Stuffed bell peppers

Options
So the hardest part about my new healthy lifestyle is cooking for both my fiance' and myself. He is atleast 6 foot only about 160 lbs... needless to say weightloss is NOT an issue for him. But without his support it would be almost impossible for me. Thankfully he jumped on board and was ready and willing to try all of my healthy recipes. One of our favorites right now are stuffed bell peppers.

I get about 1 lb. of ground turkey (I get the 97% fat free Turkey ball brand), 1/4 cup brown rice, about 1 1/2 cup salsa, chopped onions, chopped green onions, a bit of garlic, and a can of black beans.

Brown the meat ( While the mean browns, cook the rice and boil about 4 to 6 bell peppers, cook peppers until semi-tender but still crisp). Drain meat if necessary. After, add all of the veggies to the meat to cook down. Add in rice and salsa. Cook all of the goodies together... then stuff the bell peppers.

Put them in the oven at 400 degress for about 15 minutes. This is really preference to how long you would like to cook them... we cook ours on 375 for 20 minutes. As long as your peppers don't burn, you can't really mess this up.

The recipe is about a 400 calorie dinner. The black beans aren't a necessary ingredient... I just love the added flavor. But you can save about 100 cals by leaving it out.

Either way, this is a DELICIOUS recipe, that we have atleast 2 times a week!
Excellent source of protein!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    so the meat and filling is already cooked through, and you're just using the oven to cook the bell pepper itself, right?

the addition of black beans also gives a big fiber boost! Sounds YUMMO
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    YUMMY!!!!! Thanks for the info....
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • euphoria11
    euphoria11 Posts: 49
    Options
    yes it is all cooked through... Cooking it in the oven just cooks the peppers more, and adds the bell pepper flavor to the stuffing.

The calories are per serving... per pepper.

However you can calculate it as you cook them.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • katealim
    katealim Posts: 45
    Options
    This is also a favorite in our house. We have the same issue; my husband is envyingly slim with a wicked metabolism and I am so not. Also we add a sprinkling of cinnamon to my 6 year olds and she just loves it.
  • HeatherD
    HeatherD Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My Mouth is watering! can't wait to try those at home....maybe tonight!
    thanks for sharing!
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    yummy!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    this sounds delicious, how many peppers does this make, serving size 4?
    i'm going to have to try it :wink:
  • hammersshells
    Options
    You are a genius! This recipe was fantastic and really filling. Yum yum yum! Thank you!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Had stuffed peppers last night-healthy, good, and filling. I'm going to try your recipe because mine is a little different. Boil peppers in water until soft but still firm-about 15 min-drain
    combine the following ingredients and stuff in the pepper and serve:
    cooked lean hamburger (or turkey), cooked rice, large can crushed tomatoes, small can of green chillies (or omit crushed tomatoes and chillies and add a can of rotel tomatoes with green chillies)
    ENJOY!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Sounds amazing!! Can't wait to try it. What could you substititue for the black beans? I HATE beans :grumble:
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I made stuffed peppers for the first time this week and they were soooo amazing! I used a combination of green, red, and yellow peppers for just a little different flavors. Instead of beans, I put garlic, mushrooms, a little onion, with the ground beef and sprinkled it with crushed red pepper, which just made the entire dish! With it I served some steamed yellow squash and it was one of the most refreshing meals I have made in a looong time. definetly going to be making this more often!
  • glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    I made these tonight and eating it now. Great recipe! thank you. Yummy!:drinker:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind - I'll add my recipe.

red bell pepper
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 can lentils
    1 package of couscous (i like casbah garlic & olive oil
    1/3 c feta, cubed
    2 tbsp of light salad dressing

cut tops off peppers, core and devein, set aside

cook couscous per box, add lentils, onion until water evaporates.
    Stir in feta and light dressing. Spoon into peppers.
    I bake them for about 30 minutes at 350.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Lentils can be swapped out for any bean... I just like the flavor of the lentils and couscous together.
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum! I do something similar except with zucchini instead of peppers. I recently bought zucchini that was ball-shaped, which worked nicely, otherwise you have to scoop out some of the middle.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump. As suggested by another member in my thread asking for recipes! :bigsmile:
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I'm planning a Valentines meal using red peppers :bigsmile: