Having trouble, Help!!

Options
I just adjusted my food calorie intake (yesterday) by changing my weight loss goals to 1lb/week instead of 2 thanks to some posts (you people here are wonderful ) that said we should eat at least our BMR each day. The auto system had me way below my BMR of 1832.

I'm actually having difficulty meeting the new, 1790 calorie intake. I also feel like I'm supposed to eat too much for my sedentary lifestyle....it was really hard to stick to 1430/day, but I felt like I was doing what I needed to and lost 5 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks.

If anyone has any comments on if this sounds like a correct amount of calories for me, I'm 5'4" and 268lbs, and limited to short 10min of cardio, (if anyone has any ideas on how to do cardio without being on my feet or a bicycle seat, PLEASE tell me about it), offer up your advice.

I am so glad to have found MFP!

Replies

• Pom_love_2
    Options
    I just adjusted my food calorie intake (yesterday) by changing my weight loss goals to 1lb/week instead of 2 thanks to some posts (you people here are wonderful ) that said we should eat at least our BMR each day. The auto system had me way below my BMR of 1832.

I'm actually having difficulty meeting the new, 1790 calorie intake. I also feel like I'm supposed to eat too much for my sedentary lifestyle....it was really hard to stick to 1430/day, but I felt like I was doing what I needed to and lost 5 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks.

If anyone has any comments on if this sounds like a correct amount of calories for me, I'm 5'4" and 268lbs, and limited to short 10min of cardio, (if anyone has any ideas on how to do cardio without being on my feet or a bicycle seat, PLEASE tell me about it), offer up your advice.

I am so glad to have found MFP!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    One thing I've done for cardio is to lay on my back on the floor, put your legs in the floor, bend at the knees and move your legs back and forth like you were riding a bike. This way, your getting the same workout as being on a bike, or bike machine, but your laying on your back watching TV or something :) haha..once you're ready, you can put your hands behind your head and touch the opposite elbow to the opposite knee as you move. If I think of any others, I'll let you know!

Best of luck!
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, that would be great cardio. I was having problems with my weight while I was in the Army, but I had a serious case of chronic achilles tendonitis and a bad stress fracture. I was also limited to just 10 min of cardio (walking, sitting on the stationary bike, elliptical, etc). But I was also told I could swim all I wanted because it kept the stress off my joints and tendons. It really helped. If you have a local YMCA, you can usually get a pool membership for pretty cheap. Good Luck! : )
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    One thing I've done for cardio is to lay on my back on the floor, put your legs in the floor, bend at the knees and move your legs back and forth like you were riding a bike. This way, your getting the same workout as being on a bike, or bike machine, but your laying on your back watching TV or something :) haha..once you're ready, you can put your hands behind your head and touch the opposite elbow to the opposite knee as you move. If I think of any others, I'll let you know!

Best of luck!

Funny how we forget doing things when we were younger like "air" bicycle that they taught us in school gym class! Thanks :flowerforyou: for reminding me, and the idea of taking it one step farther later with the "crunch" added to it. I was trying to do leg lifts but got a really bad pulling sensation in my lower abdomen between the hipbone and groin when I was raising and lowereng my leg to the floor, that was scary. I was afraid of heirniating something because of the weight of my legs. The bicycle idea keeps my legs up and isn't as hard on the lower abdomen because it doesn't pull.
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    Options
    If you are going to the gym you could try a rowing machine.
    Lot of luck and welcome:happy:
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for all the great ideas, y'all. I'm so glad my doctor told me about this place, I've learned so much in just a short time! (even though it was a replacement for physical therapy:grumble: for my back, don't ask me how she figured this was an even switch?.....I have arthritis and scoliosis in my spine)

The great part about it is there is such a varied group, from obese like me to thin and staying thin and fit. I can see this will be a lifetime place to be a part of . :heart:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ooops.... Duplication ERROR!!!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hiya Pom...Under "Tools" you will find a BMR calculator...I have you at 1841 cals for a resting state based on the height, weight, gender and age that you stated.

As far as cardio with your limitations, I would really be inclined to seek the adv ice of a physiotherapist in that regard. I know its tough with limitations....lol (just check out my profile and you will see) and the goal, at least for me, is to get the maximum benefit for what I can accomplish.

As far as food intake...I would think your order would be veggies, protein, fruits, carbs in the form of whole grains and high fibre cereals ie. Bran Buds with Psyllium Fibre or Fibre 1 Honey Clusters and then, of course, WATER, WATER, WATER....at the very least SIX 8 ounce glasses per day....I average 8 or 9 glasses per day...some drink more, some less.

Good Luck POM...it's certainly do-able!
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Options
    Can you swim?