I can finally get an HRM!

Options
I would like to hear recommendations for one, please. If it's nicely price that would be cool too.

Replies

• MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Get the Polar RS100 it's better that the FT7 every one always talking about and the price is around the same give or take 20~30 bucks. I bought my HRM for 109.
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    109$? Man...steep haha. Where'd you get it? I'm going to check amazon.
  • waterhaunted
    waterhaunted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to figure out which HRM to get as well. Reading many reviews. Some say Polar others Timex Ironman.
    Both Mfg seem to have pros and cons. Good stories, bad stories.

Anyone ever have the Timex Ironman. I'm leaning that way because you can replace the battery, where as, Polar you need to send it in for replacement. I read where many just buy a new polar rather than send them back.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Timex Ironman are great quality (the only reason I stopped using my watch was I broke the band and misplaced the remains!) and can really take a beating, but most people prefer Polar. My bf has the polar F7 or something, he loves it and it wasn't too badly priced either.
  • MHunte
    Options
    I got my HRM from Sports authority
  • Rachel812011
    Rachel812011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently bought a Oregon Scientific Heart Monitor. I got it at Academy for 30 bucks. It's kinda big and "manly" but since it is my first one I thought I would start with this one. Its easy to use and seems to work just fine. They had cuter ones but were running about $80-$120. I might hit my husband up for one of those when I get tired of this one...LOL
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got a sportline at walmart for $49. Just make sure it has a chest strap.
  • MHunte
    Options
    I have been trying to figure out which HRM to get as well. Reading many reviews. Some say Polar others Timex Ironman.
    Both Mfg seem to have pros and cons. Good stories, bad stories.

Anyone ever have the Timex Ironman. I'm leaning that way because you can replace the battery, where as, Polar you need to send it in for replacement. I read where many just buy a new polar rather than send them back.

The reason you send it out is because it's water proof and if you do it yourself you might not seal the back of the unit correctly and they also service the unit....
  • MHunte
    Options
    Lets put it this way... you get what you pay for.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 $78 on amazon.

I also found a clearance one at D-I-C-K-S Sporting Goods for my mom for $39. Not a FT7 though.

I chose Polar b/c the machines at my gym are Polar.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Most Polar you can change the battery yourself now -- I have an FT7 and love it.
    I wish I had spent a little more and gotten an FT60 though so I could program VO2 max but this will do.
    Mine was about $75 on amazon.

I tried the Timex and it didnt work for me. It keep thinkin my heart rate was 0.
    I tried 2 different ones and finally just returned them both.
  • ruthiebabe78
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out as well. I've been researching for weeks and can't decide which one. So many of them are manly looking, so I've been trying to find one that is more femine. They all seems to have pros and cons which makes it impossible for me to decide. UGH!!!!
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 off amazon for $50
  • MHunte
    Options
    The main features of the Polar RS100 heart rate monitor are:

Continuous heart rate monitoring
    Manual setting of heart rate training zones
    Two automatic methods of setting heart rate training zone: OwnZone is based on how fit you are on the day of your exercise. The second method is based on your age.
    Heart rate can be set and displayed as BPM or % of Max HR
    The wrist watch beeps and the heart rate value flashes when you train above or below your target zone
    Instant (and post-exercise) display of calories burnt (OwnCal)
    Stop watch to start and stop exercise session
    Store lap and split time. Lap time is elapsed time for one lap. Split time is total elapsed time from the start. You can store up to 99 laps in total. You can also see your average heart rate in a given lap.
    Short post-exercise summary: Duration, average heart rate, heart rate zone limits, time in target zone, calories burnt with fat %
    Full post-exercise summary (File): Date and time started, duration, average heart rate, maximum heart rate, target zone limits, time in, above, below target zone, calories burnt, fat percentage of burnt calories, detailed lap information (see next bullet point)
    You get to review total number of laps, best lap time and number. For each lap, you see the lap number, split time, lap time, average heart rate, heart rate at end of the lap.
    Cumulative stats of sessions since the last reset date: Total duration, total calories burnt, total number of sessions
    Two alternating timers. Use them for running intervals.
    Basic time keeping: Time, date, alarm
    Backlight
    Water resistant up to 50m
    Polar UpLink to transfer data from a PC to the heart rate monitor
    Coded analogue wireless transmission from its chest strap
    Note: The Polar UpLink feature requires a Windows PC with a sound card and loudspeakers or headphones.

The Polar RS100 heart rate monitor is quite well equiped with features, given that it is an entry level heart rate monitor in Polar's running series.
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    I'd probably be one of the people who would buy another than turn it in to be serviced. How much does it cost to be serviced?
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to decide too. I was looking at the body bug or slim coach, but I keep hearing everyone talking about Polar. Do you leave it on all day or only when working out?
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just got the Polar 4 and I love it, even replaced the battery myself, very easy - about $80 on newegg.com
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    after all my research and review reading - and keeping my budget in mind, I went with the Polar FT4 - ordered on Amazon - like 60 bucks. using it for the first time 2nite ;)
  • MHunte
    Options
    I'd probably be one of the people who would buy another than turn it in to be serviced. How much does it cost to be serviced?

Its free all you pay for is the battery!!
  • MHunte
    Options
    I have been trying to decide too. I was looking at the body bug or slim coach, but I keep hearing everyone talking about Polar. Do you leave it on all day or only when working out?

Once you turn it on it stays on until battery is dead normally 2 years.. but thats just the watch the battery in the chest strap trasnmitter am not sure on the life span on those