How I broke my plateau...could possibly help someone else.

Options
Hi all,

So for the past two months I've been stuck at the dreaded plateau. It SUCKED!! I was feeling so defeated and tried so hard to increase my workout intensity and reduce my caloric intake. It didn't work. Finally, I was so tired and sore I took one "lazy" day where I just walked at a high incline for 30-45 mins at a slow speed. I sweated my *kitten* off and the next day...5 pounds gone. Now I know that's all water weight, but I kept doing the slow speed high incline and voila 5 more pounds. I've finally broken the plateau and am on a consistent 2 lb. a week loss again. I don't know if this will help others because I know we all lose differently. But, if you're looking for something to try, this might help.

Remember:

1) Increase incline

2) Increase time

3) Decrease speed

Hope it helps!!

P.S. Write back in a week and let me know if it worked for you too.

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Bump......
    I'm going to try this.....
    I walk on the flat at work (before and during my lunch), but can certainly go slower at a high incline when I am at home in the late afternoon/early evenings.
    Thanks!
    Kaye
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you! I'm going to try this... I woke up this morning and weighed and measured myself and I've been the same for a while now, too long for an impatient girl like me! I already walk at 3% incline at 3.3 mph, maybe I'll up it to 5 or 6% and walk slower and see if that helps. I will keep you posted!
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Will try.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I walk slow, at 3.2mph, on a 11% incline, burns approx 720 cal/hr, OR I can jog at 5mph with 0% incline and get the same results....

While jogging is fine, I can't maintain that speed for 45 min like I can the walking.

Also ( big plus) the walking on a incline is INCREDIBLE for changing the shape of your buttocks !! ;)
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tried the inclines for a good week back in January for 30 minutes/6x week. I found the incline higher than 3.5 really bothered my knees. It did nothing on the scales for me. I've since ditched my beloved treadmill and am solely doing the 30 Day Shred. (I did 15-20 minutes on the treadmill before doing the Shred each night for 15 nights and that did squat too.) When that's done, I'll go back to it and see if I can get "unstalled".
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    its realy all about sticking with it. same thing happens to me if bin on 3 long ( 5 to 6 months ) diets to lose 30 to 40 lbs and each time its the same. once and awhile you seem stuck or even go up and you know your on track with your cal intake then bam down 2 or more pounds in one day this is normal. also this is why this app is so great as long as you keep to your cal goal.
  • jal129
    Options
    I walk slow, at 3.2mph, on a 11% incline, burns approx 720 cal/hr, OR I can jog at 5mph with 0% incline and get the same results....

While jogging is fine, I can't maintain that speed for 45 min like I can the walking.

Also ( big plus) the walking on a incline is INCREDIBLE for changing the shape of your buttocks !! ;)

I'm the same way. I can run for like 30 minutes before I burn out and don't ever wanna do it again. But, I find with the slow speed/high incline I can go for hours and still feel good (sometimes better) when I get off. Plus, the fact that I don't absolutely abhor exercising the next day is a benefit. The key is to pop in a good DVD and forget you're even working out. :)