Running the heat?

Options
Anyone running in hot, hot weather? 85 degrees and humid in Milwaukee today. Suggestions? A do or a don't?

Replies

• Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    We've been running 95 degrees on average. I usually take it back inside on days like this. 85 degrees may be pretty good if you are really well hydrated. The heat takes your energy so much faster.

Heck, the hard core runners around here still run outside even when it's 100 degrees. Not me! I'm a wuss, haha!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    just stay super hydrated and you should be fine.... I used to live in AZ - it's a "dry heat" but then again so is my oven. ugh. :laugh:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    yes, it was 80+ here today at 8am, supposed to be 95+ today. I try to run early in the morning or later in the evenings when it is this hot. Stay hydrated, try to run in the shade and not on pavement, trails are best. Don't wear cotton, wear wicking clothes. I also wear a running hat to keep the sun off my face.
  • janie7773
    janie7773 Posts: 1
    Options
    yes, i ran in 100 degree yesterday... remember to hydrate every 15-20 min...
  • aolson78
    aolson78 Posts: 7
    Options
    If you're conditioned to running outside, I'd just make sure you're well hydrated and go ahead and run!
  • KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday in some extreme heat. I sweated like Ive never sweat before. Which I hope means I burned a ton of calories. But I didnt drink enough water, because I developed a killer headache that lasted the rest of the evening. So you drink more water than I did ( I only drank about 12 oz).
  • s_sanchez
    s_sanchez Posts: 96
    Options
    I can't drink right before or during a run because I get stomach cramps, even if I drink only a small amount. Is there anyway to avoid this? I always end up just chugging water after.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I can't drink right before or during a run because I get stomach cramps, even if I drink only a small amount. Is there anyway to avoid this? I always end up just chugging water after.

First, start off by drinking enough water throughout the day so you're at least hydrated. Maybe try sipping water on water little by little rather than chugging water while you run because that can cause some pain.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your body is used to. Somebody from the south that is used to heat and humidity can handle it better than a northerner where those hot sticky days are few and far between.

It is about 85 and humid here in Toronto and I will just stay in all day.
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ok, after all this discussion yesterday, I super hydrated all day and went for a run outside anyway yesterday afternoon.

I lived...
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida I run everyday - water is the key - I carry a bottle with me when I run

although I see some people running a noon and just think they are :ohwell: