Question to cyclists and runners

Options
I bought a bike(21 gears) a few months ago and while I can ride on flat surfaces and very minor hills, when I get to a long or steep hill I can't make it up without trembling and getting all swervy and gasping for breath. I'm currently working on the couch-5k program to start running. Do you think if my cardio/stamina increases that I will have a better shot of making it up those hills? Or is it leg strength that I need to work on for cycling?

Replies

• GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You should probably shift to an easier gear to make it up the hills. 21 speeds should have a "granny" gear. With practice it really should get easier.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    I would say a bit of both for cycling. Most mountain bikes I've ridden, theres not many hills you shouldnt be able to get up on the lowest level. Honestly when I first started out and my legs felt tired on hills, I just told myself I was going to get up in a certain gear and tell myself I wasnt tired. It works most of the time. Sometimes alternating between sitting and pedaling and standing and pedaling works too. Good luck
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike(21 gears) a few months ago and while I can ride on flat surfaces and very minor hills, when I get to a long or steep hill I can't make it up without trembling and getting all swervy and gasping for breath. I'm currently working on the couch-5k program to start running. Do you think if my cardio/stamina increases that I will have a better shot of making it up those hills? Or is it leg strength that I need to work on for cycling?

I used to ride a lot before joint issues took hold. You need to build leg strength AND cardio. Do interval training on the bike just like you do for cardio. Develop a good steady pace, ride it for several minutes, then do series of intervals where you ride as hard as you can for 30seconds to a minute then back to steady pace for 2 minutes then speed, then 2 minutes at steady pace. Do several sets of intervals. Also, ride hills. I used to ride a parking garage near me. I was only able to ride at night and the garage was mostly empty and well lit. It was a great strength and interval ride. Up a level, circle the parking level then up the ramp to the next level. It was 8 levels. I'd go up, around, up and then from the top back down. First 10 or 20 or 500 times were killers but after weeks of it, I got so I could ride almost my steady pace the entire way.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Most likely both.....
    Make sure you shift to the easiest gear - smallest sproket in front, largest in rear. and go until you can't go anymore, then stop and walk the rest of the way up the hill. Or, stop take a breather and start again. Depending on the steepnest of the hill getting restarted part way up the hill can be difficult. Keep at it, you'll get there.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm in the lowest gear(1:1) when I go up the hills but I tire out so fast. To the point where my neck and throat are on fire. There is a section of my street that is flat(in my area its almost impossible to avoid hills) so I'll do interval work there and there is a long but not extremely steep hill on the other side that I can go up and down. I'll work on it at night or early morning so the traffic isn't too bad. Thanks again!
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you stand when you go up a hill? That really helps.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes, use a lower gear and stand up.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating sufficant to have the energy also. If you are consuming really low calories and carbs, you may not have enough fuel for your body to perform the additional work load.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    When I tire out, it hits me like a ton of bricks. So by the time I need to stand, I'm exhausted and trembling so bad that I'm scared I'll fall off my bike. I think doing/interval and consistent hill work will help me. I just need to get over myself and understand that it's okay to get off and hoof it.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm in the lowest gear(1:1) when I go up the hills but I tire out so fast. To the point where my neck and throat are on fire. There is a section of my street that is flat(in my area its almost impossible to avoid hills) so I'll do interval work there and there is a long but not extremely steep hill on the other side that I can go up and down. I'll work on it at night or early morning so the traffic isn't too bad. Thanks again!

you need to downshift gear by gear as you go up the hill and your speed drops. You shouldn't be going from high gear right to low gears. The goal is to keep your pedal RPMs consistent so as resistance increases (the road gets steeper), you shift down to keep your pedal speed the same. And you can cheat a little by attacking the hill at an angle, going from one side of road to the other rather than trying to go straight up. That reduces the incline some for you.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Great questions, OP. I've been struggling with the same thing so this was really helpful.