Calories burned durning workouts

Options
I have been working out with a freind at a gym...I have noticed that the calorie counter on the equipment is showing less than what shows on the website. Like this evening I was on s stationary bike for 35 min and went 12+ miles ( aprox 20 mph), the machine shows 200+ calories but putting the same MPH in for the same amount of time was showing over 900 calories.

Which would be correct???

Replies

• Shayl32
    Options
    I would go with the machine, because it was the actual device that recorded your effort. I believe the site is just an estimation.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my exercise bike does the same. i go off the bike because i would rather underestimate than over estimate and gain weight. i am getting a HRM next week, thats going to give me a clear indictation as to how far off i am with calculations.
  • kayleenmcgrath
    kayleenmcgrath Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure, I like to use what the site says because the machine doesn't consider my weight when calculating how many calories I burn.
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    900 calories in 30 minutes is pretty high. The machine is probably closer to accurate, but a HRM or similar device is really the only way to go. Individual results vary far to widely for a machine or a website to even remotely accurately report a calorie burn. Regardless, you were there, on that bike, instead of your couch, so way to go!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have been using a HRM for awhile and usually whatever equipment I'm on over estimates by about 10 cals (for me) and more for my mom. But I would def go off of the machine especially if you input your age and weight.
  • kristindesigner
    kristindesigner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've found descrepancies, too. My trainer told me to knock about 10% off whatever the machine says to be on the safe side.

When I run outside, I track it with MapMyRun.com, which also has calculations for every other kind of workout. I just average whatever MFP and MapMyRun says, which is usually between 10 and 15 calories difference. Maybe Google another site that lets you calculate exercise calories? I know some medical sites like Mayo Clinic, etc, have tools for this.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Neither of the two are going to be all that accurate.

My experience has been MFP is very, very generous ... kind of like Santa Claus. It calculates my calories over what my HRM does every single time. The longer I exercise, the wider the range. It's been off over 250+ calories before. I'd be very careful using that data.

The machines have their issues, too.

Your best bet is a heart rate monitor with a chest strap if at all possible. It will provide you with the most accurate figure.

Until then, I'd go with the lower of the two. I suppose you could average them, but with a range of 700 calories ... I think it would be like playing darts blindfolded.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Found this website today.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm

I don't know how close it is to the truth, but another option to compare.
  • bebbyk
    Options
    What does HRM stand for?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What does HRM stand for?

Heart Rate Monitor