Kid's Menus Suck!

Options
I don't know about anyone else but I'm sooooo tired of going to a restaraunt and seeing 'chicken fingers and fries', 'grilled cheese sandwich', 'spaghetti and cheese sauce' and 'mac'n'chesse' on the kids menus! Is it not an option for kids to eat healthy too?!? I try really hard to teach my kids to eat properly and they KNOW those foods are bad for them so why do I want to go to a restaraunt and say "oh well, you'll have to eat bad today cause all they have on the kids menu is crap". Now obviously I don't do that - they order off the adult menu instead - but it just frustrates the crap out of me. And don't get me started about the adult menu's either - you'd think with a nation trying to get healthy they would start offering nutritional information in their menus..... ugh. I have to do tonnes of research before I eat out just so I know what I can and can't eat!

Has anyone found great restaraunts that offer healthy kids meals???

Anyhow, just wanted to vent! Thanks for listening!

Replies

• rugbygirlca
    Options
    I concur. My kids are little, so we tend to just order two adult entrees and then share with the kids. We get to control our portions a bit and the kids get way healthier food.

We were at Disney with the kids in the fall and this was my HUGE beef with the dining plan. In almost all restaurants, kids on the dining plan have to order off the kids menu. It's basically the exact same menu in every restaurant and very little of it is healthy. My kids are willing to eat more than just pasta, chicken fingers, pizza and burgers.

No real solutions, but I vent along with you!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying! My oldest is only 2 years old, but he just eats from our plate and probably will for a long time (until he eats enough to order off the adult menu). He loves grilled chicken, fish and veggies! Don't get me wrong, he will eat pizza too, but that isn't his favorite. :smile: I like Panera because at least there I can get him a sandwich (which he only eats the meat anyway) and yogurt with milk.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,266 Member
    Options
    Well... that is what most customers want so that is what the company is going to sell. Supply and Demand. Having items on the menu that do not get ordered will only increase overall costs for a company while that item is bringing in no revenue. I mean, I know this site is about making healthier choices and decisions, but it is not always possible. Have you written any of these places with your ideas? How can someplace make changes if people do not speak up? Not saying it WILL change anything, but venting on here will absolutely not make anything change.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Have you written any of these places with your ideas?
    How can someplace make changes if people do not speak up? Not saying it WILL change anything, but venting on here will absolutely not make anything change.

I have expressed my opinion to restaurants (on lots of occasions). Now, I just use my wallet to express my opinion. If there's nothing there for my children to eat that is healthy, we don't go there.

It is ok just to vent sometimes. Depending on the type of family you have, they may or may not be supportive. I have to fight constantly with my in-laws who sneak food to my kids (like you would a dog) because they think that I am too stict for trying to help them make healthy choices. Sure, I let them have treats, but the treats have to be worth it.

It's nice to have a community of people with whom you can share their opinions, express frustrations and offer solutions.
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    As a kids menu fanatic..it sucks for adults to eat off it too. Kids stuff is great FOR ADULTS watching calories! But If I go to Olive Garden I don't want chicken fingers.. I want something with a smaller portion of a adult menu...

ps if a place has appitizers their good portion wise
  • knitsewclick
    Options
    It is pretty sad, but I guess chicken fingers and cheeseburgers are still the norm for a lot of families?

My girls usually go right to the soups/salads portion of the adult menu to choose their meals. A bowl of soup with a piece of bread is often more than enough to fill them up. If there's nothing good there they will try to talk each other into sharing an adult entree, or they will go to the appetizer menu (those are often more then enough for a kid, too, but finding apps that aren't deep fried or drowning in cheese or sour cream is sometimes tricky). When they order our server tends to seem a bit confused and if there is any sort of seasoning or spice in the dish that is ordered they ask 2 or 3 times if we are sure that she wants that. Then they are surprised when they come to clear our table and see that the seasoned dish is finished.

