Skinny Pancakes?

Options
roguex_1979
roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
Anyone have a nice recipe for low fat pancakes?

I usually make pancakes like this:

Flour
Egg
Milk
Sugar

I don't know measurements, really it's just feel now I've been making them so long, and I usually top with butter and golden syrup. Mine rise like american pancakes (they are thick, not thin like crepes) and are soft and fluffy.

I suppose I could use low cal sugar substitute, egg white only, skimmed milk and only have lemon juice rather than golden syrup, but there must be tastier ways...anyone have any ideas??

Replies

• aine_1989
    Options
    BUMP ...its pancake tuesday soon i wann know one too!! :D
  • Miatta81
    Options
    This is what I use after my 15 mile run. It serves 2 people. The polpa di mirtillo is sugar free apple sauce (Sorry folks, I live in Italy!)

For me and my husband the flavour is the same as regular pancake. Good luck and let me know what you think. Personally I could have skipped the sugar because I used maple syrup but my husband was not having it. The apple sauce replaced the oil and I used a non-sticking pan so no oil was needed for frying. Google replacing oil with apple sauce for baking. Very interesting. Used it for chocolate cup cakes as well and it turned out fine. So here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
    No-Name - White All-Purpose Flour, 0.5 cup
    Whole Wheat Flour, 0.5 cup
    Generic - Eggs, 2 egg
    Polpa Di Mirtillo E Mela / Natura Nuova # I # - Frutta In Polpa, 70 g. (= 3 tablespoon sugar free apple sauce)
    Buttermilk Liquid Low Fat, 238 ml
    Baking Powder, 1 tsp
    Baking soda, 0.5 tsp
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 3 tsp

Per Serving: 375 calories
  • Miatta81
    Options
    Anyone have a nice recipe for low fat pancakes?

I usually make pancakes like this:

Flour
    Egg
    Milk
    Sugar

I don't know measurements, really it's just feel now I've been making them so long, and I usually top with butter and golden syrup. Mine rise like american pancakes (they are thick, not thin like crepes) and are soft and fluffy.

I suppose I could use low cal sugar substitute, egg white only, skimmed milk and only have lemon juice rather than golden syrup, but there must be tastier ways...anyone have any ideas??

I tend not to venture far away from the flavours I like because then it's not something I will eat often. Think what you will be willing to eat longterm.
  • Miatta81
    Options
    This is what I use after my 15 mile run. It serves 2 people. The polpa di mirtillo is sugar free apple sauce (Sorry folks, I live in Italy!)

For me and my husband the flavour is the same as regular pancake. Good luck and let me know what you think. Personally I could have skipped the sugar because I used maple syrup but my husband was not having it. The apple sauce replaced the oil and I used a non-sticking pan so no oil was needed for frying. Google replacing oil with apple sauce for baking. Very interesting. Used it for chocolate cup cakes as well and it turned out fine. So here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
    No-Name - White All-Purpose Flour, 0.5 cup
    Whole Wheat Flour, 0.5 cup
    Generic - Eggs, 2 egg
    Polpa Di Mirtillo E Mela / Natura Nuova # I # - Frutta In Polpa, 70 g. (= 3 tablespoon sugar free apple sauce)
    Buttermilk Liquid Low Fat, 238 ml
    Baking Powder, 1 tsp
    Baking soda, 0.5 tsp
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 3 tsp

Per Serving: 375 calories

One egg would have been enough but I really love eggs.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Waffle and Pancake Mix

(I personally love organic extra virgin coconut oil, it is what I use. Once you taste it you won't use anything else in your waffles.
    Just measure it out and melt it in a small pot)

4.5 cups flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    4.5 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Put in jar and shake well to mix.

To 1.5 cups mix in a bowl add one egg, and 1 1/3 cup butter milk, and 2 tbs oil, 1 tsp vanilla, and mix well. Let stand 5 min.
    Using a measuring cup measure 1/3 cup into each wedge.

Makes 2 whole round belgium waffles.

For Pancakes:

The only thing you change would be 1.5 cups buttermilk. Everything else stays the same.

