How many can't remember being thin?

Options
One of my biggest challenges right now is that I don't have a "picture" in my head of what I could look like if I were at a normal, healthy weight... I started gaining weight when I was about 11 or 12, so I actually cannot remember a time when I wasn't overweight. A lot of people say they want to go back to the time when they were a size 4 or size 6, but I can't remember ever being under a size 10 or 12. It's harder to feel patient about reaching your goal when you don't have a picture to work toward...at least for me.

How does everyone else deal with this?

Replies

• buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the heavy side, even in high school. I was fairly skinny as a kid and into jr. high and then I just started blimping out. I have no idea what I will look like as a thin adult. My younger sister is super tall, thin and gorgeous and I'm really hoping I look like her.

Not sure what I'll do if I lose the weight and end up just looking funny. :)
  • KaelumsMommy
    Options
    I was thin when I was child.. so I see myself in pictures and wonder 'what happened'
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had been obese for so many years but I definately remember my bikini days. My kids are in awe tho because their entire lives (oldest is 17) I have been heavy. They constantly remark on the changes in my body but more importantly the changes in my attitude. I now feel good about my accomplishments and it makes me so much happier and less stressed on a daily basis.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I never ever remember being thin. I never was. It is hard for me to imagine.
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been round since birth. I can't imagine myself thin, I can imagine myself healthy though. I do remember being in grade 1 and comparing my little fat legs to all of the other girls with skinny legs. At the time I remember thinking it was hilarious because I could make my legs wobble and they couldn't. Not laughing now though. :ohwell:

I did try cutting out a picture of my head and putting on a healthy, slim body and it just looked strange - think lollipop head. Best inspiration for me has been looking through the success stories with pics, especially those who are similar height and starting weight. :happy:
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I don't know what I look like thin.. so for now I just picture a 'What if' body. It's better than picturing your face on the body of a treasure troll doll at least.
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't know what I look like thin.. so for now I just picture a 'What if' body. It's better than picturing your face on the body of a treasure troll doll at least.

Haha treasure troll doll...love it. And your profile picture is hilarious.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have been fat since I was 6... 5 I was normal (and freaking adorible, just saying).. but after that it all went down hill...
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I can remember being healthy. I don't think I was ever "THIN".. I am getting back to healthy again. I was always kinda in shape as a kid. I didn't get fat until I was in my 20's and 30's... WOW, I am old to say that huh, I know that by the time I am 40, I will be in my healthy state again. Hopefully before 37 to be honest.

I think whats sad is when you see a fat kid with the fat parent. Its one thing to throw your own life away, but to have a fat kid and keep feeding them crap food, you are killing someone else. Guess what I am at here is wondering if you can't remember being thin, is it your fault, or is it your parents. Some of you on here say you were fat as a kid, You can't take blame for that, but you can change it now and prevent it in your own children. Good luck on your journeys out there. Don't mind me, its like 1 am, and I am tired and stuck at work with nothing to do but think... its amazing what happens when the mind wanders around...
  • a21smp
    a21smp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was never thin or skinny so I'm in the same boat. I've been overweight since I was about 5 or 6. I guess the ways I deal with it is rather then looking at how thin I can get I'm trying to get as healthy for me as I can get. For me it's just a matter of changing your perspective since there really is noting to compare to there really shouldn't be a disappointment. We can only be ourselves, not anyone else. Good Luck!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Having never been thin, it's really hard to wrap my brain around the possibility. I just keep reminding myself how amazing it will be to finally see my face and body the way they were meant to be. It'll be like meeting the real me for the first time.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I remember what I looked like being thin but there are two things I know. I will never look like that again. I was an athlete but I also know I do not want to look like that again. I want to totally reinvent myself and no matter how hard it is I try to focus on the present and the future instead of the past.
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    True memory? No. But when I see the pictures, I cry.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can remember, because it wasnt long ago at all! It makes me very mad! But also motivates me to work out super hard every day so i can get back to it...
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    I have been fat since I was 6... 5 I was normal (and freaking adorible, just saying).. but after that it all went down hill...

Just like my daughter. <3 She is now 19.
    I have been trying to encourage her to join me on this journey, but she's just not there yet...
  • annekevee
    Options
    Also can't remember being thin. In my head i've always been fat. The other day I found a picture of myself from when i was about fourteen or fifteen and saw that i wasn't fat at all in that picture. Your mind can play tricks on you.
    For the future i just imagine different parts of my body being toned (no thighs rubbing together, no wobbly belly, etc.) Hope one day to see the whole picture in the mirror :smile:
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I don't don't remember being thin at all! I started gaining around 10 or 11! I guess I will have to find some old pics so I can remind myself! It's hard!
  • forgottenfraggle
    Options
    I remember the clothes I wore and the way I felt. But I was also in high school the last time I was below a size 8. But I got hips and breasts at an extremely young age and pretty much knew I would always be curvy. Wish I had paid attention and continued taking care of myself, but like all teenagers I thought I was invincible. Here I am 33 and not remembering the last time I was below a size twelve.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was scrawny back in high school...literally a stick figure. However, in college I started gaining weight. I have been a roller coaster when it comes to weight, and its been 6+ years since I've been fit...but I still don't remember it.
  • tegsa
    tegsa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've always been chunky. I have a picture when I was in the first grade and I can see my belly sticking out, lol. When I first started on my healthy journey, I looked at the healthy BMI ranges and kind of just went off that for where I want to be..hopefully it works out okay.