I have noticed an improvement in many restaurants around here, though, and we tend to go back to those places more often.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My husband says they are made specifically to get kids addicted to food... so I just feed my little one off my plate and probably will continue to do so.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found great restaraunts that offer healthy kids meals???

No, I haven't. And for awhile I tried eating kids meals to save calories and they were so nasty! How the adults quesadilla can be fabuous but the kids one taste like cardboard I just don't know.

Unless my son has a hankering for something specific on the kid's menu, I generally now just share a plate with him, getting an extra side dish of mac'n'cheese or something he likes.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    How can someplace make changes if people do not speak up? Not saying it WILL change anything, but venting on here will absolutely not make anything change.

I have expressed my opinion to restaurants (on lots of occasions). Now, I just use my wallet to express my opinion. If there's nothing there for my children to eat that is healthy, we don't go there.

It is ok just to vent sometimes. Depending on the type of family you have, they may or may not be supportive. I have to fight constantly with my in-laws who sneak food to my kids (like you would a dog) because they think that I am too stict for trying to help them make healthy choices. Sure, I let them have treats, but the treats have to be worth it.

It's nice to have a community of people with whom you can share their opinions, express frustrations and offer solutions.

I'm so afraid my in laws will do this.... they do it to our pets all the time (we don't feed them off the table, it encourages bad behavior)... :grumble:
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    When my kids were little, I mostly cooked healthy foods for them at home. If we did go out, it was a treat and not something that would be happening every day, so I didn't mind them eating the junk. They learn their eating habits at home, from the food you provide to them at home. I wouldn't worry about an occasional night out.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I HATE kids menus and so do my girls (5 and 2). They won't actually eat chicken fingers, french fries, hamburgers, or pizza - they don't like them... I usually order 1 adult meal for them to share or my husband and I share our meals with them. My 5 year old LOVES salad so Ruby Tuesday salad bar is always a good option and is actually on their kids menu. We are members of Lifetime Fitness and their cafe has a pretty good kids menu too. I would love to hear where other people are finding healthy kids meals.
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    Try removing the pets when they come (i know its sad but lock them up and lock them out)

I'm so afraid my in laws will do this.... they do it to our pets all the time (we don't feed them off the table, it encourages bad behavior)... :grumble:
  • PompousClock
    Options
    I absolutely understand your frustration. It's absurd that kids get only fried brown things as options. For my almost-four-year-old, I often ignore the kid's menu and instead look at the appetizer, salad/soup, and sides portions of the menu. A cup of soup, a side salad, a veggie - all of them can work as a meal for a small child, especially when paired with a few bites of protein off a parent's plate (and really, the adult portions are usually more than what one person should eat anyway).

For example, I've ordered my daughter a side of Brussels sprouts or steamed broccoli, and then paired it with 3 oz of my pork loin chop or roasted chicken. At a South American restaurant, I ordered from the ala carte menu a single pupusa for $1 and a side of fried plantains for $3, which are served with a warm black bean dipping sauce. Spanish tapas restaurants are ideal for sharing small plates with your kids and trying a few bites of each new food. Japanese and Thai restaurants often have wonderful appetizer menus; an order of chicken satay is usually paired with a cucumber salad; edamame and a bowl of miso soup is filling. Or we order a large appetizer to share, which becomes her main dinner, and then we adults order a side salad or an additional appetizer to round out our meals.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Try removing the pets when they come (i know its sad but lock them up and lock them out)

