Frustrated! Excercise with no result.

Options
I have been losing weight at a pretty good clip since I started MFp at the beginning of December. I've lost 34 pounds so far. I got a FITBIT last week and started walking everyday since. Now in the past, I have literally done NO exercise at all. So I finally start moving and walking about 2 miles a day and now I am completely stalled in weight loss. I'm not eating my excercise calories back because i only "earn" about 350 extra calories a day and I am at 1770 calories anyway. It's not like I have been lifting weights and building muscle or like I have been eating at an extreme deficit. I cant figure out why I gained a pound in the last week. It's so frustrating. Really, the first time in my life i have been motivated to excercise, and I see no results. GRRRR.....

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights... start doing some strength exercises... that /should/ rev your metabolism to start working again.

ETA: Besides, if you have only gained one pound, it might be water weight or something else... don't stress over it and just keep moving... the results will come.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I did look back at your diary and MFP has given you 1770 caloories but you are not eating them all. Most days yu have 500-600 calories left over which is giving you a "Net" of 1000 calories or less some days. Maybe try to at least get to that 1770-1800 calorie mark everyday and that way when you exercise and burn 300-400 you are at least at a "Net" of 1400-1500 calories.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you are stuck at a plateau - read this excellent article:
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Also - measure! I went from 245 lbs. to 175 lbs. in about 18 months. I experienced 2 plateaus - one lasted 3 weeks and one about 5 weeks. While it was frustrating on the scale, my loosening clothes and decreasing measurements made me keep at it.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    34lbs in 2 months?
    Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You changed your routine. Your body needs a little time to adjust to it. And you probably need more calories!
  • vweavers
    Options
    Have you dropped your caloric intake levels since you started? If you've lost 30+ lbs, you shouldn't need as many calories to maintain that level. I went from 215 pounds to 200, and my goal level dropped 70 calories a day. My guess is your 1700 is based on your old weight. Go to GOALS/CHANGE GOALS/GUIDED, and UPDATE PROFILE. See if that drops your caloric intake goal. If it does, that's probably at least part of the reason you've plateaued- you're maintaining/gaining, not losing.
  • lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @ansonrinsmit- yes 34 lbs in 2.5 months. I dont think that is too bad. I started out very heavy and I have about 200 pounds to lose. @vweavers- MFP had me at 1980 callories when I first started. After i lost 25 pounds , mfp recalculated me to 1770 calories which is where I am at today. The fitbit accounts for all your steps in a day as excercise. I'm only taking into account the calories I burn when doing my thrice daily 2/3 mile walks. It only add up to about 350 calories worth of excercise. I am basically eating the same amount as I was before, but now, I am excercising and not losing anything. I will keep going no matter what the scale says, but is still is frustratiing to me not to see any difference when adding excercise in- especially when I never really have excercised in the past.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you went from being a true couch potato to walking daily you are working your muscles and they are holding water. Give it some time for them to get used to the routine and you'll begin losing again. Weight lifting is not the only way to use your muscles.
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the frustration. You WILL see that pound go away. It may even happen tomorrow. Keep up the good work. You are doing a wicked awesome job!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight at a pretty good clip since I started MFp at the beginning of December. I've lost 34 pounds so far. I got a FITBIT last week and started walking everyday since. Now in the past, I have literally done NO exercise at all. So I finally start moving and walking about 2 miles a day and now I am completely stalled in weight loss. I'm not eating my excercise calories back because i only "earn" about 350 extra calories a day and I am at 1770 calories anyway. It's not like I have been lifting weights and building muscle or like I have been eating at an extreme deficit. I cant figure out why I gained a pound in the last week. It's so frustrating. Really, the first time in my life i have been motivated to excercise, and I see no results. GRRRR.....
    Water retention from starting exercising. Common and will stop after a couple of weeks or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you went from being a true couch potato to walking daily you are working your muscles and they are holding water. Give it some time for them to get used to the routine and you'll begin losing again. Weight lifting is not the only way to use your muscles.

^^^Yep. This happens to me EVERY time I change my routine. The scale holds steady for about 2 weeks, then a big drop. Wait it out. You're doing your body and metabolism a favor by walking. Good for you!
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You said ". I'm not eating my excercise calories back ".....

That's really all I needed to hear.
    That's the problem.
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • inspiredseas
    Options
    Good advise. :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you are stuck at a plateau - read this excellent article:
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Also - measure! I went from 245 lbs. to 175 lbs. in about 18 months. I experienced 2 plateaus - one lasted 3 weeks and one about 5 weeks. While it was frustrating on the scale, my loosening clothes and decreasing measurements made me keep at it.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS THIS THIS!!!!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great.............need to send me some of your things you are doing..............great job. How do you like tha fibit am thinking about it for myself, but not sure how it all works...........
  • sailorgrad
    Options
    Bump
  • lunarastro
    lunarastro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping the new excercise routine is to blame and will wait it out while continuing to excercise. I did not know about muscles retaining water after exercise I'm new to this whole fitness thing. I've spent most of my life being overweight and not caring. Finally I have arrived at the point where I have to change and treat my body much better. I have a 5 year old who I want to be around for. I guess because I wasnt doing weight training or a hardcore workout routine, I assumed muscle wouldnt really be involved all that much in walking. I am also only walking about 15 minutes at a time because I am so big, I cant go much farther than that at one time. Hopefully I can increase my exercise in the future, but for now, I'm taking it slow because i know that is the only way I will continue to do this.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mr personal opinion is that you are undereating.

MFP already factors in a 500 deficit. Leaving 500 calories under is 1,000 deficit. I would try to up your calories a little bit at a time, try it for a few days, see if it works.