Riz's moms recipe: Chana Masala

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
My mom (like many of us) was the best cook I knew and taught me a few recipes. I will share one of the most healthy Indian recipe you can enjoy. Some of the ingredients you might not have at your disposal but you can buy them for very cheap at any indian store (you typcially get a big bag of spice for under a dollar each)

Chana Masala

Ingredients:

1 cup split peas (lentils)
1 medium size onion
2 tomatoes
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste (i used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tbsp olive oil

boil the 1 cup of split peas till they're soft and can break apart easily with just your fingers. Try not to leave alot of water

In a seperate pot, brown the onion in olive oil. Once its brown, add red chilli pepper and turmeric powder. Add the tomatoes in this and let it cook for a bit till the onions, spices and tomatoes make kind of a thin puree.

In this mixture, add in your lentils and cook for about 5 minutes. Add salt and Garam Masala. Cook for another 5 minutes. Your chana masala is ready!

I usually eat it with "Achar" (Indian pickle made with mangoes and/or other veggies) and pita bread or white rice but you can even eat it as is like a soup

Replies

• LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks :)
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taunto
    Options
    Gonna be selfish and self-bump this awesome recipe that I'm enjoying right now and I would like you all to try making it too!

Thanks mom!
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Faseret
    Options
    I cannot wait to make this, I love Indian! Do you think it would taste good with lentils or chickpeas as well?
  • taunto
    Options
    well, this is lentils, just a different kind of lentil. In india we use different recipe for different kind of lentil. If you're trying to make a lentil soup, i have an awesome recipe for that too that I make though its not as healthy (still very healthy compared to many other soups and heartier too). Lemme know if you'd like that recipe

Edit:
    PS. These are all authentic indian recipes and have not been modified into a "bachelor version" or a "healthier version" or some other version. This is directly from my moms recipe book
  • missylissie87
    Options
    bump
  • Faseret
    Options
    Yes, please on the lentil soup recipe! I have a mung bean in coconut curry recipe that I've made so many times that my whole family might kill me if I make it again, better expand my repetoire :)
  • taunto
    Options
    Fase, i will make a post about it sometime tonight and PM you the recipe and the link to the post when I do :)
  • Faseret
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Chicc
    Chicc Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What kind of lentils did you use specifically... split red or green or something else entirely?
  • taunto
    Options
    For this recipe, the lentils are called "Chanay ki daal" or "chana daal". Found at any indian or arabic store. They're yellow in color and look as if you split chick peas in half after taking off the skin (Hence the split peas)
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For this recipe, the lentils are called "Chanay ki daal" or "chana daal". Found at any indian or arabic store. They're yellow in color and look as if you split chick peas in half after taking off the skin (Hence the split peas)

I think that's the only kind of lentil I don't have... I LOVE anything curry and/or indian food, so I might just try them with something else for now! Thanks for posting :D