I'm Not Eating Enough?!

Options
So I never thought I would have this problem, considering I am on this site to lose weight, but here I go.

I can't eat enough food.

I know I know... big problems right? LOL

But seriously... I am doing cardio and weight training for about 30 minutes each day, 6 times a week. On average I burn about 300 calories in those sessions, and have my daily calorie intake set at 1290. I am drinking at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day, and usually I throw a green tea bag or lemon in my water.

A typical day of eating is like this:
Bfast: Smoothie - Kale, Asparagus, Strawberries, Mango, sometimes a little yogurt.
Snack: Granola Bar, or piece of fruit
Lunch: Usually a salad (spinach with some veggies and tuna or chicken for protein with lemon juice as a dressing) or soup.
Snack: Yogurt, piece of fruit, or some veggies or nuts
Dinner: Usually consists of protein, veggies and sometimes carbs (chicken, veggies and some rice or eggs, toast and a piece of cheese) etc.

Every now and then I will have a granola bar, yogurt, nuts or veggies as a snack later after dinner. Not that often though. I do drink a glass of decaf coffee in the evenings - with a splash of cream and a spoonful of sugar (I know... I'm working on my sugar but I can't deal without it)

I am very serious about tracking everything that goes into my mouth on here (with the exception of water because I would have to log on like every 15 minutes to put in another glass lol) and I use a HRM when exercising so I know my calorie burn is fairly accurate. I typically workout in the evenings after work or after dinner because I get up mega early for work as it is and I am not a morning person. LOL If I am unsure about my portion size when entering my calories, I ALWAYS go higher on my calorie count. If I feel hungry - I eat. I am NOT depriving myself (except for wine... *sigh* lol) at all and not restricting the amount of food I eat, just the TYPE of food I eat (read: no crap). Typically I am left with 300 calories (my exercise calories) or more. Today I am left with over 600 and its 7:12 PM, I just finished a workout and I am NOT hungry at all.

So... advice please! I can definitely see a change in my body and the way my clothing fits. I am losing weight based on my scale, but considering how hard I am working and all the great food I am eating, the scale is moving VERY slowly.

Should I be eating more? More small meals throughout the day?

Any input would be helpful and appreciated very muchly!!!!

Replies

• shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    my problem is i eat 1,000-15,000 a day and work out but do not lose weight
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Do you feel hungry?? If you don't feel hungry, you're probably okay. If you feel hungry or tired, you should probably eat more. What's "Slow" losing, 1 lb/week, .5 lbs/week? You could try adding olive oil to your salad. 1T Oil and balsalmic vinegar is a great combination. That'll add 100 without making you feel too full.
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Nope, not feeling hungry. Like I said, if I am hungry, I will eat. I don't believe in depriving myself of food as long as I am not eating over my calories - if that makes sense.

I've lost about 10lbs since January 1st. (I had lost weight last year which is why my total is approx 22lbs lost).

So a little over 1lbs/week I guess.....
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Do you find yourself exhausted? If you're not over tired and you're not hungry, then you're probably eating enough. You might consider adding some protein to breakfast, but otherwise I don't see much I would change about your diet. OTOH, i'm not a nutrition professional. I would recommend seeing a dietitian or nutritionist if you have access to one. they can give you a better idea. Take your food logs with you.
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my thought is that you are probably not eating enough if you're not seeing much loss. Your body metabolism will slow down if it feels its starving and if you are exercising that much, you need to feed to burn. I would eat smaller meals/snacks throughout the day as you indicated and see how that works. Give it a week and see if it makes a difference. I'll be curious to see how you do.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Try eating something small and mostly protein at night after you workout. It can help keep your metabolism going through the night while you are sleeping and thus help you lose weight. Also make sure you add weights if you aren't already as muscle helps burn fat
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    how about a protein shake or some chocolate milk after your workout. get some extra protein and some extra calorie:)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on whether you're hungry or feel worn out, as some other people have pointed out. Are you low in any one category such as protein?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eating 15,000 cals a day would be hard to manage losing weight on...unless you're say...1,000lbs.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Eating 15,000 cals a day would be hard to manage losing weight on...unless you're say...1,000lbs.

Or you work out like a demon! :O
  • eclaire9
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I am not feeling worn out or tired or anything. I feel great! And I am working with weights - cardio and weights 6 times a week. I do both everyday.

I am going to try adding in some protein after my workouts in the nighttime to up my calories and try to help boost my metabolism. Lets see if that works!