Losing when already at a healthy weight

Options
I was 123 lbs at Christmas, I am up to 125 now, and really want to be 118-120, but those last few lbs of loss are evading me. My current BMI is about 20.5, and my BF around 20%, so I know I am ok where I am now, but would be happier just a few lbs lighter.

Does anyone have any advice? Or is anyone in the same boat to offer support?

Replies

• wcsangel
    Options
    I'm so glad that there's someone else out there!!!

I'm about 119 at the moment - which is perfectly healthy, even on the lower end of the scale. However, I would like to lose another 6/7 pounds, and tone up a lot more. It's not that I want to be stick-thin or unhealthy, I just have a very tiny frame, and my body fat % is still around 26% (which isn't great, all things considered).

My advice is that only you really know what you're happy with. Fair enough, you're at a 'healthy' weight, but if you want to lose a few more pounds, and it won't be 'unhealthy' to do so, go for it!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I am not intending to get anywhere near underweight. I just want to lose that little bit more to know I don't wobble at inopportune moments!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I can help you!
    PM me for more details!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but to learn to love you for what you are and what you have accomplished :flowerforyou: you look amazing
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I can help you!
    PM me for more details!

unless you are trying to sell her something, why is your help private?
  • fteale
    Options
    I have no advice but to learn to love you for what you are and what you have accomplished :flowerforyou: you look amazing

Thank you! So do you.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat so this year my New Year's Resolution was to work on body fat percentage. I lost six more pounds and had my personal trainer measure body fat. It is 21% and she advised me to maintain my current weight (123 pounds) and continue strength training and cardio workouts. I am 5' 4" tall. My healthy weight range is 108-145.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was 123 lbs at Christmas, I am up to 125 now, and really want to be 118-120, but those last few lbs of loss are evading me. My current BMI is about 20.5, and my BF around 20%, so I know I am ok where I am now, but would be happier just a few lbs lighter.

Take it off SLOWLY!
    1 lb per month.

And be very, very careful not to fall into any reverse notions about body image that make you obsess over it all.
    Don't go wacko and turn to skin and bones.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I can help you!
    PM me for more details!

unless you are trying to sell her something, why is your help private?

My thoughts exactly.
  • ah531
    ah531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm in this same boat. It's tough to stay motivated when people are always saying things like, "You're already skinny, don't worry about it." Especially when you know you want better and can be healthier! Question for all of you - what do you use to measure your % body fat? I also have a smaller frame, so BMI and weight aren't great ways to measure. Thanks!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I am in the same exact boat as you. I wanted to lose 3-5 "vanity" lbs. I gained a few lbs from eating too much Halloween candy and my weight went back up to 130-131. I had given myself a comfortable weight range of 126-130 so once I hit than 130-131 mark, even though it was still a healthy weight for me, it wasnt something I was comfortable with.

I tried to lose those extra fews lbs by excessively working out (I work out alot as it is) and then trying to eat really low in calories but of course that didnt work because I was starving ALL the time. Since that wasnt working, I consulted with my running coach and was told that I needed to eat over 2,000 calories (for my body and the amount of exercise that I do). I started journaling EVERYTHING I ate and slightly increased my water intake. The weight started to come off slowly...alot slower than I wanted but it was still coming off. The point is, you have to do what you think is best for YOUR body. We can tell you what WE did, but this isnt a one size fits all kind of plan. Maybe play around with your calories and figure out a range that will work for you. My coach wanted me to eat 2300 calories. I found that I was losing about 1/2 lb per week eating 2300 so over the last 2 weeks I started eating between 2000-2200 calories and this past week I lost 1.6 lbs. I am currently 126.4...right back in my comfortable weight range.

Drink tons of water, watch your sodium intake (maybe even add that column to your food diary)...eat plenty of protein and moderate carbs (you need carbs for energy). If you have one, use a Heart Rate monitor to get a more accurate number of calories burned for your workouts. Those of the things that have worked for me.

Try different things and see what happens. You can also log onto www.fat2fitradio.com and use the BMR calculator to see exactly how many calories you should be eating for weight loss. Most of us think that the less we eat, the more weight we will lose but sometimes you dont want to restrict your calories TOO much because you are not efficiently fueling your body which will result in a less effective workout.

Hope some of this helps!
  • fteale
    Options

Take it off SLOWLY!
    1 lb per month.

And be very, very careful not to fall into any reverse notions about body image that make you obsess over it all.
    Don't go wacko and turn to skin and bones.

You are very sweet to worry. Thanks. I am trying very hard to keep up my strength and overall fitness level. If I notice any drop in performance, I will stop the weight loss. I hear what you are saying.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why you're worried about the number on the scale. Just focus on tonining up...which may add more weight. It's about how you look and feel not how much you weight(as long as you're in a healthy range like you are)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I am not intending to get anywhere near underweight. I just want to lose that little bit more to know I don't wobble at inopportune moments!

Wobble? Can I assume you mean you have a little extra fat that is still bothering you when your clothes are off?
    My suggestion would be to eat at a slight deficit ~300 calories below maintenance, and start heavy resistance training (pick up those heavy weights girl!). This will GREATLY improve your body composition, giving you better results than just losing more "weight."
  • fteale
    Options

Wobble? Can I assume you mean you have a little extra fat that is still bothering you when your clothes are off?
    My suggestion would be to eat at a slight deficit ~300 calories below maintenance, and start heavy resistance training (pick up those heavy weights girl!). This will GREATLY improve your body composition, giving you better results than just losing more "weight."

I am quite muscly, but am a bit stuck on the weight training thing, as I don't have access to a gym. I do what I can at home and doing circuit training with some weights and resistance (press ups, lat dips etc). I have a lot of stretch marks from pregnancy. A LOT, and a lot of extra skin from them, which isn't attached to the muscle beneath, so I am a little self conscious about wearing fitted clothing, even though I have good muscle tone.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian Michaels, the last 5-10 lb are the hardest to loose. Here are her tips for loosing 5-10 1b of vanity fat.

1. Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg per day.
    2. Drink at least 80 oz of water per day
    3. Cut out processed foods
    4. No Alcohol
    5. Train at 85% of your MHR (Maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 days a week.

She gaurantees you can loose at least 5 1bs in 30 days.
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No advice but just to say you are my TWIN and I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm 125lbs now (well, fluctuate between 122-125), 20%BF and would like to end up about 118ish and drop the body fat just a bit.
  • fteale
    Options
    No advice but just to say you are my TWIN and I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm 125lbs now (well, fluctuate between 122-125), 20%BF and would like to end up about 118ish and drop the body fat just a bit.

It's nice to have a twin!