Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)

Options
2»

Replies

• mlucarelli74
    mlucarelli74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am an RN and soy is bad for your thyroid. As is eating out of plastic. They say that the thyroid is ultra sensitive to the chemicals in plastic. So if you can, especially if you microwave something, try glass, not the heavy plastic containers, no saran wrap (try a moist paper towel on top instead) and keep a glass water pitcher in your fridge instead of drinking from plastic water bottles. That is what I try to do. I buy my milk out of cardboard cartons, not the plastic jugs and yep, stay away from soy! Every little bit helps.
  • mlucarelli74
    Options
    Sorry to keep posting, but I keep thinking of things...lol I was on a diabetic diet and felt wonderful. I am not a diabetic, but just wanted to try it and the low carbs (healthy only), no sugars, small frequent meals worked wonders for me. Not only did I lose weight, but I felt the best I had in years!!
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do not have a thyroid. It was removed Nov. 2010. I gained a lot of weight and had lots of trouble losing. I also felt like crap until I started taking T3 along with my synthroid. After starting the T3 hair loss, headaches, tiredness, weight gain stopped. I feel great! My moods are also under control since adding it.
    I joined MFP last year and then stopped until this January. I am back with a vengance. I have lost 20 lbs since the first week of January. I am on 1200 cals and I also avoid starches and fill in the spaces with veggies. The biggest key is to stay extremely hydrated. If the average person needs to drink 8 cups of water per day you should drink 12. I now have the strength and energy and mental clarity to excercise everyday.
    Be very meticulous about taking your pills everyday. I take mine at 3:30 am every day so I have plenty of space to have empty stomache.
    You can totally lose weight, have energy and feel normal again. The biggest key is to not let your Dr tell you how YOU feel because your labs are in the "normal" range. What is normal for one is not for another. Be sure to find an Endocronologist that listens to how you feel and is willing to try different medication options.
    Good luck!
  • MCC28
    MCC28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had thyroid disease for 21 years. I have struggled to lose weight. I've always had to eat no more than 1200 calories a day, yeah even with exercise. I have to eat about 400 calories less than recommended for my body weight and size and activity level because of thyroid issues. I enjoy a meal replacement shake for my breakfast. Over the years I've tried about every shake and non have come to my rescue of being low in sugar, low in salt and packed full of nutrients. Well last May I tried Shakeology thinking it would prove to be a failure. I lost the ten pounds I could never lose, yeah I know it doesn't sound much, but to me if felt like forever trying, I feel great. I will have these shakes for the rest of my life :) My friend lost 12 pant sizes in 2 months with out trying, nothing has worked for him until this. Here is my information on the shakes http://beachbodycoach.com/mccc
    http://myshakeology.com/mccc Having Thyroid disease doesn't have to be a struggle anymore to lose weight. I finally found what works for me. I hope you find it helpful too :)
  • Jordynnsmom
    Options
    About the soy, the only thing I have ever heard or been told was to avoid soy infant formula and since I'm not an infant haven't worried about it. Here is a link to the synthroid website. http://www.synthroid.com/
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said re the importance of exercise (as well as sufficent rest) and diet. I personally find that Low GI principals really help and also to avoid goitrogens. These are naturally occouring substances found in cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc) and are also found in soy bean products. Heating the foods appears to have a protective effect, so eating broccoli cooked rather than raw will help.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

Books I have found really useful include: The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem, and The Thyroid Diet by Mary J. Shomon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thyroid-Solution-Ridha-Arem/dp/0345429206/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329223379&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thyroid-Diet-Manage-Metabolism-Lasting/dp/000721183X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329223435&sr=1-1

I have managed to loose over 20 lbs since being on MFP. Yes our weightloss will be slower and yes it's really frustrating when we only have to *think* about not being mindful with food and we gain. But achieving a healthy body is possible and maintaining it will help the condition no end.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said re the importance of exercise (as well as sufficent rest) and diet. I personally find that Low GI principals really help and also to avoid goitrogens. These are naturally occouring substances found in cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc) and are also found in soy bean products. Heating the foods appears to have a protective effect, so eating broccoli cooked rather than raw will help.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=47

Books I have found really useful include: The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem, and The Thyroid Diet by Mary J. Shomon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thyroid-Solution-Ridha-Arem/dp/0345429206/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329223379&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thyroid-Diet-Manage-Metabolism-Lasting/dp/000721183X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329223435&sr=1-1

I have managed to loose over 20 lbs since being on MFP. Yes our weightloss will be slower and yes it's really frustrating when we only have to *think* about not being mindful with food and we gain. But achieving a healthy body is possible and maintaining it will help the condition no end.

