ladies :) your thoughts on gaining muscle while reducing fat

Just curious on hearing what you ladies think about whether or not it is possible to reduce your body fat while increasing your muscle mass simultaneously. I've been reading up a lot on this particular topic lately and some studies show it is not possible since fat loss requires a reduction in calories while muscle gain requires an increase in calorie intake. 

i've also read that with clean eating and a balanced cardio/weight training routine both is possible. 

The idea of fat loss and simultaneous muscle gain being impossible seems logical from a male point of view since their idea of muscle gain conventionally ( but not always) far exceeds what muscle gain would mean for a woman-- which is why a lot of men looking to gain a significant amount of muscle bulk first and then cut.  in other words, most women  ( again im
not saying all woman strive for this physique) i know arent looking to be body builders or gain a whole lot of muscle mass.. just looking to tone and define while getting their bf to a lower number..

what are your thoughts on this ? if your trying to do both how do you balance out your cardio and weight training routine ? whats your diet like ? 

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I think it's absolutely possible. I had my body fat % checked about 6 months ago, at 170 lbs, and my lean body mass was 100 lbs, making my body fat 41%. Then I had it checked again after I'd lost 5 lbs, and my body comp was 109 lbs lean body mass, making my body fat 34%. I gained 9 lbs of muscle, while still lowering my body fat percentage.

I generally do a mix of cardio and strength training every time I work out, unless I'm doing yoga or I have a long running day. On my long run days (8-10 miles) all I do is run...because Jesus that's a lot of working out :)

My diet is generally high in protein, with a moderate to low amount of carbohydrates. Not that I'm a big low carb advocate, it's just what works for my body. I also tend to gain muscle quite easily and quickly. I eat back about 25%-50% of my exercise calories, for the most part.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    I've read a lot on the topic too and tend to agree with the camp that says it is very VERY difficult to gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. However, I do believe you can gain STRENGTH while losing fat, and change your appearance even though you are not actually gaining muscle mass.

I'm currently focusing mostly on strength building, so am eating at a slight deficit (about 200 cal), focusing on protein intake, and obviously lifting heavy. My "weight" loss has slowed dramatically but I still lose a bit (less than 1/2 lb per week). I am getting smaller though, and still losing inches.

Right now I stll do cardio 3x a week, and lifting 3x a week (I don't do well mixing the two on the same day). I am doing that because I have a couple races coming up that I want to train for...but I have noticed I'm struggling in making additional gains on either side because I'm not quite "committed" to one or the other. Once I've got these few races done, I'm going to switch my focus to strength building, ease up on the cardio, up to maintenance calories or even a bit over to try to gain some additional muscle, and then go back to a deficit when I'm ready to cut fat again.

A pretty non-committal answer, and I'm by no means an expert, but that's where I'm at.
  • Heck Yes! If only because muscle can help burn fat :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I think that you can lose a lot of fat and gain a little bit of muscle, or gain a lot of muscle and lose a little bit of fat. But I don't think you can lose a lot of fat and gain a lot of muscle.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    it's possible, just try not to weigh yourself while doing it because you'll get frustrated.
    Dropping fat lbs while gaining muscle lbs = slow to no drop on the scale, and sometimes gains.
    Instead take pictures and measurements & track your progress.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    I would say only to a certain point. If you have never lifted a day in your life, then sure you can make what muscle you have stronger by lifting weights. However, building muscle = gaining weight, which means you need to be in a calorie surplus and not a deficit. Try reading up on some of Steve Troutman's stuff (stroutman81) - he's super knowledgeable and willing to help.

Also, the metabolic effects of muscle are overrated.

If you want to gain muscle, you WILL have to eat more. Protein and fat.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    I totally believe it is possibly! It happened for me then I screwed up and gained the fat but yes I totally do believe it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Just curious on hearing what you ladies think about whether or not it is possible to reduce your body fat while increasing your muscle mass simultaneously. I've been reading up a lot on this particular topic lately and some studies show it is not possible since fat loss requires a reduction in calories while muscle gain requires an increase in calorie intake. 

i've also read that with clean eating and a balanced cardio/weight training routine both is possible. 

