What helps you lose weight when you have 20 lbs or less to l

Options
2»

Replies

• jennfost777
    jennfost777 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had been dropping(but currently am bloated from you know what lol) about 2-3 lbs a week eating 1150-1200 and burning 300 cals with aerobics at home 4 times a week and burning 500cals at the gym 2X a week on the elliptical and this is what has worked for me. Also, try to read the blood type diet book to find out what types of food you should eat more of and which others you should avoid. Hope this helps
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I lift for roughly an hour 3 days a week. That's it. It works. Lift heavy, tax your body with compound heavy lifts in multiple low-rep sets, doing weight that's all you can handle for those reps. Keep your body constantly occupied with the business of repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue.

Also: eating multiple small meals throughout the day is no better for you than eating all of your calories in one meal. Your metabolism isn't that finely tuned. I fast 16 hours of every day. You don't need to eat breakfast to "jumpstart your metabolism." That is one of the worst myths out there.
    +1

Also, higher intensity cardio seems to become less useful the lower your body-fat gets, due to reduced availability of free fatty acids in the bloodstream. Low-intensity cardio such as walking still draws primarily from fat stores. Doing that first thing in the morning can be helpful.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You generally need a smaller calorie deficit, no more than 500 calories a day (1 pound per week) but preferably a smaller one than that 250 (half a pound a week) is idea. Also lift weights using compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, overhead presses and other exercises that use more than one muscle group) using a weight that is heavy for you 6-10 repetitions per set. Also use Interval training. You can start with less intense intervals, and build up to higher intensity, but Interval training will do more for you that hours of cardio.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I lift for roughly an hour 3 days a week. That's it. It works. Lift heavy, tax your body with compound heavy lifts in multiple low-rep sets, doing weight that's all you can handle for those reps. Keep your body constantly occupied with the business of repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue.

Also: eating multiple small meals throughout the day is no better for you than eating all of your calories in one meal. Your metabolism isn't that finely tuned. I fast 16 hours of every day. You don't need to eat breakfast to "jumpstart your metabolism." That is one of the worst myths out there.

Yep, lift heavy.
    You generally need a smaller calorie deficit, no more than 500 calories a day (1 pound per week) but preferably a smaller one than that 250 (half a pound a week) is idea. Also lift weights using compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, bent over rows, overhead presses and other exercises that use more than one muscle group) using a weight that is heavy for you 6-10 repetitions per set. Also use Interval training. You can start with less intense intervals, and build up to higher intensity, but Interval training will do more for you that hours of cardio.

^ And these are the lifts you should be doing. Although the range I use is 4-8. I'm coming off maintenance so I'll probably start adding 15-20 minutes of HIIT 1-2 times/wk. I might not though because I don't enjoy cardio and it increases my hunger.

For diet, I follow IIFYM (which isn't really a diet) and I do IF (really, I just skip breakfast). As long as food fits my macros, I eat it. Just had a cupcake and will probably have some ice cream before bed. This way I don't have the deprivation/binge cycles. Skipping breakfast doesn't cause me to binge later because I know when my hungry times are and plan accordingly. I know after I leave the gym at 6pm, it's dinner time so I may have a protein shake on the way home (not because you need protein right after working out, also a myth) just so I don't raid the kitchen while making dinner.
  • Ging07
    Ging07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yep, lift heavy.

^ And these are the lifts you should be doing. Although the range I use is 4-8. I'm coming off maintenance so I'll probably start adding 15-20 minutes of HIIT 1-2 times/wk. I might not though because I don't enjoy cardio and it increases my hunger.

For diet, I follow IIFYM (which isn't really a diet) and I do IF (really, I just skip breakfast). As long as food fits my macros, I eat it. Just had a cupcake and will probably have some ice cream before bed. This way I don't have the deprivation/binge cycles. Skipping breakfast doesn't cause me to binge later because I know when my hungry times are and plan accordingly. I know after I leave the gym at 6pm, it's dinner time so I may have a protein shake on the way home (not because you need protein right after working out, also a myth) just so I don't raid the kitchen while making dinner.

It's been awhile since I posted the original question, but what is IIFYM?
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I posted the original question, but what is IIFYM?
    if it fits your macros (macros being macronutrient targets for protein, carbs, and fat)
  • Ging07
    Ging07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks!