over eating

Options
No matter how hard I try, I always end up eating WAY too much. Any advice on how I can control myself?

Replies

• cindylooi
    cindylooi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Portioning your food is the best option for you to avoid overeating.

If you're eating at home it is a lot easier to control this habit because portion your food, for example if you are eating snack (veggies and dip) portion the amount you will be eating and avoid eating anything else after. Water is another option if you are feeling hungry still.

If you are eating out and your meal is huge, ask them for a takeout container prior to eating and portion what you will not be eating so you will only eat the correct amount instead of overeating.
  • Harlin12
    Harlin12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out and your meal is huge, ask them for a takeout container prior to eating and portion what you will not be eating so you will only eat the correct amount instead of overeating.
    [/quote]

Thanx, Like this idea
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my day. I will usually workout first thing in the morning and then plan my day's food or at least a rough outline of what I'm going to eat and then adjust as necessary through out the day.
  • teamflatbelly
    teamflatbelly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What helped me was I bought small containers and whatever didn't fit in the container I put away for the next day. I would have a meat veggie and a side. :)
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem! I'm trying to determine WHY I do it so to prevent it hopefully in the future. I might do it due to a situation where I don't feel entirely comfortable so I just eat to keep my mouth busy, or also I eat when I'm stressed or trying to avoid doing something. Also during meal times I usually feel the I need more than the canada food guide recommends... so I've tried to have smaller meals between each main meal so to make it easier on the metabolism and not feel so famished when it comes to dinner. I hate feeling hungry and am not good with depriving myself of food, so I feel for ya.
  • a21smp
    a21smp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Portion control is a good way but I find it to be easier not to even put more then you should have in front of yourself. For example, when I pack lunches for work I only pack what is reasonable to eat in a tupperware and that's it. If I need to snack then I try to snack on protein bars, high fiber bars or veggies/fruit. Breakfast I stay within a calorie range and mostly eat the same few things and for dinners I set my plate and put the rest of the food away before I even eat (less temptation to eat more).

Also, make sure your eating balanced meals, protein, carbs and veggie in each meal. It will help you feel more full and will help prevent overeating.

Hope this helps a little :flowerforyou:
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I time myself when I eat. Usually when people binge they eat large amounts of food really quickly. It takes time for your brain to recognize you're full. Giving yourself plenty of time to eat can really help you notice your full time. It took me 25 minutes to eat a sandwich and some pretzels the other day. I was soooo full. If you don't have a stopwatch on you, count the number of bites you take. I usually do 20-30 bites, or until everything is basically mush in my mouth. Or count to 10 (slowly) every time you take a bite. Never put more food in your mouth if you haven't swallowed what was in there before. Another thing I need to be more conscious of is making sure I put my fork or spoon down after every bite. This worked so well for me and I honestly had no idea I was eating so quickly. I went from eating a bowl of oatmeal in 45 seconds to eating it in 3 minutes. Slowing down has also really helped me taste food even more (you really don't realize how much taste you're missing out on when you eat rapidly).

I haven't binged since February 2 :) Good luck to you.
  • NikohlMariee
    NikohlMariee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey there

If you've just started logging, another option might be not to cut down your calories to what MFP suggests immediately. After all, if you're used to eating large portions or very calorie-dense meals, it's a bit of a shock to the system!

You could try logging what you would usually eat and cut back over a week or so to your target calorie intake. I also found that it's also quite an eye opener to find out what your current 'usual' day adds up to.

Good luck - MFP is fantastic!
  • Louisa1979
    Louisa1979 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Measure and weigh your portions! 40g of breakfast cereal seems like a half portion but its not! Similarly with pasta and rice, only cook one measured portion.
  • mrsjads
    Options
    Hi I have the same problem, especially if I like everything on the plate even if I am full I can't leave it!
    I can't really tell you why I do it, I am an emotional eater and it sounds greedy but I don't think I am overly greedy!

The only advice I have been given and can offer is to put your fork down and really chew each mouthful and listen to when your body is full and had enough! Maybe plate up smaller portions to cause if you still hungry you can always go get more! I use my kids plates and bowls now x
    Feel free to add x
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Avoid having lots of food in the house to overeat with.

Take the portion of food you are eating away from the rest of the food - put the rest away if you can.

Stop after you finish eating the portion, wait 10 minutes before going for more - drink some water if needed.

Have more water in general.

Chew a lot and enjoy your food as much as you can.

Eat mindfully.