in need of some support

Options
i've been at a plateau for 2 months now, i think.. it finally got to me last week and i've been slacking with my diet and exercise. i'm in a funk and i need some serious motivation, support and tips. anyone?

Replies

• allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    Hi! We've all hit a brick wall at times. Don't worry, THIS SLUMP WON'T LAST. What will last is the pride and satisfaction you feel when you realize you kept hammering at that wall until it crumbled in front of you and you leave the rubble behind you as you move forward toward your goal.
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    C'mon! Don't give up. We all have good weeks and bad weeks. Try dropping 50-100 calories off what you have been eating. Maybe that will break the plateau. Or maybe switch up your exercises. Your body tends to get used to what activity you are doing and it is not challenged anymore.... I know you can do this!!!!
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    I see you have made some GREAT progress... you can do this. Try changing something up... try different foods or new exercises. Dance like a lunatic around your living room in your pajamas to your favorite tunes... go for a walk or hike or run in a place you've always wanted to go... skip rope... gather some friends to play Red Rover. Doing something like this will serve two purposes: shake up your routine, and get you focused on the positive feelings that FUN activities provide.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just remember that your losses will never be linear. Your body will eventually catch up & you will have to work a little harder than you did the day prior.

Do not quit.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Would help if your diary was open, but have a think, is there anyway you can improve your diet? Its not just about calories, thats important but eating clean is important too. Are you using wholewheat instead of refined carbs. Are you using sugar subs like splenda /truvia rather than honey/sugar. Are you eating processed foods or are you eating really good , healthy steamed/boiled vegies, white fish/meat, wholegrains. Think about ways you can improve the quality of your diet.

I personally find the other way to get out of a funk is to try something new that interests you. Everyone gets great results of 30 Day Shred for instance, and its such a small time commitment and just 30 days, that might give you a big of a kickstart to get back into it. Try to think of a new programme you can find that interests you and gets you focused not just on the scales but other achievemnets such as muscle growth or improved fitness.

Someone mentioned fun. Its important to your mental health and motivation! Find something fun thats active and that gives your body and your mind a good kickstart!
  • heleflump
    Options
    I'd suggest coming at this from a different angle - get all those old photos from before you started and write down all those feelings you had, maybe write them under each photo - then (and this is fun part) take loads of gorgeous photos of you now and make a photo collage - write down all the BEST compliments you have received over your wieghtloss journey (you have done so well there must be loads of them) and write them under the photos and note who they were from - then really study them. Sometimes we get so caught up in the scales and tape measure you lose track of how far you have come. Once you have this powerful visual reminder of what you have achieved - do what all the above poster's have said - you will be so motivated to try something new. From what I have seen on here many plateaus last for about two months and then something shifts and they start losing again. Give yourself a treat when you hit your next minigoal too - new workout clothes, clothes, trip out. Go on - YOU CAN DO THIS - you have proved you can. Good luck and re post when it starts working!! :happy:
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was so close to giving up yesterday, it's so hard isn't it. I think keep your diary open to others, log everything good or bad, and gather some MFP friends who will look at your diary each day and support you.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    We're in the "funk club" together right now. I'm in the same situation and it's getting really discouraging. The main thing is to stick with it and try to modify where we can...increase our exercise in a different way by trying something new. I just started karate classes with my kids to try to get in some extra exercise (and stray away from the boring home workouts I've been doing for the past 6 months). You need to find something to shake it up and shake yourself out of the rut. We're all here to help lend a hand and a shoulder for support when you need it!!! :-)
  • allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone.. those are really good ideas. i feel like i'm starting to come out of it.. at least mentally. my motivation is returning and i thought of why i started in the first place.. and what a huge change has come so far and how excited i am to see the changes in the future. i'm never going to give up. i think i'm going to buy the 30 day shred and see if that helps :) i do have my diary open, not many people comment anymore :/