for the mums out there

Options
just wondering how much you all gained in pregnancy, how active you were and how quickly you managed to lose it after???

i'm currently 31weeks with my 3rd, gained 14lbs so far, which seems to be all in my tummy as i'm still able to wear size 8(uk) clothes comfortably, am trying to keep working out and get in workouts as much as my body allows...just starting to worry that i'll suddenly start gaining more or i won't be able to lose it post pregnancy so looking to see other people's experience

Replies

• Venice57
    Venice57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well... I gained 70 lbs while pregnant. I was somewhat active, not as much as I would have liked, until I fractured my ankle at about 6 months along. Then I was quite inactive until the end.

I plan on working out throughout the entire pregnancy next time, and hopefully not falling down the stairs. :)

Edit: I am 5'10"+... that's probably important to consider when seeing the weight gained number.
  • upsydaisy2011
    upsydaisy2011 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I gained around 2st with my first and only got to 32wks but was overweight before pregnancy and over ate (eating for two was definitely my catchphrase of the time). Second time around I gained around a stone and a half (got to 40wks) as I'd managed to get to a healthy weight pre-pregnancy, it took me a few months to get back into shape. Your body lays down extra fat during pregnancy and you have added weight due to additional blood volume, liquor (waters) as well as the baby weight, placenta weight etc. Sounds like you ae doing great, as long as you eat healthily and exercise within your own limits the weight will come off after pregnancy.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've had three...#1 gained 35, #2 gained 40ish, #3 gained 35. I was always hungry and ate way more than should have. If I had discipline, probably essentially would have been 20lbs
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    With my first pregnancy I gained 40lbs. I was fairly active with walking but not much other exercise. I also ate whatever I wanted (I viewed it as my opportunity to eat well!) I lost the weight within 9 months of having her.

My second pregnancy I gained 45lbs. I was really active chasing a 2 year old around, and I ate much healthier this time around. 2.5 years later I still 15lbs to lose!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    First pregnancy - start weight 110 lbs, gained 30 lbs.
    Second pregnancy - start weight 108 lbs, gained 34 lbs.

The weight just fell off after the first pregnancy with breastfeeding. I was 2 lbs under pre-pregnancy weight about 8 weeks postpartum. The weight didn't fall off so quickly after the second pregnancy. I was about 115 lbs at 4-5 months postpartum. Those last 5 lbs came off after I weaned from breastfeeding at 12 months. I didn't exercise at all, besides walking, during or after my pregnancies.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think I gained 30 or 32 lbs by the end but I am wondering if much was water at the end since I had very swollen feet and lost the baby weight within 6 weeks.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 50 with my first but I was also very tiny when I began with that one and prob needed to gain weight. Walked for about 25 min a day. 2nd I gained 25 lbs. With both of those 10 of those lbs stuck but it was a good thing. The next I gained 35 and lost half of it easily the last half had to WORK to get it off and the last pregnancy I gained 35 lbs and I am having the hardest time taking it off Its been 2.5 yrs and I have 7 lbs and lots of toning to go!! With the last one I was not able to move as much I had a lot of hip and pelvic pain and I was sooooo tired I didnt want to most of the time anyways.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Gained 25lbs-30lbs with both pregnancies and was back to pre-pregnancy weight by 3 months pp. BUT I have never been back to pre-pregnancy body shape, that is taking more time. :smile:
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    With my first I gained close to 70#...it was ridiculous! I wasn't all that active, but I was only 21 so the weight dropped right off. I was back to my pre-preg (120#) within 6 months.
    With my second, I only gained 35#. A little more active than with the first, chasing the 2 yr old, and I went for walks. It took close to a year to get back down to pre weight, plus 10#. (130#)
    With the twins, I gained about 35#, and was on bedrest, so no activity. I never did lose all the weight after them, they are 5 now. I got back down to about 150, and at my heaviest I was 190. I am now down to 165#.
  • spskinny
    spskinny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gained 35 lbs with twins, lost it all two weeks after birth, then gain 20 back with PPD. I worked full-time on my feet until 7 months pregnant.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have five biological children and gained 60-80 lbs with each pregnancy...I was able to lose all the weight, though witheach child it took longer and longer...my last (who is now 12 years old), it took about 6 months for me to get back myself...

Don't worry about it, enjoy your new pregnant look, embrace the changes having a baby makes....there will be plenty of time after tha baby is born to get your body back...
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was very active when pregnant with my oldest (with physical work), started about 67 kg, lost down to 60kg in the beginning, then was around 90kg at the birth. By 5 days PP I was at 72kg so it dropped very quickly and I would say was majority fluid (what wasn't baby, anyway) and I was wearing my old trousers within a week.

Still reasonably active with the next, with both work and a lot of walking right up until the end (very physical job again, finished work at 10pm in labour baby born at 2am, so when I say I worked right up til the end, I worked right up til the end LOL). Not sure of starting weight must have been around 67kg again, but this time boy did I EAT! would have been close to 100kg by birth. Again mostly fluid although I don't know any weights after the fact I didn't need any new clothes so must have dropped back to a similar size.

My problem wasn't losing the weight after, it was keeping it off because I kept the same eating habits : / Because I wasn't working any more or nourishing a little parasite to help burn it all I packed on fat up to 84kg over the next 2 years.

ETA: I didn't bother to breastfeed, so the losses afterwards weren't due to that, but I hear it's meant to help.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 lbs with my first, which I considered to be a good amount because I was underweight by about 20 lbs at the time. I started to lose weight after my daughter was born, but found myself in need of an obstetrician about 3 months later (uuummm..birth control, anybody??). I continued to lose weight for another month or two and wound up gaining 20lbs with the second. I never lost the remaining pregnancy weight, and I think not attempting to do so was my first step to becoming overweight.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 stone with my first. A stone and a half with my second (as I never got down to pre-baby weight after the first), and it took me until my youngest was 3 1/2 to get back to my pre baby weight.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Gained 23 lbs while pregnant! I was very active until 21 weeks then a complete couch potato! I began nursing immediately after, by five weeks I had lost all 23 pounds :) I am down an EXTRA 10 pounds now at 4 months 4 weeks post partum!

Congrats and good luck :D
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    My daughter - 80lbs - (taco bell bean burritos)

my son - 40lbs (Egg McMuffins)

:embarassed:
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    was 118 when I got pregnant the first time, went up to 145, got back down to 122, then got pregnant again, this time I got to 148, then down to 144, now I am 134...12 lbs to go, a lot harder this time because I am older and not working, but I am getting there
  • LSHANDREW
    Options
    I have had 2 babies. first one I gained only 9 pounds total and he came out weight 8lb. So all in all I was 17 pounds after delivery then I was when I got pregnant. The 2nd baby.. WELL,I'm still paying for that pregnancy I gained about 45 LB total. Each pregnancy is different. but certainly be watchful the last month.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I gained 45 lbs when I was prego. I lost 16 lbs after delivery. I lost alot of weight not sure how much, but pics show the proof by breastfeeding only. I gained back my 16lbs after I was done breast feeding just by poor diet and exercise. Now I'm using MFP and down 4 lbs in 2 weeks :)