For a lighter waffle exchange low fat milk for the oil.

Experiment and add your favorite fruit or even bacon, sausage, and cheese...even a scrambled egg.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    you can make panckes too wit h this
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine like this. This recipe makes around 8. They are nice and light and dont give you that heavy feeling you sometimes get after eating pancakes!

57g plain flour
    2 medium eggs
    142g/5oz fat free fromage frais
    145ml/¼pt skimmed milk

Fry Light

Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the eggs and fat free fromage frais and whisk until smooth. Pour in the milk and whisk again to form a batter. Stand for 30 minutes, then cook one at a time in a non-stick pan lightly sprayed with Fry Light.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've been making yummy pancakes with oatmeal, instead of flour.

These amounts are for 3 or 4 small pancakes, or 1 large. (Enough for 1 person!)

30 grams rolled oats
    40 grams apple sauce (i only had sugar added apple sauce on hand, but could use sugar free for less cals)
    1 egg white
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    A dash of splenda (or whatever you prefer, if anything)

Blend dry ingredients until fine. MIx in the rest of the ingredients, and cook in a non stick pan with a little cooking spray.
    (The above works out to 163 calories, plus whatever toppings you use.)

For brunch today I added some linseed, psyllium and half a serve of protein powder, and served with banana and maple syrup, for a total of 385 calories, inc 19 grams of protein. YUM!

Also, add a dash of cinnamon to the batter, and then some chopped apples just before flipping the pancakes is good too.

Experiment! So many things you could do :wink:
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    Just made these from my Biggest Loser Cookbook night before last and posted a topic about it because I had to share. They were great!!! I ate the whole recipe and made 1/4 cup sized pancakes and got 4 big ones! With a 1/4 cup sugar free syrup it only totals 300 calories!!! My 3 year old even ate them! I used nonstick spray and the key is to let them cook mostly before flipping otherwise you are going to have a mess. Also no need for the oven step! I will be doing them with strawberries next!

Better Blueberry Pancakes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
    1/2 cup whole-grain oat flour
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! spray
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
    Sugar-free, low-calorie pancake syrup (optional)
    100% fruit orange marmalade spread (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200°F.

In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, flour, egg white, baking soda, vanilla,
    and salt. Whisk just until blended. Stir in the blueberries. Let stand for 10
    minutes.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough for a spritz
    of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to mist lightly with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! cooking spray. Return the pan to the heat. Pour the batter in 1/8-cup dollops onto the skillet to form 3 or 4
    pancakes. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the tops and
    the bottoms are golden brown. Flip. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Transfer to an oven-proof plate. Cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with cooking spray and the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes total.

Place 4 pancakes on each of 2 serving plates. Serve your blueberry pancakes
    immediately with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! spray, syrup, and/or fruit spread, if desired.

Nutritional Info Per Serving:
    140 Calories, 8g Protein, 20g Carbs, 3g Fat, 5mg Cholesterol, 3g Fiber,
    687mg Sodium, 3 Points+ Plus
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I just posted this on a new topic!

These are so yummy, I just had to share =)

1 cup oatmeal , ground (I just put it in the blender and let that grind it up)
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    3 tablespoons Splenda granular
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    4 eggs
    1 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1⁄3; cup almond milke
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Nutritional Facts for Fluffy Protein Cottage Cheese Pancakes
    Serving Size: 1 (39 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 15
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 56.8
    Total Fat 2.0 g
    Saturated Fat 0.6 g
    Cholesterol 51.3 mg
    Sodium 157.5 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
    Sugars 0.9 g
    Protein 4.3 g
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have pancakes just go for it. It's one of those foods that are always going to be High Carb and Calorie because who can eat 1 pancake. Oatmeal in a pancake is not a pancake to me. I haven't had one in a couple years. Miss them. :sad:
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I made these yesterday:
    Banana-Yogurt Pancakes Good for breakfast, snack or dessert

Begin the day right: these banana-yogurt pancakes have just 14 grams of carbohydrates (in each serving). This is an easy and delicious twist on plain old pancakes-so good you may even use them for a dessert, just add fresh fruit a dollop of whipped cream, oh sooo good!

