2»

Replies

• JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just gotta have music!
  • jwalker30
    Options
    Whatever is playing on the stereo in the gym. I socialize a little bit when I'm at the gym too so head phone don't exactly work. I've been using the same gym for about 4 years and I've noticed most of the regulars who don't use earphones seem to be friends, and the people who use headphones don't seem to maintain memberships as long & don't become regulars
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I don't workout with music. When I first started running I would listen to music on the treadmill but once I learned that you can't use an mp3 player or listening device during triathlons I started training without and haven't used it since.

There's something very relaxing about going running 16 miles and just being able to listen to the way your feet strike or the sound of your breathing not to mention the noises of nature and whats going on around you.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    yea. it actually inhibits me too. i like to hear my surroundings. if it happens to be quiet, it is zen! :)
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Prefer without.

Quiets the mind, sharpens the focus.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't completely alone. I get distracted easy. One minute I'm counting reps the next..........Oooh Shiny!

i'm with you no music at all. i like to know whats going on around me. when i start running out side then i will go for music
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I need no crutches for lifting or running. I'm perfectly capable of finding "the zone" without any help.
  • 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    It depends... If I'm on the treadmill then yes, but if I'm running outside it's a mixed bag. Some days I feel like it and others I do not...
    Same here!
  • frogger581
    Options
    i go to a pretty busy gym, i have to have my own music otherwise everyone else would distract me. plus the gym is pretty much the only time i have thats totally about me, i think that deserves a janes addiction/rammstein/ice cube salute...
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and never use music. It messes up my pace. I end up trying to run with the beat of the music. Even if I get appropriate BPM music it still throws me all off.
  • bchmura
    Options
    If i am at CrossFit they have music blaring most of the time. If i am home and on the treadmill, I watch TV (I really dont like running), but if I am doing straight weight training I am good with silence.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I knew I wasn't completely alone. I get distracted easy. One minute I'm counting reps the next..........Oooh Shiny!

rsrsrs I know! Some people say music is distracting to them, but I really need just one thing that I can focus on, otherwise I cannot stay in one spot for more than 5 minutes and I have to keep walking around and switching things up.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I get so annoyed with headphones and the strings bouncing, so I focus on the sound of the machine, my breathing, the number I want to see on the scale, etc.

All my friends think it's so weird, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Good luck with your weight loss!!

^^THIS! There's nothing more annoying than wires bouncing about when I want to be running free!

Yup. I dont like the feel of earbuds & the wire gets in my way. Plus I find my music too distracting I find myself singing along. The gym has piped music (which is usually terrible) but it's enought to get me thru.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love it! There are more of us then I thought but it look's like we are still the minority here. Thanks for all the replies.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and never use music. It messes up my pace. I end up trying to run with the beat of the music. Even if I get appropriate BPM music it still throws me all off.

this happened to me once... trained for a 1/2 mary, i mean i was ready. I was going to run a PR, i was so ready i was like lets run with headphones, i missed my PR by 5mins, One mile i was ahead of pace, next mile i was behind... i blamed it on the music,

anyway, i don't listen to music, i listen to a podcast.