Thank You for the book suggestions!!!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do not have a thyroid. It was removed Nov. 2010. I gained a lot of weight and had lots of trouble losing. I also felt like crap until I started taking T3 along with my synthroid. After starting the T3 hair loss, headaches, tiredness, weight gain stopped. I feel great! My moods are also under control since adding it.
    I joined MFP last year and then stopped until this January. I am back with a vengance. I have lost 20 lbs since the first week of January. I am on 1200 cals and I also avoid starches and fill in the spaces with veggies. The biggest key is to stay extremely hydrated. If the average person needs to drink 8 cups of water per day you should drink 12. I now have the strength and energy and mental clarity to excercise everyday.
    Be very meticulous about taking your pills everyday. I take mine at 3:30 am every day so I have plenty of space to have empty stomache.
    You can totally lose weight, have energy and feel normal again. The biggest key is to not let your Dr tell you how YOU feel because your labs are in the "normal" range. What is normal for one is not for another. Be sure to find an Endocronologist that listens to how you feel and is willing to try different medication options.
    Good luck!

What is T3? can i buy it or is it prescribed? as soon as you mentioned your hair stopped falling out i went to a health food shop and asked for it lol
  • Jordynnsmom
    Options
    Good luck!

What is T3? can i buy it or is it prescribed? as soon as you mentioned your hair stopped falling out i went to a health food shop and asked for it lol
    It does have to be prescribed by your Dr. Sythroid is T4 thyroid hormone, but your body needs T3. Most drs only prescribe synthroid, but that is not enough. Here is a great explaination of T3 and what it does. http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/how-your-thyroid-works

I started at 5 mcg was feeling better, but not quite there yet. It was increased to 5 mcg twice a day and all the issues I was having stopped. No more headaches, hair stopped falling out, skin and scalp not dry, constipation stopped, insomnia and tiredness (I know the two sound crazy together), mood swings and irritability stopped. I am myself again and feel better than I have in 20 years.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am an RN and soy is bad for your thyroid. As is eating out of plastic. They say that the thyroid is ultra sensitive to the chemicals in plastic. So if you can, especially if you microwave something, try glass, not the heavy plastic containers, no saran wrap (try a moist paper towel on top instead) and keep a glass water pitcher in your fridge instead of drinking from plastic water bottles. That is what I try to do. I buy my milk out of cardboard cartons, not the plastic jugs and yep, stay away from soy! Every little bit helps.

^ this
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    i've been on the same dosage of synthroid for 20+ years for hypothyroidism, have my blood checked every 6 months per my family doctor, and have been drinking soymilk for the last 5 years - with no change in my NORMAL blood levels of thyroid hormone. my urologist told me to switch to soy from dairy milk. i don't know where this information about soy products comes from, but it's completely off the wall at least in my case!

I mean no disrespect to you, but you're 60 years old so your sperm count is probably not important to you.
    For a man who is trying to conceive, soy has to be avoided because it does affects sperm count. Same in woman, soy affects estrogen, so ovulation and lutease phase.
    Soy isoflavones is recommended to woman in their menopause to treat the side effects of their lack of estrogen.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I mean no disrespect to you, but you're 60 years old so your sperm count is probably not important to you.
    For a man who is trying to conceive, soy has to be avoided because it does affects sperm count. Same in woman, soy affects estrogen, so ovulation and lutease phase.
    Soy isoflavones is recommended to woman in their menopause to treat the side effects of their lack of estrogen.

there were 1,057,000 babies born in japan last year. soy is a staple in the japanese diet. your comment is confused by the facts.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

It does have to be prescribed by your Dr. Sythroid is T4 thyroid hormone, but your body needs T3. Most drs only prescribe synthroid, but that is not enough. Here is a great explaination of T3 and what it does. http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/how-your-thyroid-works

I started at 5 mcg was feeling better, but not quite there yet. It was increased to 5 mcg twice a day and all the issues I was having stopped. No more headaches, hair stopped falling out, skin and scalp not dry, constipation stopped, insomnia and tiredness (I know the two sound crazy together), mood swings and irritability stopped. I am myself again and feel better than I have in 20 years.

thank you for that x i will ask my doc next time im there so fingers crossed they will be open minded. on that site it also states jillian michael's also has thyroid related problems...and look at her body! that's encouraging
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Quote from a previous poster :)
    "It does have to be prescribed by your Dr. Sythroid is T4 thyroid hormone, but your body needs T3. Most drs only prescribe synthroid, but that is not enough. Here is a great explaination of T3 and what it does. http://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/thyroid/how-your-thyroid-works"
    end quote

Thank You for the link to the endocrineweb.com site - lots of great info there - I bookmarked it to research more about it !!!!

One of the reasons I like MFP - so many helpful people willing to share their resources!!