The idea of fat loss and simultaneous muscle gain being impossible seems logical from a male point of view since their idea of muscle gain conventionally ( but not always) far exceeds what muscle gain would mean for a woman-- which is why a lot of men looking to gain a significant amount of muscle bulk first and then cut.  in other words, most women  ( again im
    not saying all woman strive for this physique) i know arent looking to be body builders or gain a whole lot of muscle mass.. just looking to tone and define while getting their bf to a lower number..

what are your thoughts on this ? if your trying to do both how do you balance out your cardio and weight training routine ? whats your diet like ? 

You can lower your bf% while gaining muscle, but you will have trouble gaining muscle while losing fat. Here is what I mean. If you are in a caloric surplus and lifting heavy and are currently say 25%BF%. Now say you go from 120lbs to 126 lbs and of the 6 lb gain 5lbs is muscle and 1 lb is fat. Even though you gained a pound of fat your BF% would be decreased.

120 at 25% gives you 30 lbs of fat, so now at 126 you have 31lbs of fat giving you a BF% of 24.6%.

The other way to lower BF% can be during dieting. Say you are 120 25% fat and lose 6lbs, 4 of that being fat, so at your new weight of 114 (120-6) you would have 26lbs (30-4) of fat giving you a BF% of 22.8% (26/114) vs 25% (30/120). So you may lose muscle while losing weight but still lower your BF%. The key is to lose a larger % of fat vs. muscle then what your current make-up is.

In either of these cases above it will be most likely:
    - for gaining if you surplus is small or for losing your deficit is small (0.5lb/week goal),
    - you lift heavy weights (have to push the muscle to work)
    - eat a large amount of protein
    - only engage in a limited amount of cardio (excessive cardio will cause you to lose muscle)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I believe a cardio/weight lifting routine at the same time is extremely beneficial. Lifting while losing weight will help ensure you don't lose much muscle mass, you will have newbie gains but not significant gains, plus you will burn more fat while in calorie deficit. As you lose more and more fat those muscles will already be conditioned and become more and more visible. It wasn't until I understood this concept and started incorporating lifting, lifting heavy weights, that I started getting the results that I want!!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    bump
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    the answer is yes and no.
    Yes i will happen but it is what we call newbie gain. After about 6 months or so, if you still want to gain mass you will have to do bulk and cut cycle.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    I guess I don't quite understand how you can not do both at the same time. I have lost 16lbs but my arms and my shoulders and legs all have a TON more size and definition than they did 2 months ago.

I currently do cardio 5x/wk and lift about 3x/week. I run & swim mainly. The swimming has really helped cut my arms up.... the results are amazing...
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.

ETA: Lifting can help you preserve what muscle you do have while you're losing fat. You may look more toned, because you're losing body fat, but you aren't gaining muscle unless you're eating a calorie surplus. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I guess I don't quite understand how you can not do both at the same time. I have lost 16lbs but my arms and my shoulders and legs all have a TON more size and definition than they did 2 months ago.

I currently do cardio 5x/wk and lift about 3x/week. I run & swim mainly. The swimming has really helped cut my arms up.... the results are amazing...

Are they actually bigger or look bigger because you can now see the muscle that was covered in fat? And you can do both at first "newbie" gains, but once you are lifting for a while you will lose muscle as you lose fat.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    I honesly would say that they are bigger, my arms are, and actually I did my measurements today, I am down 4.5" in 2 wks but the only measurement that didn't change was my arms ( taken at the bicep)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I honesly would say that they are bigger, my arms are, and actually I did my measurements today, I am down 4.5" in 2 wks but the only measurement that didn't change was my arms ( taken at the bicep)
    Newbie gains. At least there is a benefit at starting lifting lol. Also do not mistake muscle inflamation with muscle gain.
  • hi im having trouble getting my ticker on my profile...i dont know what im doing wrong...
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Yup you should it will make you look more toned.
    Don't watch your scale though, muscle is heavier than fat.

Justine :0)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I have no idea, but I know for certain that muscles get bigger. Some on MFP posters have assured me this is just water, and I have no reason to doubt or believe that. I don't really care. I know I've lost weight, have less body fat and my muscles are bigger. Whether it's because I've been carrying around extra water in the muscle for months, or I've actually increased the muscle mass doesn't really matter to me because I look firm.
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    BUMP