Losing "love handles"?

Options
I know that losing belly fat has been talked about a lot, I've heard spot reducing doesn't work . BUT, I am more concerned with losing my love handles. I do have lower belly fat, but my "love handles" stick out really far my current measurements are

5'4"
Weight: 143 lbs
Bust: 38 in
Under belly button/love handles: 37 in
Waist: 31 in
Hips: 36 in

Should I boost my cardio? I currently do 25-60 minutes of circuit training 5-7 days a week and ice skate 2 times a week. Help...

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    soooo you think love handles are different than belly fat? Sorry - same answer applies to both. Keep losing weight. Everyone's body holds fat differently, you'll get there eventually.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    love handles occupy a spot on your body.
    there is no such thing as spot reduction.

what can we conclude from these facts?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You are already doing plenty of training. Assuming your diet is sufficient to support all this activity, just give it time.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

No need to be a ****....I was wondering if there was any difference. I obviously didn't know if I am asking and trying to lose the weight, otherwise I'd be skinny.

:mad:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry out a corner of the sponge if the rest of the sponge is still wet. Same thing with any part of the body you want to lose fat from. Your body decides where to take it from, you just have to work to "dry out the sponge" as a whole.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

No need to be a ****....I was wondering if there was any difference. I obviously didn't know if I am asking and trying to lose the weight, otherwise I'd be skinny.

You will find this a lot of the forums. They are SUPPOSED to be supportive....but then there's people like this. :huh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You will find this a lot of the forums. They are SUPPOSED to be supportive....but then there's people like this. :huh:

Please stop calling me names like ****, ganging up, and bullying me. :sad:

Stating facts that you don't like doesn't make me a ****.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry out a corner of the sponge if the rest of the sponge is still wet. Same thing with any part of the body you want to lose fat from. Your body decides where to take it from, you just have to work to "dry out the sponge" as a whole.

This is a very accurate analogy.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
  • bwalters82
    Options
    It will be the one of the last things to get smaller because it's close to your vital organs, but it will. Keep up the great work!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Please stop calling me names like ****, ganging up, and bullying me. :sad:

Stating facts that you don't like doesn't make me a ****.

It was this statement: what can we conclude from these facts?

Sounds condescending... But I got it ;)
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I struggle with having love handles as well, but unfortunately, I don't think there's a way that you can just target that area to lose weight there. You can, however, do exercises to strengthen your obliques hiding underneath the fat and then do cardio additionally. I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels and she has a DVD called No More Trouble Zones...guess what she considers one of the worst trouble zones?...LOVE HANDLES! :) It's a great DVD!

ps- let's not be mean or fight...it's Valentine's Day! And regardless of the day, let's all just agree to try and support one another :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I liked this one as well.

Also... Taso is VERY supportive. Sometimes getting a point across in such as way as he did can really "stick" with the OP. Don't take it personally. Take what you need, discard the rest.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

I liked this one as well.

Also... Taso is VERY supportive. Sometimes getting a point across in such as way as he did can really "stick" with the OP. Don't take it personally. Take what you need, discard the rest.

Ok...I apologize. :smile: Going into the forums is like dodging a mine field sometimes.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Ok...I apologize. :smile: Going into the forums is like dodging a mine field sometimes.
    [/quote]

I completely agree! :) well put!
  • megmay2591
    Options

This has been recommended a number of times....I'm thinking it may be the answer.
  • lou1105
    lou1105 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to hold alot of weight on my stomach and have really big love handles. I know there is no such thing as 'spot reducing' but i do a mix of cardio such as a 2 mile run 3-4 times a week along with doing a mixture of sit ups and crunches everyday which seems to help. It just takes times as obviously you cant spot reduce, and everyone loses weight at different places first. I tend to lose weight off my face first but struggle with my stomach and thighs. Just keep at it, you'll soon get there :)
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options

This has been recommended a number of times....I'm thinking it may be the answer.

It is the answer or it was the answer for me! Taso rocks btw!
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Well, I just bought the book for my kindle, gonna start reading it now.