring, not added.
    ****approximate values

Really check to see what you're getting from the products you buy and use.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with what and how much of something you put in your body. I loved muscle milk & had it everyday 2 years ago, however, I ended up really sick, with just about all of the issues listed in the Consumer Reports article, and the problem was heavy metal overload & my kidneys were failing. You can all say what you want but it can be dangerous for some people...
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just bought the light chocolate ones to try using post workout!