What do I do with my kids :wink: I can't lock them up when the in-laws come over! I laugh, but it frustrates me to no end.
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I took my boys out to eat at Bob Evans on Sunday after church & there was quite a few healthy choices. There sides included not just french fries & mashed potatoes but also broccoli & fruit. My 2 year old did have the mini cheeseburgers (whatever..) but he had fruit with it, instead of fries & some of my broccoli. My 5 year old had turkey & mashed potatoes with green beans & yes they both had chocolate milk. As much as I would love for my boys to eat completely healthy at all times, and I've said this on other posts too, I at least believe that with children it is all about moderation. They have their kids cereal which I'm sure is filled with sugar, and fruit snacks & gold fish for snacks sometimes, other times its granola bars, yogurt and REAL fruit. They love strawberry's & apples, SOME days they have chicken nuggets and fries for lunch, other days PB & J's or turkey sandwiches. They ALWAYS have vegetables with dinner, and some sort of healthy meat. I use ground turkey instead of ground hamburger & they both love fish & chicken that I bake or grill, instead of fry. Once a week though,usually Fridays, they have pizza & bread sticks for dinner. I don't think I could ever cut out ALL "bad" foods for my kids. I don't really know what point I'm trying to get across, just that to answer your question, yes I have noticed ALL of the "bad" foods on kids menus but I have also noticed some healthier choices along with them. I don't think that it is okay to feed kids chicken nuggets and pizza every day but I also don't think it is horrible for them to have it once in a while, and for our family at least, we don't go out and eat very often so I usually let them get whatever they want, healthy or not. I will say that as a server,my biggest issues with parents is the pop. Say what you want about chocolate milk or french fries, but I seriously cringe and have to stop myself from saying something I would regret, when I have parents ordering their child (sometimes as little as one or two years old) mountain dew! Any pop really, but the mountain dew gets to me the most.... okay anyways to the OP sounds like you are doing a wonderful job raising your kids, keep up the good work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sadly the menus are designed this way because that's what the majority of the public wants. Too man parents don't make an effort to feed their kids healthy food. How many posts do you see on MFP from overweight parents saying they prepare 2 dinners, a healthy one for themselves and something else for the kids. Or that they have to have junk food in the house for kids.

Restaurants want to make a profit so they offer what the general public wants. Don't be rude about it, but ask for child size healthy options every time you go out. Look online for sites that solicit feedback and voice your opinion. If enough people did that, they options would change. But that's a big "if".
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    there's a few chains that have some healthy options as sides. I know Applebees does and I'm pretty sure Chilli's does also. These two both have some healthier adult options also
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    Say they're gone to a friend's house and see if your parents will take them :D ..or put them in their room and tell them to play quietly. What the in laws dont know wont hurt them hehe
  • Winner20122013
    Options
    Can you take me to bob evans :( i miss that place
    I took my boys out to eat at Bob Evans on Sunday after church & there was quite a few healthy choices. There sides included not just french fries & mashed potatoes but also broccoli & fruit. My 2 year old did have the mini cheeseburgers (whatever..) but he had fruit with it, instead of fries & some of my broccoli. My 5 year old had turkey & mashed potatoes with green beans & yes they both had chocolate milk. As much as I would love for my boys to eat completely healthy at all times, and I've said this on other posts too, I at least believe that with children it is all about moderation. They have their kids cereal which I'm sure is filled with sugar, and fruit snacks & gold fish for snacks sometimes, other times its granola bars, yogurt and REAL fruit. They love strawberry's & apples, SOME days they have chicken nuggets and fries for lunch, other days PB & J's or turkey sandwiches. They ALWAYS have vegetables with dinner, and some sort of healthy meat. I use ground turkey instead of ground hamburger & they both love fish & chicken that I bake or grill, instead of fry. Once a week though,usually Fridays, they have pizza & bread sticks for dinner. I don't think I could ever cut out ALL "bad" foods for my kids. I don't really know what point I'm trying to get across, just that to answer your question, yes I have noticed ALL of the "bad" foods on kids menus but I have also noticed some healthier choices along with them. I don't think that it is okay to feed kids chicken nuggets and pizza every day but I also don't think it is horrible for them to have it once in a while, and for our family at least, we don't go out and eat very often so I usually let them get whatever they want, healthy or not. I will say that as a server,my biggest issues with parents is the pop. Say what you want about chocolate milk or french fries, but I seriously cringe and have to stop myself from saying something I would regret, when I have parents ordering their child (sometimes as little as one or two years old) mountain dew! Any pop really, but the mountain dew gets to me the most.... okay anyways to the OP sounds like you are doing a wonderful job raising your kids, keep up the good work.