Habit or addiction?

Options
I have what is either a very bad habit or a very bad addiction. Either way, its just plain bad.

I need chocolate after my lunch. Everyday. Just like a person needs a cigarette after a meal, I need chocolate after a meal. But I only have the problem with my lunch. I thought maybe its because I am at work because I do not feel the need for chocolate after lunch on weekends. But during the weekends I am so busy I don't have time to think about anything.

So, how can I break this habit? Any suggestions? I don't keep chocolate with me but I can always find it. And maybe adding just a little chocolate is not a bad thing. Cause its not like I am eating a whole cake or candy bar (although at times I would like to). Its typically a kiss or tootsie roll. Something along those lines.

Replies

• becjerami
    Options
    There are worse things. If you enjoy it and can fit it into a healthy diet I don't see the problem!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt feel bad about a piece of chocolate after lunch.. i have the same problem with having some cereal before bed.. so i just budget my calories so i can have my cereal... i eat rice krispies which other than some vitamins, has no nutritional value.. but i have to have it.. :wink:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i think a dove square in in the 42 calorie range, so i doubt that will throw you off too much.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    There are worse things you could be craving. Do you like dark chocolate? You could switch your daily choc. fix to a couple of small pieces of dark chocolate.

I agree with the other posters, if it fits in your daily caloric allowance, Enjoy!
  • taraodowd
    taraodowd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, if you want some chocolate, have it, like you said, you dont eat the whole bar, but a little should kill the craving and keep you on track :)
  • Fredafrumpy
    Fredafrumpy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about a viactiv calcium chew? Tastes like a tootsie roll, 40 calories for two of them and your getting calcium!!! It's my chocolate fix!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I usually need a sweet after dinner. Makes it feel complete.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I have the exact habit, I NEED a dessert of something sweet

I would definitely say it is more habit than my body simply demanding chocolate. As a child we always had a lovely dessert after our main meal, and I think it has just stuck with me

I had a habit of when getting to work having a milky coffee, I now just have a decaff black, still the same habit but cutting out the bad stuff and have been doing this for a good while now

I'm slowly trying to change my ways after my meal with chocolate, but its hard.

I did get into the habit of eating carob, its not as sweet as chocolate and is slightly better for you. I find the less sugary stuff I eat the less I need. Shame is, its a lot more expensive to get one thats as natural as possible

Also the Slim fast caramel and chocolate bars are becoming a fave- 95calories per bar and they feel a 'substantial' amount to eat

Breaking an addictive habit is very hard!!