Raging

Options
I don't really know a good way to describe this, but when I workout I feel great. A short time after my workout I start to feel incredibly irritable and sensitive to what others say. I have never taken steroids or any other mood altering meds. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I love exercising and the progress I have made, but I can't handle the emotional toll that occurs later. I just don't like feeling that crash after it is over.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I could use some more friends on here. Support never hurts.

Replies

• wlgreen379
    Options
    bump
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you eat something after your workout? You probably need to, could be low blood sugars from the exercising. Thatl'l make you cranky.
    Lots of people swear by chocolate milk for a post-workout drink/snack.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    not sure, i'm usually pretty calm after a workout
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Low blood sugar makes me a raging B*.

Try eating something w/i 30 mins after you're done working out.
  • Maria052007
    Maria052007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've been working out for a while or not, but some ppl get exertion head aches, they go away normally quickly. Also it could be an adjustment to a new routine. But, my guess is with the others. Eat after working out. Have some carbs and protein. Make sure you get enough water!! Dehydration can also cause irritability.
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    Low blood sugar would be my first thought.
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I always did that the few times I tried to eat a low carb diet. I think I made it a week the last time. Each day was progressively worse and it finally ended with me crying in the fetal position on the living room floor at 1pm in the afternoon for no reason whatsoever. Thirty minutes after eating a sandwich I was fine again. Maybe you need carbs?
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I tend to have the opposite effect. I am usually a little slap-happy after I work out. I would look at what you are eating... either before or after...
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the low blood sugar thing. If I don't eat something (better n peanut butter sandwich is my go to) after I work out, I don't get angry but I do get panicy and emotional, I'll cry at the drop of a hat. But if I eat and sip on some water, I don't have that issue.
  • a21smp
    a21smp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If eating something (ie, carbs, protein bars, etc) doesn't work then you might want to consider changing your workout times. Maybe work out at night when you get off work instead of in the am or vice versa. You could also ask your doctor to check your hormone levels; maybe something is a little off there? Good luck whatever it is, I hope you figure it out.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely try eating something after you work out, or maybe a protein bar before you work out.

Also try listening to positive music such as gospel, and encourage yourself during your workout
  • yvonnefizer
    Options
    Hi, when i used to work out I would eat a spoonful of peanutbutter. It is high in protein and the sugar will help if it is low blood sugar. Or you could try a protein bar. Protein is always good after a workout.
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I am eating a protein bar about 30 minutes before I exercise. Today I'll try to save it for when I am done. I really hope that helps.

Lee
  • wlgreen379
    Options

Thanks for the LiveStrong article. It's my first time on there and there is a ton of good stuff.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've experienced some of this myself. I'm still not sure what caused it, but I'm guessing it has to do with blood sugar. My husband pointed out to me that it was happening since I started weight training. And it only happened at the beginning, I haven't done it lately. Maybe it's the body shifting and adjusting?