((HUGS))
    ~~PR
  • mlucarelli74
    Options
    How many of those Japanese have thyroid issues? Not saying that soy products are bad in general. Just that they should be avoided if a person has thyroid problems. Also, not saying having soy will effect everyone who has a thyroid problem...but why risk it? . As well, you say your thyroid level has been stable for 20+ years. People who are 40+ tend to have more stable levels because (statistically) their lives are less stressful. They usually have stable jobs, relationships, kids out of home etc...not as many stressors and life changes = stable thyroid levels (not saying that his is your case). And I think that some people are just lucky...most people with thyroid issues had told me when I was first diagnosed, "Oh, it is so easy! Get put on meds and then check your levels every six months You don't have to watch anything. And you won't even know you have a thyroid problem!" Not so in my case. Over the last 12 years my levels needed to be changed every 3 months, I can't take any OTC cold remidies, antihistamines (horrible palpitations even with stable thyroid levels), must have stable carb intake or metabolism goes haywire, any stress or >5 lb weight change effects my levels, hair thinning, complexion changes, GI issues (one extreme to the other) resulting in preparation H usage (which, cause me inexplicable palpitations to find out that you can't even use that with thyroid issues!...lol Found out months later and the mystery was solved), extreme fatigue...etc. Everyone is different. Anyway, you are very lucky to have a stable thyroid level and can have soy products with no ill effects. But that does not mean that the research is null and void. There are exceptions to everything and every body is different. I would kill to have a stable thyroid level for even a year!!!!
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For all the people who are taking hormone replacements, especially desiccated thyroid, how long did you take it before you noticed a difference? I don't mind doing the hard work to lose weight but dieting is much easier when there are actual results.
    I am starting thyroid medication soon and I am curious what to expect and how soon? Thx
  • Jordynnsmom
    Options
    For all the people who are taking hormone replacements, especially desiccated thyroid, how long did you take it before you noticed a difference? I don't mind doing the hard work to lose weight but dieting is much easier when there are actual results.
    I am starting thyroid medication soon and I am curious what to expect and how soon? Thx
    Usually for me it takes about a week. The most important thing is to take it EXACTLY as directed. Empty stomache with at least 2 cups of water and NO calcium within 4 hours . Also do not skip days. I would definately say get a weekly pill case. Good luck.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found it was wheat for me rather than all glutens and carbs. I still eat potato and rice, non-wheat based breakfast cereal etc and still losing. I switched to gluten free bread, I haven't tried rye or spelt bread yet... still trying to find one I really like! .. as I love my cheese on toast or scrambled eggs on toast (once a week treat!)

Having the energy to exercise was another major thing but I have other complications besides my thyroid... just be prepared for it to be a long journey! I started last June got to within 5lbs of my goal and my damn TOTM are playing up (i'm also in peri-menopause) so just when I was hoping to lose another pound the water retention has piled back on and taken me to back over 10st! :sad:

Any hope of losing another 5lb by end of March has gone, but hopefully I will get there for June when it will have taken 1 year to lose a measly 3 stone!.. so frustrating when you see ads on internet 'I lost 4st in one month' etc! :noway:
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid since the age of 12 (46 years). It is important, once diagnosed and on meds, to have it checked routinely because it does fluctuate and the wrong dosage can be hard on the bones (source my internist and my oncologoist). Anecdotally for me, exercise is an important part of the weight management program. I don't seem to be able to push past lethargy without it. I have had the most success with my weight loss since following my husband's diabetes management diet. I think another poster noted the same thing. I suspect these same approaches would make sense whether I had a thyroid problem or not.

It is important to work with your doctor and pharmacist about when and what to take your thyroid with. I did try for awhile to take it in the ideal fashion. On an empty stomach with much water, waiting awhile before eating, not near calcium or other supplements. Unfortunately, with my med schedule and work schedule that path was unsustainable. So I worked out with my dr. that I take the thyroid at the same time everyday with breakfast. I take all my vitamin supplements at night
  • newtattie
    newtattie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am probably throwing a spanner in the works here, please forgive me if I do but I can only write about my own experience.

I had a thyroid operation 16 years ago to remove my left thyroid lobe when a lump which had been growing for 3 years became extra thyroid and hence made me overactive, whilst it grew it was underactive - caused mood swings, panic attacks, depression severe lethargy etc. Once grown the overactive thyroid made me lose 3 stones in 2 months, a need to eat thousands of calories a day so as not to get light headed and faint and quite hyperactive.

The lump and thyroid lobe were removed and I remember the advice of the surgeon to try to see how it regulated itself before going onto medication because once on it I would be on it for life.

I take no medication - I trust my body to tell me whats going on - I used to get a few days every month to 6 weeks of depression - I am always tired but I deal with it, and I do carry extra weight. I had intolerances to dairy for a few years and wheat and steadily healthily lost weight during this. I now eat very well - lots of veg, fish, pulses - I mix soya milk and lactose free and I have regulated my moods so the depression is hardly noticeable since the diet change.

Since November I have watched what I eat and now exercise up to 5 days a week - I have lost 7 kgs, I have more energy and am generally just very happy.

I have never wanted to take meds - after so many problems with my thyroid I wanted to stop putting into my body anything I am not in control of - the more exercise I do the better I feel, and I know it could be easier - but this suits me.