healthy veggie dip??

Options
Hello! I am looking for a healthy veggie dip to make for a birthday party this weekend. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Marebare74
    Options
    Hummus? Or fat free sour cream for ranch dip.
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fat Free, plain GREEK yogurt, Oh how I love thee...
    GREEK yogurt has the same consistency as sour cream. You can do TONS with it. I mix plain Greek yogurt with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip powder mix(5 calories). 1 cup plain greek yogurt = 130 calories vice 2Tbsp of "real" dip being 130 cals.
    You can use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or cream cheese, the taste is not so different, especially if you're creative. You can mix lots of different spices with the plain yogurt for different tastes. Try plain Greek yogurt & salsa.
    It's also a fantastic substitute for mayo. Play around with the spices and you'll have LOTS of different options!
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just plain Greek yogurt and ranch powder? Is it really good? I'm getting totally sick of bringing hummus to EVERY party just so I'll have something decent to eat.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've heard the greek yogurt and salsa one. I bet that greek yogurt and ranch packet would work. Skinnytaste has a really good artichoke dip and a great buffalo dip if I remember correctly. Oh, skinnytaste also has a good 7-layer taco dip as well.
  • deanna200284
    deanna200284 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally like using Stoneyfields organic low fat plain yogurt and mixing in Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix. There are a couple different flavors to choose from. It makes a great salad dressing too. For a cup of it, it's around 150 calories with both the yogurt and mix. If you look at regular dips and dressings, it's usually a little bit more for just a couple tablespoons.

If you use it on salad, it would be a good idea to add a couple table spoons of 2% or skim milk to thin it out some. Since I use it so much, I usually just get a large container of the yogurt and pour the whole dry mix right into the container and store it that way. If I want to put it on a salad, I just scoop about a half cup or whole cup out(depending on the size of the salad) and add the milk to it in a bowl or small cup. The yogurt mix usually lasts me about a week. I personally like the spicy ranch. I put it on everything.

Haha, in the amount of time it took me to type this out, several others had the same idea. Proof that it really is yummy!

I have also tried it with Greek yogurt as well, both really good.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    hummus
    baba ganoush
    mix soft silken tofu and a few drops of olive oil (for creaminess) with a dry low sodium ranch or Italian salad dressing mix
  • milkll13
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that you're eating an extremely healthy alternative actual ranch dressing, sour cream, cream cheese or mayo...
    Obviously plain Greek yogurt is not actual ranch dressing, sour cream, cream cheese or mayo! So yes, plain Greek yogurt and ranch mix is awesome. Its not going to miraculously turn into hidden valley ranch, but you're choosing a healthy alternative. I'd rather eat a whole cup of my dip vice 2 Tbsp of "real dip". It's all about what's more important to you. I use Fat Free plain Greek yogurt anytime I can. I have a cookie recipe that calls for sour cream - I use the yogurt instead.
    Deviled eggs, I use the yogurt instead. You could do 1/2 mayo, 1/2 Fat Free plain Greek yogurt if its a specific taste that you're after but once you play around with it, you can figure out a whole lot of uses for it.
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be getting some plain greek yogurt! Does it matter which brand??
  • LJ102011
    Options
    Fat Free, plain GREEK yogurt, Oh how I love thee...
    GREEK yogurt has the same consistency as sour cream. You can do TONS with it. I mix plain Greek yogurt with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip powder mix(5 calories). 1 cup plain greek yogurt = 130 calories vice 2Tbsp of "real" dip being 130 cals.
    You can use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or cream cheese, the taste is not so different, especially if you're creative. You can mix lots of different spices with the plain yogurt for different tastes. Try plain Greek yogurt & salsa.
    It's also a fantastic substitute for mayo. Play around with the spices and you'll have LOTS of different options!

Such GREAT ideas!!!
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Fage 0%. The texture and flavor is amazing. It's like eating dessert!
  • LJ102011
    Options
    I highly recommend Fage 0%. The texture and flavor is amazing. It's like eating dessert!

I will give it a try! Thanks!
  • milkll13
    Options
    <----Agrees with Nadia!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use Lilly's European style fat free sour cream or Trader Joe's Simply Sour Cream fat free and add a packet of dry dip mix- Hidden Valley Ranch, or vegetable, or french onion (whatever you prefer). I can't tell a difference at all between the fat free sour cream and the full fat and you can eat a ton of it and still be fine, with lots and lots of veggies! I make some variation of this pretty much every time I bring food to someone's place. That way I always have something that I know I like and will be able to eat and enjoy. But everybody else always likes it too!
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Momfisch
    Momfisch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally agree Fage is great 0%.....I sub this for sour cream in all now. Don't tell foks they dont even know!!
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    Just plain Greek yogurt and ranch powder? Is it really good? I'm getting totally sick of bringing hummus to EVERY party just so I'll have something decent to eat.

I don't actually use Greek yogurt, I use the regular plain. I pulled the switcharoo with the ranch dressing mix on my hubby just to see if he noticed. He did but said he actually liked the flavor with the yogurt better.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Too funny, I was searching today for the same thing and came across this recipe:

Cilantro Cream Dip
    Ingredients:

1 pint low-fat cottage cheese

¼ cup skim milk

1 tbs. fresh lime juice

bunch cilantro, chopped

Directions:

Blend all ingredients together in a blender or processor until smooth.

Chill until ready to serve with fresh vegetables, pita bread, or chips.

I have not made this, but it sounds really good to me! I did put it into the recipe builder and came up with this:

(guessed on servings)
    10 servings, 1/4 cup each

Calories: 35
    Carbs: 2
    Fat: 1
    Protein: 6
    Sugar: 1
    Sodium: 188
  • twinsmake3
    twinsmake3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you can get this in the States, but in Canada Costco sells a Greek yogurt dip made by "Skotidakis" - Jalapeno yogurt dip with 2 probiotics. Two tablespoons have 3.5g of fat, 2g Carb, 3g protien, 50 calories. It is absolutely addictive!
  • originalusername
    Options
    This recipe is a bit different and mega tasty:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7060/pea-and-artichoke-houmous

P.S. to make it healthier I use much less olive oil and substitute some fat free Greek yoghurt to bind it instead. It's still just as tasty.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've been making a dip I got from Eating Well. It's a black bean and salsa dip that goes great with chips and veggies. It's pretty easy to make too.

1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
    1/2 cup of salsa of your liking
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tbs fresh lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Blend it all in a food processor until creamy. I like to make it in advance and let it set up in the fridge for a few hours first. I've made this a few times and got nothing but rave reviews.