jog speed

Options
hi
new to the gym if i brisk walk at 5km/ph and jog at 5.5 kmph is that decent speeds and should I aim to increase speed incline or both .
I currently walk for 5 jog for 15-20 walk for 5 (minutes that is) all on the flat hate jogging if I walk at 5.5 will I burn the same calories expect a no to that but live in hope lol

Replies

• sarahlouisah
    Options
    any advice please ?
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Increasing speed and incline will increase your heart rate. Increasing heart rate burns more calories. Burning more calories will cause more weight loss. 5km/h? That seems slow, maybe my math is off.
  • stacywx2
    Options
    hi
    new to the gym if i brisk walk at 5km/ph and jog at 5.5 kmph is that decent speeds and should I aim to increase speed incline or both .
    I currently walk for 5 jog for 15-20 walk for 5 (minutes that is) all on the flat hate jogging if I walk at 5.5 will I burn the same calories expect a no to that but live in hope lol

You could try interval training. You will burn more calories, have a longer after workout burn (calories), and, it will get you to raise your heart to a more beneficial rate. Interval training would look something like this, but you could probably find other combos on the web: RUN for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds, RUN for 30 seconds, walk for 30....or any combo there of. A super brisk jog for a minute or two and then walking so that your heart rate comes down, but stays within your zone is the key. You want to have your heart rate at 80% of your max when run.

Again, you could find different combos on the web under "interval training". I run from work to home so I use street markers instead of time periods. Good luck!
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are, to burn more fat you want to jog or walk at a speed that will keep your heart rate within the fat burning zone for max results.....the faster you jog/run you will burn less fat, yeah we all know you will have an higher calorie burn the faster you run but most of it is from carbs not fat.
  • sarahlouisah
    Options
    thanks will try intervals as that sounds easy to manage than longer faster running
  • kushal_gulati
    Options
    I would probably mix up your cardio to see best results. Maybe try the interval training method couple of times a week and try the brisk walk on the treadmill on couple of the other days a week.

A personal trainer i know gave me a fitness challenge which I thought worked quite well. Hike the treadmill incline up to 15% and walk between 4.2kmh and 6.2kmh. Pick a speed that suits you and walk continuously at that speed for 50 minutes. It will seem easy at first but after about 20minutes you should feel it working!!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    whether this helps. i run at 13kmph for 30min comfortably... i walk for 30mins uphil (15% - full gradient) at 7.2kmph. this is quite brisk. however i am quite fit, im a personal trainer. 5.5 would be considered an average however with out a gradient i would suggest you are walking around 6kmph. hope this helps a little!!