Eating out

Options
Hi all

i am going out with work for a chinese meal on thursday evening, whats the best options??? i expect to go over but dont want it to be silly.

Doug

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Go with something steamed or grilled. Avoid the heavy sauces and the fried stuff. Otherwise, just be sensible!
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN GET STEAMED CHICKEN AND VEGGIES.
    IT HAS NO SAUCE JUST STEAMED. IF YOU NEED SAUCE PUT A LITTLE BIT OF SOY SAUCE ON TOP ITS GOOD
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is very high in sodium, so don't be surprised if you find an increase on the scale, but it should disappear. Eat a banana, it will help neutralize the effects of the sodium. I would avoid anything fried and order brown rice, rather than white. I would also recommend the stir fry options, with veggies, chicken or seafood, rather than beef or duck. Avoid things like egg rolls, chicken wings, or bbq.

Enjoy!
  • chardondave
    Options
    I usually have no problems finding something good and decent at Chinese places, as long as Im careful with the portions.

One word of warning....sodium content is usually VERY high. I can easily put on 2+ lbs of water weight after eating out!! So be prepared and dont beat yourself up afterwards :)
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I was looking for the same info. I found Veggie Delight and Hunan Chicken to be comparatively low.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on another thread about chinese food, this is what I do:

I got to the buffet once a week and get take out - my rules are no lo mein (and i love lo mein), no rice, no breaded anything. I fill half the take out tray with green beans (my addiction) and the other half with chicken, broccoli and shrimp and then I get the heck out of there and eat it at my desk at work. Fulfills my Chinese food craving without going overboard.
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't like meats when it comes to going for Chinese. I usually get the steamed white rice, with steamed broccoli, and the brown sauce on the side. (Brown sauce like the Chicken & Broccoli dish). I do that so the sauce isn't drenched on anything, and you can dip as little or as much as you want with the rice and broccoli. Therefore somewhat controlling your sodium intake. :happy:
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Drink about 4 cups of water before you go. This will help with the sodium. Drink 4 cups during/afterwards.
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had the same scenerio a few weeks back. I opted for steamed rice and a vegetarian special. If I would have been quick on my feet, I would have ordered without sauce or sauce on the side. But, in the end, I still lost weight that week, so all worked out well :) Enjoy!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone has mentioned with the steamed and grilled items. The dumplings are okay (if grilled or steamed), noodles aren't too bad an option and try to have fish dishes....oh the soups are good...

But I'd never listen to the above and just enjoy it and have it as a cheat meal making up for it with exercise throughout the days around it! x

Oh and p.s. never weigh-in after a meal out. I bloat from all the salt and it would be too disheartening so weigh in a few days afterwards if you need to.
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wanton soup is only 60 calories a cup. Makes a great appetizer.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hot and sour soup is low in calories; get anything with chicken, shrimp and/or veggies, and/or tofu. Ask for sauce on the side, stay away from fried rice, and stick with brown or white.

If you like kung pao chicken for example, don't eat the peanuts (The calories add up), I eat the veggies first, then the chicken.

For orange chicken asked if you could just have grilled chicken with the sauce on the side.