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted 1 tbsp baking soda 1 packet sugar substitute 1 large and very ripe banana, mashed 8 oz fat-free plain yogurt 1/2 cup milk (preferably skim milk) 1/2 tbsp canola oil 1 tsp vanilla extract 4 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks butter-flavored cooking spray

*** You can add nuts to the batter to make it a bit crunchy. ****Try different fruits or berries in the batter to change the flavor.

Instructions

1. After sifting the flour, combine it with the baking soda and sugar substitute in a large bowl. 2. Stir in the yogurt, banana, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir until just moistened (don't over-mix). 3. In two parts, gently fold in the beaten egg whites. 4. Lightly coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. With a ladle, make 4-inch pancakes. Cook until the bubbles come to the top of the pancake. Turn and continue to cook until browned. Keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes.

Nutritional Info (Per Serving)

* 76 calories (7% calories from fat) * 3g protein * 1 total fat (0.1 saturated fat) * 14g carbohydrates * 1g dietary fiber * 0 cholesterol * 236mg sodium
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I make mine using Chobani Greek yogurt. 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 -1 cup milk (I play with this a little so that they are runny enough to pour), 1/4 cup egg whites. I add protein powder to mine but you obviously don't have to. A few packets of Splenda, a sprinkle of cinnamon.
    Topped with country crock margarine and sugar free syrup.....but fruit would be yummy too.

I make these nearly every weekend. My four year old eats them as well. I eat the leftovers warmed up in the microwave.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump! Who doesn't love healthier versions of the things they enjoy eating! Love this topic!
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I use the recipe I have always used, but cut the calories in the topping. I like to cook up a cup or so of frozen strawberries with a teaspoon of sugar. Mash them once they are cooked, then add cornstarch to thicken. Put on waffles or pancakes. I do not use butter or margarine on top of my pancakes or waffles if I use this as a topping. I also got some sugar free syrup this week, but haven't tried it yet. I also sometimes add blueberries to my pancakes, then top that with low fat margarine only, no syrup. Hope this helps!
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love using skinnytaste.com for breakfast ideas, this is one I have alot, super yummy!

Banana Nut Pancakes
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 2 pancakes • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 145.7 • Fat: 4.0 g • Protein: 6.7 g • Carb: 22.1 g • Fiber: 3.1 g

WITHOUT NUTS:
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 2 pancakes • Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 129.1 • Fat: 2.4 g • Protein: 6.3 g • Carb: 21.8 g • Fiber: 3.0 g

1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 large banana, very ripe, mashed
    1 cup 1% milk
    3 large egg whites
    2 tsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
    olive oil or butter flavor cooking spray

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine milk, egg white, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas in a bowl and mix until smooth. Combine wet ingredients with the dry and mix well with a spoon until there are no more dry spots. Don't over-mix.

Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Spray cooking spray to lightly coat and pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.

Makes about 3 cups of batter which yields 12 pancakes.
  • kallsenmama
    Options
    Try Ellie Krieger's Whole Wheat pancakes. They are delicious and nutritious. My family loves them - goodbye Bisquick. I love to cook and find healthy, good tasting recipes for just about everthing on-line.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Pancakes (Recipe originally from The South Beach Diet Book)

Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups rolled oats
    2 cups fat-free milk
    1 egg
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons sugar substitute
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
    In a medium bowl, combine the oats and milk and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the egg, flour, wheat germ, baking powder, sugar substitute, oil, and salt, mixing until evenly blended and only small lumps remain. Let the batter stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Working in batches, pour the batter by 1/4 cups into the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the top starts to bubble and the bottom is browned. Turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat to make a total of 12 pancakes.

Nutritional information
    Per pancake:
    90 calories
    2 g fat (0 g sat)
    14 g carbohydrate
    1/2 g protein
    1 g dietary fiber
    250 mg sodium
    20 mg cholesterol
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options